Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 219 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Sorokyl
  • Topic is favorited by 224 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20230720_212400070 (resized).jpg
    6C919D24-0668-4CE9-B659-1677F4678606 (resized).jpeg
    A4A7579A-1017-45F3-AA1C-48EA983E6228 (resized).jpeg
    20210104_210751 (resized).jpg
    20210107_080537 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1610187595504 (resized).jpg
    20210104_203557 (resized).jpg
    DSCF0173 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0168 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0174 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0163 (resized).JPG
    DSCF0127 (resized).jpeg
    DSCF0115 (resized).jpeg
    DSCF0107 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1749 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4035 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 8 years ago

FYI The active ingredient in Clorox 2 is Hydrogen peroxide. I am testing some parts from an old radio that has yellowed in a solution of this to see if it works.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aladdin:

Good thing I've saved all of those white (now yellowed) post nuts! I can't wait to put my nuts in this solution!

Is this one of those post you allowed to reply with "That's what she said"?

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They sell 40% peroxide at the beauty supply house that is paste.
    I wonder if you mixed the oxy with it and just put the paste on the face of the plastic - keeping it away from the backside?

Hmm. Wonder if you could apply this to a playfield (sparingly) to whiten up yellowed areas? Maybe someone that has a unusable old playfield could test this.

#98 8 years ago

Okay, so here's my test items with Clorox 2 (1/4 cup liquid to 1 gallon of water).

Old Radio Shack Shower / Beach radio with years of yellowing on the front and top:

Ugly radio.jpgUgly radio.jpg
    Ugly Radio 2.jpgUgly Radio 2.jpg
    Here with one days worth of soaking in Clorox 2 solution and sunlight. There wasn't enough room in the container for the front and back, so I put the front part way in to make a comparison cleaning (also, I can't get the waterproof speaker out without damaging the case. I'm going to try the peroxide cream and Saran wrap method on this when I get the cream).
    One day .jpgOne day .jpg
    Comparison.jpgComparison.jpg
    Even the foam rubber on the inside of the battery cover came out cleaner and brighter looking (although the interior of the panel wasn't yellowed, the foam had turned a dull brownish cover. Maybe this had something to do with the C cells).

It still needs some treating, but there is a definite difference.
    Close up.jpgClose up.jpg

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The Frisket used to mask while painting is solvent resistant (it does not lift, wrinkle or allow paint to creep under it).
    Maybe that could protect the screen printed side of the plastics while soaking?

Or possibly "Frog Tape". It claims to make a seal along the edge of the tape when you paint. ( I haven't tried it, but that's their claim.)

#104 8 years ago

Okay, so here's my final results on the radio:
    Before after.jpgBefore after.jpg

Not perfect, but 95% better. The case front was done in the 40% salon Cream, wrapped in plastic, in the sun for one day.. The knobs were done in the Clorox 2 solution for a day and a half in the sun..
    There's still a little discoloration on the case, but it's a huge improvement.

So has anyone tried some posts, or other white playfield parts yet?

#130 8 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

I too figured out that Frisket adhesive is water soluble... I had tried, a year or more ago, to use it as a stencil material to cut out graphics and float the resulting frisket stencil over a play field to spray that area... and the glue dissolves in water. However, the GerberMask stencil material from 3M appears to hold up to water- I can float that and the adhesive holds up. I do not however know what would happen if it remained in water for an extended time... But one could easily test this.
    One could try this- but I don't know if it would work, maybe someone has some and could test it. Its says it cleans up with water and thats not sounding very good but perhaps with the paste peroxide solution it would hold up.
    this is an air brush sprayable liquid masking material- its used in painting RC car bodies (and probably a bunch of other stuff).
    Its Bob Dively liquid masking film.
    amazon.com link »
    throw down a few coats and give it a try- someone here must have some to try.

I was going to suggest this as well.

Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe, painter's tape.

Still say give this a try:
    http://frogtape.com/how-frogtape-works

It creates a seal along the edged when it gets wet (usually from latex paints.)

1 week later
    #139 8 years ago
    Quoted from L_satan:

Sorry to report that I havent had much luck. Three jet-bumber caps with some burn on them, and very little change over a week with Hydrogen Peroxide in a plastic ziploc in the sun.
    What additives did anyone mention? Or is the burn too much to remove?

Peroxide works okay for slight yellowing, but I had better results with salon cream or the Clorox 2 solution (see my previous posts).
    But as far as the burns, nothing is going to remove that. There's been a chemical change in the plastic.

1 week later
    #143 8 years ago

So has anyone tried this on some plastic play field hardware (or even cabinet parts) yet?

#147 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Read through the thread, and I'm curious - I'm thinking this method WILL work on non-transparent plastics as well? (Not decaled/painted ones, but actually yellowed white plastic? Like drop targets?)

Check my post (#104) and check out the radio. It works well on white plastics. I think what needs to be seen is if the results are the same on colored plastic.

#149 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

My pieces are MUCH smaller, and not as yellowed - they had decals on them, so the decaled area is nice and white, while the exposed .
    --Mike

The pinball equivalent of a bad sun tan.

Seriously thou, are any of the parts colors other than white? And post some before and after pictures for us.

1 month later
    #165 8 years ago
    Quoted from BriPin:

I left my BOP face ball guides out for a sunny week while on vacation in 3% hydrogen peroxide. I'd say 80% of the yellowing is gone but the process may have imparted some milkiness to the clear plastic. I'm happy with the results. Thanks OP!
    Before:
    IMG_4380 copy.jpg
    After:
    IMG_4428.jpg

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Nice comparison shots, BriPin. Those look a ton better.

I know I'm supposed to look at how much less yellow the plastics look, but ... just ... can't ... avert eyes from mismatched screws in second picture!

Kidding aside, that is a huge improvement!

#170 8 years ago
    Quoted from Riptor:

Has anyone tried this in an eprom eraser to speed up the process?

Admittedly, I thought this was a joke until I remembered that there are high intensity U/V lamps inside. The only problem would be if the tray weren't large enough to take a small pan of parts and which ever source of H2O2 being used.

#171 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

I have some very yellow Centaur plastics. Any solutions for plastics with art yet?

A couple of people have mentioned a layer of liquid latex on the artwork to seal it from the liquid, and I mentioned trying "Frog Tape" to seal it, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet. I think I still have a set of plastics from a Bow and Arrow in my attic. If I have a chance, I'll get them down and see if they're a good candidate to try this on.

1 month later
    #177 8 years ago
    Quoted from Flippermatt:

I don't understand why there is a must to get the peroxide on the back of the screened platics and risk the artwork flaking off.
    1 The 40% beauty cream is thick enough and doesn't run. Just brush the overside with the stuff where needed. Lay it flat in a plastic container. Why soak on the backside ? The edges are imho the most annoying. Perhaps not more yellow than the overside but stands out more.
    2 Is there absolute confirmation that the peroxide will not bleach colours ? If there is, then mask and shield off the overside where there is artwork with plastic modelers Japanese Kabuki tape. You can mask the underside with the tape and then brush the edges of the plastic. This will hinder any of the cream to run in underneath and begin chewing the artwork.
    Peroxide is a risk for eating the artwork on the back, but my main question is if it will bleach colours if the overside is covered....
    Matt

Answer 1. Even the 40% solution contains water, and it can migrate across the surface.
    Answer 2. Not confirmed if it will bleach colours, but Hydrogen Peroxide IS the main active ingredient in colour safe bleaches (i.E. Clorox 2).

#180 8 years ago
    Quoted from Flippermatt:

The one I got is paste like... I don´t see how it is possible for it to start running as it goes the other way around, starts stiffening and drying up.. Japanese Tamiya tape is your friend here nevertheless...
    Matt

When you put it in a container, and put it in sunlight or under a U.V. lamp, even the small amount of heat can cause some of the peroxide to evaporate out of the creme, and it can also condensate on any surface of the container or what's in it. Try it at your own risk. But I als o am interested in that Tamiya tape. Please post pictures.

#182 8 years ago

... I double posted.

2 months later
    #185 8 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

This is a pretty old trick gamers have been using to get the yellow out of their old Super Nintendos. It's nice to see that it works on clear plastics!
    » YouTube video
    There are different ratios that can be used to perform different effects. At the end of the day though, it changes the structure of the plastic to be more brittle, so be careful.

Good Will in Santa Ana CA. had a Playstation that had turned almost brown (a Friend and I joked about it being John Boehner's old Playstation) that now I wish I'd bought now so I could try that on.

5 months later
    #187 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

So was the consensus on this that it is dangerous on screened plastics?

I tried it on a screened piece from a Silverball Mania, with Frog Tape, and the the Salon Creme foamed up in the sunlight, and took the tape off along with some of the graphics.

I also recently tried cleaning an old Playstation case, and the Salon Creme and it left bleached out marks all over the case top! I had better results with the lower part of the case using Clorox 2 and water.
    0606161917-00_(resized).jpg0606161917-00_(resized).jpg

My take is, unless you're cleaning a piece of white or off-whie plastic with no screening on it, 40% Salon Creme can be destructive.

3 weeks later
    #189 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

It's been a while since I tuned into this thread, but I'm considering using this method to brighten some white posts that I have. However, I recall there being some issues of the plastic becoming brittle once the peroxide is used. I wouldn't want my posts to shatter, as they're not made anymore and I'd pretty much be up poop-creak if they became brittle and broke with gameplay. Anyhow, thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

I gotta say when I came to whites, I had pretty good luck (look at the radio I did as an example)with cleaning, but I haven't run into anything that turned brittle. It may come down to what type of plastic is being de-yellowed. I recently tried a 40+ year old piece of Polystyrene that came out just fine. All I can suggest is try a sample (I'd go with just regular First-Aid type peroxide or Clorox 2) and see how it turns out. The Salon Creme may be to harsh on really old plastics.

#191 7 years ago

Speaking of which:

SNES_(resized).jpgSNES_(resized).jpg

This one has an appointment with Purel and H2O2.

#193 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

You have a lot of those things!

Yeah, but I've been looking for an NES or SNES like this to try de-yellowing on. Here's how the top turned out after 11 Hours in the sun with Clorox 2:

SNES_2_(resized).jpgSNES_2_(resized).jpg

I'll probably have to do it once more because the interior is still yellowed but for now I want to do the bottom half. Also, no brittleness to the plastic.

#195 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Lookin' good, Gir! Thanks, too, for the durability update.

And if you try this, a couple of things:
    1. Mix 4ozs. Clorox 2 to 1 gallon of water (or about a 32 to 1 ratio).
    2. Only mix it up when you're ready to use it (read the label warnings about mixing / storing mixed solution.)
    2. Never seal up the container you're doing the de-yellowing in tightly! (same goes for using peroxide of any type). Oxygen is being released and pressure can build up in the container. If you cover the container with plastic wrap or something like it, leave it loose on an edge, or at least punch a couple of pin-holes in the top.

Hopefully by next weekend I'll have some pictures of the finished case to post. Next, I want to find some sample plastics to try this on.

3 years later
    3 weeks later
    #207 3 years ago
    Quoted from mr2xbass:

Will peroxide remove discoloration caused by incandescent heat/burn? -Especially in pop bumper caps.

No. In that case, the plastic is burned, not yellowed by bromine in the plastic. Once it's burned, it's permanent.

#208 3 years ago

Just another recent project:
    DSCF0107 (resized).jpegDSCF0107 (resized).jpeg
    DSCF0115 (resized).jpegDSCF0115 (resized).jpeg
    DSCF0127 (resized).jpegDSCF0127 (resized).jpeg
    This time I just used regular First Aid peroxide.
    (The restoration also included a new bezel and repairing lines on the screen).

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from Manny65:

I'm always amazed at how well these old games come up.
    I had a couple of goes recently on some yellowed pinball parts but didn't had great success.What is the % strength is the First Aid peroxide and were you using this straight or in a mix with oxy? Do you use a UV light or just the sun, I had it outside for a couple of days but not sure where I need to improve my technique. Any help appreciated

3% and sunlight. I'm surprised this one turned out as well as it did. It was on and off again overcast that day.

1 month later
    #212 3 years ago
    Quoted from Manny65:

Thanks I'll have to give it another go

Try this: One quart of 3% peroxide, 16 oz. of water and 2 Oz. of Liquid Chlorox 2. Got these results over the last two days with a SEGA Dreamcast:

Before ...
    DSCF0163 (resized).JPGDSCF0163 (resized).JPGDSCF0168 (resized).JPGDSCF0168 (resized).JPG

After ...
    DSCF0174 (resized).JPGDSCF0174 (resized).JPGDSCF0173 (resized).JPGDSCF0173 (resized).JPG

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from Manny65:

That's awesome - was it out in the sun for 2 days or did you use a UV lamp?

One day for each half (had trouble finding a container to fit this in). the second picture is after I had done the to /lid assembly. I didn't realize just how bad the bottom was until I laid the top piece on top of it. The cover for the modem wasn't as bad and was clean in about 4 hours.

I've tried UV lamps before, but they don't work as well as direct Sunlight.

Note. Once again remember: When you use peroxide and/or the Clorox 32 solution, make sure the container is NOT sealed tight or at least put a pin-hole in the top to vent off the oxygen that is released, or else the lid will pop open. I forgot to do this and the lid came loose and I ended up spilling a lot of the solution when I picked up the container off a cinder block wall.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/say-goodbye-to-old-yellowed-plastics?tu=girloveswaffles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.