(Topic ID: 261476)

SC-01 speech synthesizer replacement?

By ForceFlow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    1CBCD930-B536-44AC-B1D3-2B687D239FD8 (resized).jpeg
    7FF2EE16-D7EE-4E57-B5E2-5D48F4E2E575 (resized).jpeg
    SC-01.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Since the supply of remaining SC-01 chips is basically down to nothing at this point, has anyone developed a replacement for the SC-01 / SC-01-A speech synthesizer chip?

Maybe an arduino speech synthesizer shield?

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I thought pascal had come out with a board for these?

It sounds like his board uses the chip.

https://www.flippp.fr/speech.php

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

pascal sells it but i think you will find its a swemmer board (so you'll be able to get it locally in usa)

Oh, yep--looks like the image on pascal's site is just spun around so the board is upside down. I didn't catch that earlier.

1 year later
    #56 2 years ago
    Quoted from flooby47:

Hi, I have read with interest the comments about the SC01A synthesizer chip. I used to use these in a talking scientific calculator I designed a number of years ago. I was amazed to hear this chip had been used in many diverse devices. I happen to be doing some work with DCC model trains and the possibility of adding speech and sounds cheaply. I found a synthesizer chip from Speakjet which sounds remarkably like the SC01A and currently available at around £28.

Unfortunately, the speechjet chip is not a drop-in replacement for the SC-01.

Someone did comment a while back about adapting a speechjet to emulate an SC-01, but I'm not sure if there was enough detail to actually build something:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vortex-sc01-voice-chip#post-5901354

2 months later
    #62 2 years ago
    Quoted from SMSavage32:

I am the creator of the Speakjet. (Me and another guy named Jeff)
    The reason that the Speakjet sounds similar to the Votrax is because we based the functionality of it on the Votrax.
    However, we wanted the voice to be more understandable so we based the vocal data on Jeff's voice instead of the Votrax voice.
    That being said, we can always change it.
    So ... Is there any interest in making it a pin for pin drop in replacement for Votrax?
    Is it worth taking the time to do?

Yes...the original sc-01 chip is now completely and entirely unavailable. All the known stockpiles are gone.

Having a new drop-in replacement would be great

1 year later
    #89 1 year ago

Interesting video on q-bert voices, and a pre-announcement for an upcoming drop-in replacement SC-01 chip

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Speech chip tester:

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering&_ssn=smsavage&store_cat=0&store_name=yourstuffcentral&_oac=1&_nkw=speech

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

Nothing about a release date or price

I did a cursory search when I first saw the video, but didn't find any announcements or discussions posted about it anywhere else.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sc-01-speech-synthesizer-replacement?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.