• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by kechlesurf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Good Morning Pinside Community and Friends,
Was saving up some money to get a Monster Bash but a Fish Tales popped up near me and even though my wife hates that game, I think it is a great and challenging game. But everyone I have seen is priced around $3500 - $4500 (one on pinside for $2,600 but its a long drive for me) so I am a little concerned that the person who is selling it is not telling the whole story.

He sent me a few pics and it looks great, play field is clean and box colors are good. The only issue he mentioned is one target is broke, but everything else works well including the fish on top. I have only played this game at several arcades (where I had to pay) so have not spent "a lot" of time testing it and learning the game, but anyone out there have any recommendations for me to inspect when I look at the machine?

Are there any common issues with this game or any expensive fixes that could be hidden? Any info/advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

Tuff to see everything. Run diagnostic test on switches and coils or even take the glass off after you've played a couple of games and touch everything to make sure it works and registers, look at the boards for signs of damage from batteries

#3 6 years ago

Look for burned connectors. The GI lighting and power connectors are usually burned pretty bad.

#4 6 years ago

How can anyone hate Fish Tales?!

There’s really nothing specific to this machine than is difficult to fix. Just watch for the normal pinball stuff - burnt boards, jumpers on the boards, battery acid in the boards.... Make sure the lights and switches all work.

Nice examples can be found around $3k.

Read through the Fish Tales Club thread on Pinside to get a feel for the technical issues on this game. Not many specific or difficult ones, though.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I can tell you this. I have had the chance to buy 3 of them for 1500 or less over the years and passed every single time. If that isn't hate, it's gotta be damn close. Only title I really can't stand more than this is TOM.

#6 6 years ago

OP: Fish Tales is a super fun game, but do not pay $3.5 to 4.5. That's a ripoff.... $3K for a nice one is about on target.

#7 6 years ago

I payed 2,800 for a nice one. Still probably a little on the high side, but the market is getting more realistic everyday.

#8 6 years ago

The biggest problem with that game is playfield wear around the inserts in the middle of the playfield. They are notoriously in rough shape.

The only thing I had an issue with on my FT was finding certain plastics. Some of them are unobtainable.

#9 6 years ago

Or....you could keep saving and buy a brand new Monster Bash remake later this year

#10 6 years ago

Hope you snagged it the price was under 2k that's a good deal.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

Hope you snagged it the price was under 2k that's a good deal.

Well, yeah, that's a good deal, but $2k Fish Tales days are behind us. I looked for a few months recently in my area and jumped on the first one I found under $3k in decent shape. Even some of the $3k+ ones were turds.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I think it's a fine seafaring tune...but lots of people hate the music.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Well, yeah, that's a good deal, but $2k Fish Tales days are behind us. I looked for a few months recently in my area and jumped on the first one I found under $3k in decent shape. Even some of the $3k+ ones were turds.

I saw and responded to the ad the price was under 2k

#14 6 years ago

You said here on pinside. Be sure it's not one of the recent scammers.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

Or....you could keep saving and buy a brand new Monster Bash remake later this year

Haha, that is exactly what my wife said but still expect those machines to go for $10k or so (pure guess based on nothing). I did see Chicago Gaming have confirmed they have the license for the remake but when will it come out and what do you think the price would be?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

I saw and responded to the ad the price was under 2k

I responded to the post a few hours after the post went live in your area. Never heard back from the guy and the ad was removed soon after so i assume someone grabbed it up real quick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

12,500 (OBO)
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/saw-a-fish-tales-for-sale?hl=hailrazer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.