Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Erik
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

This is the last week of $375 per week in my kids daycare! This has crushed any hope on getting a nice pin by Xmas. I know we all have different finance situations but without disclosing your wages, how long does it take you to save up for a $4000-$5000 pin? Maybe even a $2500 pin.

I am hoping to save about $350+ a month for my next pin. (without taking a hit on my current collection)

As promised I need to get my daughter a RBION and I am going for a TAF by Summer of next year.

#2 10 years ago

awesome good luck. I to have stopped buying in order to save for the next. I have 2 dennis nordman titles for now and want to sell the special force and get a scared stiff.

#3 10 years ago

I would only sell my SF2 or use it in a trade if anyone was willing to take it. Not much love for the SF2. I just need to stay away from arcade game purchases during this time but as always, I find deals. I really dont know what will happen if Stern or JJP releases a Harry Potter, Ghostbusters, or a Muppets pin. Those are a must have if they ever happen.

#4 10 years ago

save up for my next pin? I'm still saving up to pay for my last pin!!..

#5 10 years ago

I think quite a few people use their tax return or bonuses from work. After awhile, you'll get to a point where you can do some trading or sell one to fund another. All depends on how big of a collection you get to first though!

#6 10 years ago

Lessee
    50..take the 2..plus 12..

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I think quite a few people use their tax return or bonuses from work. After awhile, you'll get to a point where you can do some trading or sell one to fund another. All depends on how big of a collection you get to first though!

Building pin equity definitely helps. I have room for 8. Getting to 8 was difficult, but now that I have my full house number, it's easier to buy a new pin because I have equity returned on the pin I have to sell to free the space. Granted, of course, I'd prefer having more space and keeping them all , but this space problem does help the wallet when a new game comes on the radar.

#8 10 years ago

When will my life insurance pay? I'd say a few weeks after I'm cremated I should have enough for the next big purchase...

#9 10 years ago

No bonuses and tax returns are rarely ever used for fun money. Me and the fam haven't taken a vacation in 16+ years, I have a beater car (wife has the nice Van), we rent a nice house in our price range. I wouldn't say we are poor but now that the kids are in school, I have a semi well paying job along with my wife, and I think it will finally get better. I am a hermit and have never seen an ocean or mountain let alone have been on a plane. Just want a nice home for my family and some pins/arcades for myself. Saving almost $800 a month now with the kids out of daycare is going to help. So tired of living week to week with no F-you money.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Saving almost $800 a month now with the kids out of daycare is going to help. So tired of living week to week with no F-you money.

Start listening to Dave Ramsey http://www.daveramsey.com/show/stations/

Sounds to me like you need to save for more important things than pinball machines. College? Emergency fund? A house? A car? Not to be a downer, but it takes time for most people to be able to afford these high-end toys. That's exactly what they are, unless you're an operator. Good luck to you!

#11 10 years ago

It took me 3 months to save $5000 for a nice Guns n' Roses. That was pretty hard saving though. I don't make a lot of money, but I do live pretty cheaply. I think I can budget about $15000/year for pins for now. I am hoping for a bonus at work at the end of the year. That would help a lot.

In a few years, we plan on buying a bigger house, so pinball money will be a lot less. I am taking advantage of the low monthly expenses until then though.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from papazit1963:

Start listening to Dave Ramsey http://www.daveramsey.com/show/stations/
    Sounds to me like you need to save for more important things than pinball machines. College? Emergency fund? A house? A car? Not to be a downer, but it takes time for most people to be able to afford these high-end toys. That's exactly what they are, unless you're an operator. Good luck to you!

On the plus side we have no credit card debt, no large bank debts, just a loan for the van. My wife is going to college for computer science (paid by her work), and I am getting A+ training from my work. I am happy with the rental house we have (not a ran down renter house) with a finished basement for my gameroom and home theater. I usually get my wifes car when we upgrade for her so its coming up soon.

I will probably never save up for an emergency because that is not how I want to live. Emergencies do happen from time to time but we manage. I am replacing this pin collecting hobby with a hobby/career I had for 10 years (standup comedy). Due to low pay for feature comics, being away from home, and having 3 children it wasn't worth chasing a dream job at the expense of my families happiness.

It's maybe a sad/pathatic statement but I think the happiest I will be in my life (after my childrens birth) will be when I am moving in an Addams Family pin or a Dragons Lair into my gameroom.

#13 10 years ago

I'll be in exactly the opposite board in a couple of months...my daycare bill will just be starting =)

My problem is I set my sights on a machine..usually a higher dollar machine...say 5~7K plus.

Then something will come along and and I'll buy a 2k machine.

What I found is if you buy a lower dollar machine...and buy it right and not over pay. You can play that machine for months while your still saving...then just sell it. Even if you take a little hit...like $100 or so at least you had something to play during the wait

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

On the plus side we have no credit card debt, no large bank debts, just a loan for the van. My wife is going to college for computer science (paid by her work), and I am getting A+ training from my work. I am happy with the rental house we have (not a ran down renter house) with a finished basement for my gameroom and home theater. I usually get my wifes car when we upgrade for her so its coming up soon.
    I will probably never save up for an emergency because that is not how I want to live. Emergencies do happen from time to time but we manage. I am replacing this pin collecting hobby with a hobby/career I had for 10 years (standup comedy). Due to low pay for feature comics, being away from home, and having 3 children it wasn't worth chasing a dream job at the expense of my families happiness.
    It's maybe a sad/pathatic statement but I think the happiest I will be in my life (after my childrens birth) will be when I am moving in an Addams Family pin or a Dragons Lair into my gameroom.

As long as you're happy and taking care of yourself and your family. That's all that really matters. And if you can fit in a pinball machine here and there...more power to you. Good luck with your A+ and comedy careers too!

#15 10 years ago

At this point i usually buy/sell/trade and dont tap into money elsewhere. Being able to work on pins helps that fact as well i suppose.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from papazit1963:

As long as you're happy and taking care of yourself and your family. That's all that really matters. And if you can fit in a pinball machine here and there...more power to you. Good luck with your A+ and comedy careers too!

I haven't been on a stage in 2+ years. This hobby completely replaced that. Thanks for the well wishes.

#17 10 years ago

I am really thinking of using the bill me later option from ebay to buy a NIB game then pay it off for the next few years. That all depends on the monthly payment. I asked if my limit would go up, they said that its determined upon purchase. I really cant hit the buy it now option and wait to see if i get accepted or declined. If they gave me a straight answer I would use it.

#18 10 years ago

Saved for 3 years for a tz, and within one summer, price doubled.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from dementedwarlok:

I am really thinking of using the bill me later option from ebay to buy a NIB game then pay it off for the next few years. That all depends on the monthly payment. I asked if my limit would go up, they said that its determined upon purchase. I really cant hit the buy it now option and wait to see if i get accepted or declined. If they gave me a straight answer I would use it.

How much they give you will depend on your total available unsecured credit, percent utilization, credit history (lates, etc.) and income.

#20 10 years ago

I saved up for my first pin by selling a bunch of stuff I didn't want anymore and doing a few extra jobs on the side. From that point on I haven't added any more money to the 'pinball fund', instead adding equity by tired pins that I can do up and sell for more than I paid.

Starting with just a Jurassic Park a year ago, I sold that for a Judge Dredd and have since sold that for a Doctor Who and a Dr Dude and money to spare to restore them well. So I've gone from one pin to two, and hopefully within a year I'll be at three pins (or one awesome one, if I ever come by one) without ever having spent more than that first JP purchase.

#21 10 years ago

Saving $350/month is huge. I mean, that's nearly a NIB stern pro every year (or 1/3 of every pin they release). What kills us all is pricing constantly going up (it's a constantly moving target).

#22 10 years ago

I haven't really ever stopped and saved for specifically one thing. I just try to save in general and I've always got a decent sum of money to live off if an emergency came up which I've dipped into for my pins. My most expensive was under 4k though so I guess I've never had to dump for a 10k pin or anything. For my 5th pin I've just raised some funds not because I need that cash to afford it but it helps me justify to myself spending the money. I sold off one of my guitar amps and a bunch of warhammer stuff I had laying around so now I'm on the look out for the right pin for me.

#23 10 years ago

Ah man, Dragon's Lair. I used to play the hell out of the C64 version of that game. Love the theme music

#24 10 years ago

Paypal Slush fund is a good way to save some dough,

#25 10 years ago

Im trying to pay off our student loans. And then start saving for my first DMD

#26 10 years ago

It's going to be tough. I haven't done the math yet. Not sure when I'll be able to instapay on a nib. Maybe sometime next year or in 2015 if I start saving now. I keep looking for a part-time job. But it's hard finding one with hours that would fit around my full-time job. I'm already putting away a couple hundred every month into savings. But that is not my fun money, it's my don't-touch-until needed money.

#27 10 years ago

I can't save any "regular" money through the year, due to a heavy mortgage and kids (by the way, don't expect they will cost you less when they get older... quite the opposite !). My wife is working as well.

Fortunately I also have a (lousy) part-time side job and an end-of-year bonus. This is my bonus money I can dedicate to this hobby! I expect to be able to pay the balance due for Predator that way.

#28 10 years ago

started saving at the start of the year did mega, mega overtime . literally had a lord of the rings flyer on the wall and had a money box under it and sometimes I would get side tracked because it seemed like I will never come up with enough scratch, and I would contemplate getting a cheaper game just so I can have a new game, lucky my girlfriend was on my case saying "you want the lord of the rings, keep saving for the lord of the rings, don't get something you don't want, because its cheaper, be patient." It was hard but thank god I did it, because I picked up a mint huo lotr about 3 weeks ago and im totally stoked. Think it will be a couple of years before I can do that again, but I did prove to myself that if I put my mind to it ,I can get what I want, an im very greatful for that!!!!

#29 10 years ago

Good one Whisper. Nice post !

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from chalkup8:

Good one Whisper. Nice post !

cheers chalkup, I drove to Sydney to grab it .Meet another pinsider/aussie arcade member, real cool guy. It was a mission but well worth it..Go Kangas!!!! ..Nah, I go for geelong!!!!!

#31 10 years ago

Just put in an application for a second savings account, dubbed "my NIB savings account". Whether I actually get a NIB or have to use it for something else, at least I'm saving.

#32 10 years ago

That's some impressive wishlist you have there going
    Good luck in saving for one

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from whisper:

started saving at the start of the year did mega, mega overtime . literally had a Lord of the Rings flyer on the wall and had a money box under it and sometimes I would get side tracked because it seemed like I will never come up with enough scratch, and I would contemplate getting a cheaper game just so I can have a new game, lucky my girlfriend was on my case saying "you want the Lord of the Rings, keep saving for the Lord of the Rings, don't get something you don't want, because its cheaper, be patient." It was hard but thank god I did it, because I picked up a mint huo lotr about 3 weeks ago and im totally stoked. Think it will be a couple of years before I can do that again, but I did prove to myself that if I put my mind to it ,I can get what I want, an im very greatful for that!!!!

I really like the flyer idea. I REALLY want an Iron Man right now, but I need to save the dough. Tax return season isn't far off.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from whisper:

started saving at the start of the year did mega, mega overtime . literally had a Lord of the Rings flyer on the wall and had a money box under it and sometimes I would get side tracked because it seemed like I will never come up with enough scratch, and I would contemplate getting a cheaper game just so I can have a new game, lucky my girlfriend was on my case saying "you want the Lord of the Rings, keep saving for the Lord of the Rings, don't get something you don't want, because its cheaper, be patient." It was hard but thank god I did it, because I picked up a mint huo lotr about 3 weeks ago and im totally stoked. Think it will be a couple of years before I can do that again, but I did prove to myself that if I put my mind to it ,I can get what I want, an im very greatful for that!!!!

That is great, I may do something like that.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Thor-NL:

That's some impressive wishlist you have there going
    Good luck in saving for one

Man, that will be a big game's room when pin'ed out

#36 10 years ago

It's just my wishlist. As in: I wish...!

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

a hobby/career I had for 10 years (standup comedy)

Is any of your material on Youtube or elsewhere?

#38 10 years ago

I don't save perse, I usually will buy if I have the money at the time when I want to buy. For the last couple I did sell some playfields, pins, and some arcade cabs to help pay for them. I don't buy very often so I don't usually think about saving for the next one.

#39 10 years ago

I have a friend who has a cool side lil side business where the funds are strictly used for buying pins. He is up to about 12 ish over the past few years so definitely pays off. Won't saw what it is so market isn't flooded since not overly complex, but such a creative idea selling small items. Anyways, was more blown away by the fact he pays for pins like that lol

#40 10 years ago

I've been out of collecting pins for a year or two and I just started putting money away to get back into it. I run a few small businesses based around other hobbies I have and it can be quite the income machine if you're persistent and good at what you know.

#41 10 years ago

I always sell a game to get another. I am @ max capacity and its an expensive hobby

Plus its not over once you get the game even NIB there is all that bling that needs to go on the game!

Sold Spider-Man (had for 5 years) for Hobbit LE
    Sold Fish Tales and Judge Dredd for Star Trek LE loot!

Once you have a collection of games you can rotate it makes it not so painful. But new collectors getting into the hobby must have a hard time now due to increase prices. Glad I got in when I did!

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from ThatsaKicker:

Lessee...50...take the 2...plus 12...

You have fifty pins and are going to sell two of them and then buy twelve more?

Quoted from shimoda:

When will my life insurance pay off?

That's the plan: fake my death, collect the insurance money, then buy more pins!

Quoted from jayvo86:

I really like the flyer idea.

Forget buying the pins and just collect the flyers. Much cheaper that way.

Quoted from accidental:

Hopefully within a year I'll be at three pins.

Not bad, considering that your whole approach is rather accidental.

Quoted from dantebean:

Bonuses and tax returns are rarely ever used for fun money.

So true. Every year I take both the Federal and State tax refunds plus any bonus I get at work and apply it all towards my real estate taxes.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Is any of your material on Youtube or elsewhere?

My very early comedy sets are out there. I think my 2007 funniest comic in Iowa video is out there as well but I am not going to link it.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

That is great, I may do something like that.

Actually here is something I did for some comedy buddies. I did a video bit off one of their songs. My standup I have now deleted from my channel.

(I gained 30 pounds for this role)

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

(I gained 30 pounds for this role)

I admire the dedication to your craft

Maybe you can start hunting around the house for unused things to sell and dedicate that money for a pin fund? One time a pinsider started a thread about the random stuff he was selling on ebay or craigslist to buy a pin and he was going to keep track of it all, but I don't recall how that went

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/saving-up-funds-for-next-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.