• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
SB-300 J2 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi, everyone. I'm rebuilding a F2K and I'm at the point of replacing some connectors and caps on my SB-300 sound board. I need to replace J2 on the sound board because at some point before I bought it, someone replaced other connectors and routed the wires into basically a knot. Replacing J2 will help me undo that knot. Anyway, on J2, I was wondering why they would put two wires into pin 5? Pin 5 and 6 are shorted/soldered together. I'm assuming it's safe for me to put one of the wires in pin 5 and the other in pin 6? I understand why they did it on pins 2 and 3, they have 4 wires that both need to hit analog ground. I attached a pic for reference. J2 is bottom left. Pin 1 is on the right.

SB-300 J2 (resized).jpgSB-300 J2 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from dubby:

Anyway, on J2, I was wondering why they would put two wires into pin 5? Pin 5 and 6 are shorted/soldered together.

They're the 11.9V supply line and are daisy chained from the sound board to somewhere else. If you rewire as you suggest and then disconnect J2 from the sound board for test/diagnosis/repair, whatever component is daisy chained on the 11.9V supply wire will be lost. The sound board should not be wired such that disconnecting it affects functionality of other components in the game.
Highly suggest you do not separate them as it creates another point of failure. Those two wires need to be physically connected together for best connectivity.

#3 4 years ago

I think I understand what you're saying. The red/green wires always need to be connected and if I put one on 5 and one on 6, that won't be the case if I unplug J2. Doubtful that I ever disconnect it when the game is turned on, but who knows what someone else might do.

#4 4 years ago

Pins 5 and 6 are the same point. I bet if you remove the board the pins are tied together on the back side with a common solder pad. The problem with two wires on one pin is all the current is now all on that one pin. I'm sure it's fine in that the current for both wires is not exceeding the design capacity of the one pin. The schematic shows one wire from pin 5 and one from pin 6.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
#5 4 years ago

The 11.9V red-green wire comes from the solenoid driver board to the sound board then daisy chained to the MPU board for the valid power detector circuit.
If the wires were separated at the sound board connector, the game will not start if you disconnect the sound board because the MPU board wouldn't be getting 11.9V supply. If one of those connections at the sound board starts becoming bad (loose crimp terminal, fractured solder on the pin header) then you have intermittent game boot issues. Also if you had to send your sound board out for repair, you wouldn't be able to start/play the game in the meantime. That would be pretty undesirable. Imagine operators with games on location in this situation that had to take their sound board back to base for repair.

What problem are you trying to fix by separating them?

#6 4 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Not really trying to solve a problem but I would have separated the wires onto pin 5 and 6 if it was okay to do since I have to put a new connector on, anyway. But, I'm glad I asked. I understand now why the two wires have to always be connected. Makes a lot of sense and I appreciate your feedback.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 10.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 125.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sb-300-j2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.