(Topic ID: 261476)

SC-01 speech synthesizer replacement?

By ForceFlow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    1CBCD930-B536-44AC-B1D3-2B687D239FD8 (resized).jpeg
    7FF2EE16-D7EE-4E57-B5E2-5D48F4E2E575 (resized).jpeg
    SC-01.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 3 years ago

Nice work!
    Are you using the Votrax core from MAME or PinMAME? MAME's will be the latest and had some fixes applied in the past 6 months.

To play some speech in Black Holes sound test mode, see the flowchart from the manual here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-no-sound/page/2#post-5190666

From memory, Black Hole uses the voice pitch change when you tilt the game and it repeats the word "Tilt" a few times each with decreasing pitch.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from albianto:

I guess voice pitch change for Black Hole is not so critical then (at least for most owners I think).

I think most Black Hole owners would like to have the pitch change support. Of course it depends if you're able to implement it.

To get an idea of the the pitch change effect, try it in PinMAME.
    > pinmame blckhole
    Enable speech in the sound board DIP switches via the 'TAB' key menu.
    Press F3 to reboot.
    After 5 seconds game boot-up, insert a coin by pressing the '5' key.
    Then press the '1' key to start a game.
    Pressing the 'Insert' key is the tilt switch and you will get some idea of the changing pitch effect.

I'm not sure but the pitch change might also be used on the voice effect when the ball enters the lower playfield. And also the slam switch effect ('Home' key in PinMAME).

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from albianto:

I can ground the 5 lines with a jumper but I only get those 5 sounds. Is there a grounding method that allows to trigger the other sound effects?

The 5 signals should be used in binary fashion. For Black Hole, these are the commands interfaced to the sound board for speech that I see running PinMAME:

0x1F = wait for new command
    0x1C = "Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt" (descending pitch)
    0x12 = enter lower playfield "Ooowww"
    0x10 = slam "Ooowww"
    0x08 = "Shoot Captive Hole"
    0x07 = "Complete Bank For Re-Entry"
    0x06 = "Enter Gravity Tunnel"
    0x05 = "Re-Entry Attept Has Failed"
    0x04 = "Re-Entry Accomplished"
    0x03 = "Extra Ball Lit"
    0x02 = "Shoot for Special"
    0x01 = "G-Force Accelerated"
    0x00 = "Ball Captured"

Items in "quotes" are voice word/effects.

0x1F (all high on signals S16, S8, S4, S2, S1 to the sound board) tells the sound board to be ready for a future command.

I tried Volcano, it uses almost the same pitch change effect with the "Tilt" word as Black Hole. Most of the Ooowww voices are different pitch from another.

0x1F = wait for new command
    0x1C = "Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt Tilt" (descending pitch)
    0x1B = "Volcano"
    0x18 = "Eeewwww"
    0x15 = "Shoot Lit Volcano"
    0x14 = "Eruption"
    0x13 = "Oowwww"
    0x12 = "Oowwww"
    0x10 = slam "Oooowww"
    0x0D = "Oooowww"
    0x0B = "Ooowww Ooowww"
    0x08 = "Danger"
    0x07 = "Lava Rising"
    0x06 = "Ball Save"
    0x05 = "Fire Pit"
    0x04 = "It's Gonna Blow"
    0x02 = "It's Gonna Blow"
    0x01 = "Oooowww"
    0x00 = "Throw Me A Sacrifice"

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from albianto:

I tried yesterday with Black Hole ROMs. 0x18 is very easy to trigger for example. Just jumper Sound 16 and Sound 8 to ground and it plays.

Thanks, I inverted the five command bits in the post above with relation to what's on the five S16-S1 sound signals to the sound board, and corrected the spoken words for Volcano. The voice command originally listed as 0x18 is now 0x07, i.e. sound signals S16 and S8 go low.

2 years later
    #95 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Interesting video on q-bert voices, and a pre-announcement for an upcoming drop-in replacement SC-01 chip

Scott Savage in that video has a pinside account SMSavage32 and posted about taking on this project above if you scroll up to post #75
    He hasn't been here for 8 months but hopefully he'll return once it's complete with details.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sc-01-speech-synthesizer-replacement?tu=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.