(Topic ID: 60668)

Say something negative about each of your games...do it.

By jar155

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AB0FDD4E-FC1F-4014-B29B-55A03CFF59CA (resized).png
    dw_(resized).jpg
    IMG_0596_(2)_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    DSCN4300_(resized).JPG
    DSCN4298_(resized).JPG
    riplesyBackglass.jpg
    There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 10 years ago

Yeah, yeah, we're all great at being cheerleaders and groupies for our games and the designers who made them, but there's nothing perfect in this world. Let's hear one thing from each of the games that you own that you consider to be a flaw. No copout answers either where your criticism is actually a veiled compliment or bookended between praise. Just give an honest bit of criticism. I'll start.

Spider-Man - The art is bad. Also, for a game that flows so quickly, there are a LOT of stops. Yes, you can double flipper to skip, but even then the ball rests a lot.

Attack From Mars - The Attack Mars mode should have included other shots. It's just a hit the middle over and over deal. It would be cool to have to hit a ramp or loop between middle shots to "reload" your missile launcher or something.

Creature From the Black Lagoon - The hologram window can cause some unfair drains as it changes the ball momentum. Obviously, the hologram itself is also terribly problematic.

The Bride of Pinbot - Lack of modes make it a "shoot the left ramp" game unless you're committed to maxing out your score without a billion point chance. Most won't play that way, however.

Tron - The recognizer target blocking the Gem shot is a bummer. Too bad that there wasn't a bit more space here to allow for an unobstructed shot at Gem, because after dropping the disc once, it can get harder and harder to collect Gem shots as the game goes on.

AC/DC - The canon should always be controllable. I like randomness in games, but drains from it random firing is a step too far and it's annoying.

Twilight Zone - Shooting the skill shot is an invitation to drain without ever touching the ball due to the crazy dangerous pops. It's a shame you can't get a safe plunge when you hit the skill shot.

The Addams Family - Most of the modes can be outright ignored and getting to Tour the Mansion is a fairly safe endeavor. Very few risky shots, aside from bricked chair attempts.

OXO - The tic tac toe stuff is cool in concept, but too random in practice which is a real downer.

DE Simpsons - There's no real modes, it's just a get multiball and shoot the left ramp sort of game. Unlike BoP, you really need to just keep hitting that left ramp at all times.

The Simpsons Pinball Party - A lot of the really fun modes are hidden behind a lot of work. Most casual players will never see the best that the machine has to offer. The garage door is also somewhat problematic and when it only opens halfway, it's a real annoyance.

#2 10 years ago

MB: Hate how the balls bounces of dracs feet at times n heads SDTM. Need to remember to give the game a nudge as its coming down.

AFM: RTU is to easy to complete for how difficult it is to achieve.

WH2O: That darn Extra Ball target placement.

ACDC: Right inlane/outlane blocked by cannon only thing that get on nerves at times.

#3 10 years ago

White Water - "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide the Whirlpool!"

SS - not as funny as people think it is, but neither are some of the other "comedy" pins

IM - um... hmmm... pegs and lack of instant info. Dots, too.

Indy 500 - lock shot bounce outs, some of which immediately drain in the right outlane.

STTNG - Theme.

Shadow - Theme/lines. Why is the Shadow laughing maniacally throughout the movie?

Tron - Stacking strategies are not as good as IM's.

#4 10 years ago

SFII- Where do I start?

#5 10 years ago

NBAFB: I've made a million effing baskets, now what!?

No FEAR: The skull can stfu at times

STTNG: You drain one more time down the outlanes for no actual reason and I will kill you

TOTAN: take out the jewel obtaining ability from bazaar

#6 10 years ago

Every one of my games has a huge gap between the flippers that the ball falls through.

They all have out lanes too.

Jason

#7 10 years ago

LAH -- Ramp diverter mistimed sometimes and scopps in the center of the playfield you either hit too much or not enough.

DW: Too much emphasis on playfield multiplier for a great game.

Tommy: Terrible video mode

Goldeneye: Mode start too damn narrow to hit half the time.

Shadow: Some repetitive callouts and having a plastic under the battlefield that just gets beat to hell and broken.

TZ: Diverter bounces ball off...should have had magnet to begin with.

RS: Wish you could start with a different mode rather than one of the same two every time.

WW: Side draining off the slings happens way too often.

#8 10 years ago

CV: Shooting the skill shot often times is rewarded with a SDTM drain. Wife is jumpy to all the times the cannon fires when scoring jackpot's....can't play without the coil though (cannon) in the back box.

POTC: Only had a short time...call outs are pretty cheesy in general.

#9 10 years ago

POTC- no flow.
    CFTBL- too linear, same game every time to get to multiball.
    AFM- I can't do it best game ever.
    Fishtales- video mode is too easy once you master it.
    WH2O- the annoying sound the ball kicker makes over and over every time the ball is kicked up to the upper flipper.
    FH- needs a dmd
    BSD- drain monster, I never get too far ( I suck)
    Space Odyssey- those sling kickouts keep you from cradling a ball.

#10 10 years ago

BoP- Lack of objectives to justify hitting shots other than the ramps

CFTBL- needs more beefy modes beyond just qualifying multiball

TSPP- could use another flowing shot and Harry Shearer voice work

NGG- needs a harder to achieve Wizard mode (18th hole would be nice!)

STTNG- bigger payoff for Warp 9 mode

MB- needs combos and more open orbits/center ramps

RFM- too linear progression

AC/DC- poor visibility right inlane/outlane

#11 10 years ago

Tron: Frickin black rubber marks everywhere
    STTNG: Is it broke again!
    Hulk LE: Hulk stop catching the dang ball
    Spiderman: nuttin to speak of
    RS: Those heads are really weird
    Hurricane: The clowns crotch is like right there!
    Robocop: If the flippers were any stonger, glass would break
    IJ: Is there a top half of the playfield
    Lotr: Is Valinor even attainable on 3 ball
    Rescue 911: Its for sale
    WCS: Does the soccer ball do anything other than look cool
    RFM: Am I shooting at the screen or the machine targets

#12 10 years ago

All the women depicted in the art on my games have all their clothes on.

#13 10 years ago

Maverick: Mel Gibson, Paddle Wheel
    WWF: 'Ooohhh yeah'
    Jackbot: Not many shots

#14 10 years ago

I'm going to expand this to games that I have owned...

Skateball: Simple strategy that doesn't utilize all shots
    Black Belt: Terrible sound
    Panthera: Panther roar sounds like a wet fart
    SFII: Linear Gameplay
    Jokerz: Terrible PF layout
    LWJP: Insanely difficult and imbalanced scoring. Snagger is SLOW
    T2: Limited number of shots and shallow rules
    SST: Bug screams
    TFTC: Most annoying game I've ever owned
    WPT: Steep learning curve
    Secret Service: Plain old not fun
    Shadow: Upper PF is stupid
    Avatar: In strategic play, only a few shots are used
    LOTR: Ball times too long
    Goldeneye: Punishing when you don't hit your shots. Lots of mechs that can malfunction
    Nascar: Theme

#15 10 years ago

SW DE: Super Force Awards are SOO not worth it. Anything besides the mball doesnt have enough value.

Drac: Can be very "buggy", balls launching randomly, balls ending prematurely etc.

WCS: Only 1 mball. Translite kinda sucks?

SOF: Too easy? Gets a bit repetitive once you master it.

#16 10 years ago

4mbc - Plays a little dull compared to some others..

Flash - That loop shot from the upper flipper, I feel like you should be able to keep that going.. Ant the art (but I kinda like it).

Space Shuttle - A little too simple, perhaps. MB is easy to achieve, ball saver, outlane save, all those kind of make it play a little long.

PinBot - Right flipper heavy. Only 2-ball mb.

WCS - Not a fan of the art/colors. Sounds aren't the best, either.

Wh20 - Sound quality? Doesn't bother me much, but could be improved. Edit: The up kick sound is kind of annoying. That center shot is a little too prominent.

AC/DC - Art. Seeing how great Metallica turned out, the game is a little disappointing in this regard.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

White Water - "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide the Whirlpool!"

You dont like Whirlpool Challenge????

#18 10 years ago

Dr. Dude - only 2 ball multiball and generally over very quickly so scoring can be haphazard, nurse looks like a mental patient

JM - hurts my wrists I have to nudge it so much to keep it in play, blasting through the modes too quickly doesn't grant you enough Mb to start powerdown, looking at Keanu every evening and asking God why

#19 10 years ago

Mine are more about the condition as well as design:
    BOP (and others): ramps not designed to withstand the abuse they take given their location, standing targets too random to activate
    Bad Cats: Again, ramps - fishbowl ramp to extra ball can be too easy, don't like that jackpot can be activated by the seafood wheel, takes away skill from a high point score
    Doctor Who: Standing targets a too random, perhaps I just need to practice on skill, art is lacking - bg gives doctors weird expressions, would've liked more specific objectives to match each doctor

#20 10 years ago

They all need to be dusted every week.

#21 10 years ago

Tommy - - mirror target shots that don't always register and the auto plunger assembly.

Who dunnit - - unfinished rules, imo.

Roadshow - - um erm???

#22 10 years ago

On all my 48 pins it's the balls which almost always drains before I got to my target .
    Don't forget the designers have spent many hours on each and every game to make this thread possible. If a game wouldn't become dull within a certain time nobody would buy or play another game. I always blame the machine when thing go wrong. Up to now it seems correct as the machine never complains....
    But okay: Premier Gottlieb games. Like the game but those slim boy flippers are just so unreliable. And although the outlanes aren't wide open it seems the balls are swallowed in there.
    Data East. The black beast coils are so powerfull that it sends the ball out to destroy the games own components.
    And a lot more.
    The cure though is simple. You do not need to stop playing pinball but stick to all games before 1980. Ball drains are fast, no ball save, so before you really get pissed it is already over and you can turn to other activities.

#23 10 years ago

Metallica LE: It is sitting in Teekee's basement.

#24 10 years ago

Pinbot: I can't reach the Godd&mn Sun.
    HS: Hmmm....tough one. I had to buy a refurb board?
    WW: That damn million's ramp is a bitch to hit.
    Funhouse: Rudy's a twink.

#25 10 years ago

XM: Could those shots get any tighter. Shut up already wolvie.
    TF: Optimus voice actor is terrrrible.
    Tron: black skids marks EVERYWHERE
    Avatar: The metal spring hack to fix the drain doesn't always work.
    Goldeneye: Playfield wear in 007's crotch
    PZ: DJ shot VERY tough with a cliffy installed. Flame polish ramps VERY difficult.
    BlkRose: leveling the canon is a PROCESS
    RFM: Takes forever......to boot up.
    Time Machine: No ball save.

#26 10 years ago

Almost for DM: Annoying callouts and no video clips from the movie.

Great thread! No pin is perfect, and considering the + & -'s is essential (IMHO) to deciding whether or not a particular pin suits you.

#27 10 years ago

woz: Mine is invisible

#28 10 years ago

T2 - People like you too much because of your cool theme.

Getaway - Uhhhh, I don't like ZZ Top? Should have Splash Wave from OutRun.

#29 10 years ago

ACDC: cannon obstructs my vision of the lanes
    Xmen: could they make wolverine any bigger?
    IM: just got this so hard to nitpick - up post on left orbit shots brick it back down the orbit.
    WCS: the translight needs to go

#30 10 years ago

JM - center rollover lane drops the ball right past the pops

NBAFB - saucer passes sometimes fall out of "In The Paint" for no reason

Big Guns - Too much force on the plunge = giant wear spot at the ball drop

Monopoly - plain red backboard is boooooring

X-Men - f@#$ing Iceman ramp entry is sooooo narrow

RCT - "Dunk the Dummy" and "Super Dunk" are the same damn mode. Really, guys?

Later,
    EV

#31 10 years ago

SM- The left side of my cabinet is burnt to a crisp and there's no decals. Oh, and I can't make the Venom ramp most of the time.

Frankenstein- My first shop job and while the 2-LED bulbs in the GI look great most of the time, the GI flashes A LOT and we now call it Frankenseizure.

No Good Gofers- The bulbs oxidized from sitting so long not being used, so my LED shop job was basically a failure and I have mostly incandescent lights despite hours of pushing, poking, changing bulbs, brusing my ribs on the side of the cabinet, putting the playfield down, turning it on, bulb doesn't work, trying again. Ugh.

Jurassic Park- Tempermental, the control room switch likes to mess up, and now it shorts out when booting up so that I have to open the coin door then reset everything different from standard factory, like free play.

Twin Win- So pretty, yet so slow and boring after playing the others.

RFM- The computer crapped out on us during a family tournament, but husband was able to fix it by adding RAM, so that was nice. It's being pretty good, except the left martian doesn't jump as much as he should. Sadly it is getting a bit boring, but it will always stick around in hopes we find a SWE1 kit someday.

TAF- A pain to decal the bookcase/Thing box. Fliptronic board is being stupid and messing up the top flipper occasionally.

Flintstones- Ball gets stuck in the dino ramp, which requires removing the glass.

Pinball Magic- Subway recently messed up and required a custom welding job by my dad. Callouts get a little repetitive and old.

#32 10 years ago

IM - Feels cheap.
    SP - Shallow rules.
    JD - Music gets a bit old.
    TFLE - Modes aren't that fun.
    Sopranos - Playfield art sucks.
    GnR - Data East pins do not seem reliable.
    TZ - Too much stop and go.
    BSD - Shallow rules.
    WOZ - Will it ever arrive??

#33 10 years ago

Wh20 - sound is a little cruddy

TZ - Sound is a little cruddy

PM - Linear

NF - Theme, Video mode not integrated well

DH - Shoot-out impossible

#34 10 years ago

NGG: can drain on skill shot. Pops are pointless.
    Shrek: coolest mini play field ever, but needed one more true shot to be great. Right spinner heavy.
    RS: I avoid the NY taxi smash mode like the plague

#35 10 years ago

I get the spirit, but as I tried to answer this everything sounded kind of lame. I REALLY like most of my games right now. Lots of "keepers". What am I going to say bad about Tron? That it is dirty and I'm too lazy to clean it right now? That the Gem shot is too hard? No matter what I say everyone would know that I just love to play the game. But:

Tron: The Gem shot.
    LOTR: TABA... I still can't get there. Wait a moment, that isn't a bad thing about the game, that is a bad thing about my skills.

X's & O's is stupid. There, that one is true... but I still play it. I give up.

#36 10 years ago
    • T3 - "Shoot heah...and heah" (I know these can be turned off at the start of the game).
    • T3 - BNOBs on the right and center ramps
    • TSPP - Ruthless drain machine.
    • TSPP - Hate having to shoot through bumpers for the left loop.
    • TSPP - No repro side art available (thanks for that Fox)
    • TSPP - Treehouse shot
    #37 10 years ago

A chance to Rant!

1) Simpsons Nothing
    2) TZ Nothing
    3) Road show, Random starting of cities is/was needed
    4) Ripleys A lot off time and space for the left ramp tic tac toe reward.
    5) Tommy....The Music...Please someone find a way to change this to original Who
    6) Dracula plain old Hard
    7) Golden Eye Not enough extras features as related to a weak multi-ball
    8) CSI, not enough use of solving a crime, andd no reward
    9) Family Guy Want more to do
    10) Spiderman, Fast, but for me, too easy to master.
    11) T3 Arnolds call outs..."Shout Heeeere and heeere"
    12) Monopoly....Too easy for me
    13) WPT Yes, the translite.
    14) TRON fast as hel, but was too linear for me.

#38 10 years ago

Blackout - No multiball and spinner sound annoys my girlfriend

Black Knight - (and all system 6-7's) That D$%#! interconnect!

F-14 Tomcat - Upper sling between tomcat stand-ups never implemented

Earthshaker - Sinking building pulled from production (I added it back in tho)

Addams family - Thing grabbing your balls really messes the flow

Doctor Who - Only 7 doctors

Pinbot - F#!ing outlanes

WOZ - Impossible to play as is (unassembled in New Jersey)

#39 10 years ago

Apollo 13 - the 8 balls that drop in the second phase of 13 ball multiball need to be diverted so they don't all gather immediately at the flippers

STTNG - The wormhole mode is boring

Demolition Man - Needs a way better painting of Sandra on the backglass.

Gn'R - It is still sitting in San Jose after almost a week instead of sitting in my gameroom.

#40 10 years ago

CFBL: Music is midi quality
    ToM: Ball often bounces very high to either the plunger lane or right outlane if the black rubber to the left of the right ramp is hit straight on
    Rollergames: I don't hear K-k-k-k-kick butt! often enough
    Farfalla: The mini playfield is too easy- Extra balls can be continuously earned... and the backglass chick is covered on mine (anyone want to trade backglass inserts?)
    Buck Rogers: The chick only shows up in the backglass
    Whitewater: It's taking me over 2 years to playfield swap/shop it...
    Paragon: Collecting dust waiting for me to finish WH20

#41 10 years ago

Spiderman: No way of seeing how many balls you have locked.
    Checkpoint: Hard to get the ball to the rollover lanes at the top.
    X-Men: Wolverine is a fatty.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Elfman:

T3 - "Shoot heah...and heah" (I know these can be turned off at the start of the game). T3 - BNOBs on the right and center ramps TSPP - Ruthless drain machine. TSPP - Hate having to shoot through bumpers for the left loop. TSPP - No repro side art available (thanks for that Fox) TSPP - Treehouse shot

Gotta ask... What are BNOBs?

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Blackout - No multiball and spinner sound annoys my girlfriend

Well, I'm married and the Wife doesn't play, so that's a non issue with the spinner sound. But otherwise, I agree! Wish it had multiball like Firepower.

#44 10 years ago

LOTR: Print quality for playfield graphics is poor.
    Tron: Brutal outlanes. Zeus' voice.
    TFLE: Getting far in this game is beyond my skill level. Sometimes the game thinks the ball is in the Ironhide playfield when it's not.

#45 10 years ago

Slugfest - fun, but it's not pinball
    Alien Poker - art isn't so great
    Stern Dracula - sounds aren't great
    Big Game - mine is unplayable currently
    Trident - unplayable and in peices
    Special Force - I don't have much bad to say... could have used some toys?
    Stars - mine doesn't smell great
    Jurassic Park - loving it so far, but have to open it and work on something constantly

#46 10 years ago

Comet: Has a racist backglass.
    Freddy: has Gottlieb Flippers.
    Taxi: Is mean.
    Star Wars DE: Is an alcoholic.
    Demolition Man: Has Stallone on the backglass.

#47 10 years ago

Taxi and Whirlwind need a ball save.

#48 10 years ago

I don't have any real complaints about any of my games. I like how they all play, and the ones that have random elements built into them (if by mistake or on purpose) have helped make me a better player. If I wanted a game that had no random elements, I would collect video games.

#49 10 years ago

A13: The stupid saucer above the pop bumpers. You end up with a 30 second loop of the ball goes in the saucer, ejects, hits the pops, back into the saucer, ejects, hits the pops, back in the saucer... Also, the Blastoff carryover makes it a crappy tournament game as if you steal the 13 ball multiball, it is basically match over.
    TAF: Not much to add to what has been said. Some of the modes are kind of a cop out.
    AFM: Can't think of anything at the moment.
    Getaway: Code needs to be updated to fix the multiplayer multiball bug. Other than that, kind of shallow.
    Funhouse: Can't think of anything at the moment.
    IM: The center post should not come up for the skill shot. It should be disabled for the plunge. Instant info is worthless.
    JP: Please, don't hand me multiball automatically on Ball 3! Some of the modes aren't worth the effort.
    RFM: Dated humor that tries too hard to be funny.
    Spiderman: Too long of ball times. Should not have a center post between the flippers.
    STTNG: The right outlane is brutal. I go back and forth between hating it and thinking it is a good part of the game that forces shot control.
    DE SW: With the new code, I can't think of anything at the moment.
    SWE1: Do I really need to say anything about this one?
    TOM: Haven't owned it long enough to make an assessment.
    Tri Zone: No complaints, Tri Zone is awesome. I'm not kidding.
    TSPP: Usually seems like work, I don't play it much.
    TZ: I hate the bounce outs from the diverter. And yes, I have a magnet for it.
    Whirlwind: The one game that gets me the angriest, but I love it.
    WOZ: Reserved for later comments after code is further along.

#50 10 years ago

SM and STTNG are both to hard to get up and down my basement stairs!

There are 283 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/say-something-negative-about-each-of-your-gamesdo-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.