(Topic ID: 261476)

SC-01 speech synthesizer replacement?

By ForceFlow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    1CBCD930-B536-44AC-B1D3-2B687D239FD8 (resized).jpeg
    7FF2EE16-D7EE-4E57-B5E2-5D48F4E2E575 (resized).jpeg
    SC-01.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from flooby47:

Hi, I have read with interest the comments about the SC01A synthesizer chip. I used to use these in a talking scientific calculator I designed a number of years ago. I was amazed to hear this chip had been used in many diverse devices. I happen to be doing some work with DCC model trains and the possibility of adding speech and sounds cheaply. I found a synthesizer chip from Speakjet which sounds remarkably like the SC01A and currently available at around £28.

The SpeakJet does sound very similar. Back in 2007 there was a project I wrote about and published in SERVO magazine. I used the SpeakJet and a small microcontroller to proxy all the signals and do the appropriate translation since the phonemes aren't the same. Plugged right into the SC-01A socket. At the time there were still SC-01A chips out there so it didn't make sense to shrink it down but I always considered that option since I have smaller surface mount versions of all the parts. You can find the article online here:

https://www.robotworkshop.com/robotweb/wp-content/uploads/servo200712_HERO_Speech_translator.pdf

#58 2 years ago

I am going to revisit the project that I had in the article and finally shrink it down to a small module. Just waiting on some of the microcontrollers so I don't have to redo all the code for it.

2 months later
    #63 2 years ago
    Quoted from SMSavage32:

I am the creator of the Speakjet. (Me and another guy named Jeff)
    The reason that the Speakjet sounds similar to the Votrax is because we based the functionality of it on the Votrax.
    However, we wanted the voice to be more understandable so we based the vocal data on Jeff's voice instead of the Votrax voice.
    That being said, we can always change it.
    So ... Is there any interest in making it a pin for pin drop in replacement for Votrax?
    Is it worth taking the time to do?

Hello Scott, I used the Speakjet to create a drop in replacement that was in SERVO magazine years ago. Back then I had intended to use the surface mount version of the Speakjet to make a small drop in replacement hybrid module but put it on the shelf since SC-01a chips were already around. I had worked out all the handshaking signals but a new version of the Speakjet could incorporate that and eliminate the need for a separate microcontroller like the SX28 that I used for the translation.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sc-01-speech-synthesizer-replacement?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.