• 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by russdx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

old (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fortnite-world-cup-pennsylvania-teen-kyle-bugha-giersdorf-takes-home-3-million-today-2019-07-28/

A teenager from Pennsylvania won $3 million and took home the top prize at the 2019 Fortnite World Cup on Sunday. Kyle "Bugha" Giersdorf scored 26 more points than runner-up "psalm" to win the eSports tournament held at Arthur Ashe Stadium in Queens.

#2 4 years ago

Maybe he'll buy Holiday Valley and give you free lift tickets

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Maybe he'll buy Holiday Valley and give you free lift tickets

Psalm in 2nd place won 1.8 million.... not bad for runner up..

#4 4 years ago
#5 4 years ago

All us pinball chumps are doing it wrong

#6 4 years ago

To put how big of a win that is into perspective it's more money then any professional golfer won for winning a major this year, including Tiger Woods win at this years Masters. Crazy.

#7 4 years ago

If this kid is smart enough, he'd setup a twitch and stream asap, bringing in far more than that in just a few months time and be set for life...

Imagine being that good at something? Damn...

#8 4 years ago

How much can be made on a Twitch Stream? Is it based on # watching or on commercials watched?

The #’s that fortnight draws is incredible. Didn’t I see 200+k watching yesterday? It was probably more.

Pinball should be so fortunate.

#9 4 years ago

It's $hit like this that has my kids wanting to be gamers and you-tubers.

#10 4 years ago

Read the other day that during the 60's the #1 thing kids wanted to be when they grew up was an astronaut and today it's a YouTube streamer / influencer...

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

How much can be made on a Twitch Stream? Is it based on # watching or on commercials watched?
The #’s that fortnight draws is incredible. Didn’t I see 200+k watching yesterday? It was probably more.
Pinball should be so fortunate.

Several millions in a month. The best video I ever saw about this came from a steamer himself.

That said, a very small percentage actually make enough to be able to do it for a living, and nearly everyone at the top has made it that far because they have connections.

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

It's $hit like this that has my kids wanting to be gamers and you-tubers.

Tell them to give it a shot right now while they are still young. I am a high school teacher. I had a class of 20 kids talking about what they were going to do when they got older. I shit you not when nearly half the class said either a rapper (2) or a steamer (7). I told all the steamers that I would help them out being a fellow gamer myself. I got only 1 of them to get the proper equipment to try it out. At first only his friends would watch, but after a month, not even his own buddies would help him out. He gave up in a little under two months time, changed his plans to engineering (what a swap).

So if your kids wanna be a streamer, maybe you should help them try now so they can fail and experience what that feels like.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Read the other day that during the 60's the #1 thing kids wanted to be when they grew up was an astronaut and today it's a YouTube streamer / influencer...

Doesn't necessarily surprise me. It's whatever is popular at the time.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Nhpolarbear:

How much can be made on a Twitch Stream?

Millions

#13 4 years ago

Twitch streaming / watching for video games must be a generational thing as I personally have zero interest in watching a stream of someone playing a game. I like playing video games but if I'm going to devote time to that hobby it's going to be actually playing video games versus watching them.

On a pinball related streaming note I think it's awesome that's there's people out there streaming pinball gameplay. However, I typically only tune in for a short period of time on a pinball stream if it's a game I either own or would like to own. Why? I don't want to any of the modes spoiled. New pins cost crazy money and if I'm going to buy a new pin I want to discover everything myself over the months and years of ownership. Same goes for code update stream, pass on those all the time. I rather look at the change log and then go play the game myself.

old (resized).jpgold (resized).jpg

#14 4 years ago

Sad commentary on today’s youth. It’s a long way to the end if you are still in your teens. Time to think long term rather than flash in the pan.

I’d be dumpster diving if I had to rely on my podcast to earn a living. Go ask Jack Danger how tough it is. Jack has one of the largest pinball audiences. Trust me when I tell you I heard him lamenting one evening about being a Fortnite twitcher. Tough to earn a living on pinball.

Big props to the kid who gave it a shot. Failure has a way of increasing motivation. Go be a software engineer. Ask Bill Gates how it went.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Twitch streaming / watching for video games must be a generational thing as I personally have zero interest in watching a stream of someone playing a game. I like playing video games but if I'm going to devote time to that hobby it's going to be actually playing video games versus watching them.

Didn't you just spend 3 hours watching a pinball stream last night?

Doesn't seem like such a leap in understanding that it has to be a "generational thing" to want to watch video games.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I personally have zero interest in watching a stream of someone playing a game.

I feel this way about baseball, hockey, basketball, all sports really. I'd rather watch a ted talk.

#17 4 years ago

You are not just watching someone playing a game. Streamers add commentary, role play, humor, and communicate with audience. Kind of like Mystery Science Theater 3000 but with video games mixed and social media. They mix in their personal lives/drama and the audience becomes emotionally invested. I find the whole thing fascinating. Old people think it's stupid but these guys have audiences in the millions and make a good money. My kids pretty much never watch any tv shows or really anything on normal tv. It's all youtube.

#18 4 years ago

Wait...how is he allowed to generate this much cash and not have it go to the NCAA and colleges?!?! OUTRAGE!!!!!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

If this kid is smart enough, he'd setup a twitch and stream asap, bringing in far more than that in just a few months time and be set for life...
Imagine being that good at something? Damn...

If I won $3 million at anything I’d already be set for life. Real estate and high yield stocks.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

"influencer" man i hate that word so much

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/say-what-3-million?hl=dandandan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.