(Topic ID: 113233)

SBM Restoration - ground problem (line filter, MOV, varistor)

By txx3ddq442

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2506.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider txx3ddq442.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Ok, I'm in the final stages of getting my Silverball Mania back together and today I needed to do some soldering with the playfield propped up. So, I grab my (metal) power strip and lean over the cabinet to place it in there for my soldering iron. I notice a slight tingle almost like a scratching from the side rails. I run my finger over it and sure enough, there's a tickle of voltage there. My Fluke tells me it's a bit more than a tickle... ~63VAC.

I had forgotten that I left the machine plugged in to do this and the voltage can only be felt while I'm touching the metal power strip and some Silverball Mania metal. The plug has the ground prong cut off and will obviously need to be replaced ASAP. Makes me wonder if I've discovered some sort of short / ground problem that warrants further investigation.

See attached for the incoming AC and associated schematic. It looks like the ground braid is tied to the chassis of FL1 and between the capacitors separating L and N and (should be) grounded at the receptacle. Is it possible that one of the caps in FL1 has shorted or partially shorted and is now essentially putting L (line voltage) onto the ground braid and all of the metal components in my cabinet? With the plug pulled, I get an open circuit across the varistor, an open circuit between L and braid and an open circuit between N and braid. Not sure, however what resistance a failed cap would present to a DMM. I haven't opened FL1 up yet.

Thoughts?

I've got some other strange problems with some feature lamps that I'll need to address after I get this thing grounded properly. The manual pretty much says "replace the lamp board." If that doesn't fix it, "replace the MPU". One thing at a time.

IMG_2505.JPGIMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2506.JPGIMG_2506.JPG

#3 9 years ago

Yeah, I had read through that some time ago and when I got that little tickle, it's the first thing I thought of. I'm replacing the entire cord. My concern, however, is that I've got something faulted to ground and I'll just trip the circuit breaker as soon as I plug the new cord in.

2 weeks later
#5 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The cord will probably fix it.

New cord fixed it right up.

Rather than keeping the 30+ year old cord and replacing the plug, I went ahead and bought a black extension cord, cut the end off and soldered the wires to the filter. Good as new.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
1,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 169.00
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider txx3ddq442.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sbm-restoration-ground-problem-line-filter-mov-varistor?tu=txx3ddq442 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.