Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by kwiKimart
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG3189.jpg
    IMAG3185.jpg
    new_pf.jpg
    olf_pf.jpg
    front_view.jpg
    finished_front_rt_side.jpg
    cabinet_yellow_stencil.jpg
    IMAG2531.jpg
    IMAG2529.jpg
    IMAG2490.jpg
    IMAG2485.jpg
    IMAG2440.jpg
    IMAG2292.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Recently I picked up a serious project BK from DarthPinhead on a business trip to Chicago. Just had to convince work I "needed" to rent a large suv for my trip. Coincidentally, that was the only car available.

I'm just getting started on the restore. Cabinet has a chunk missing and is pretty rough and pf is trashed. But, he also included an extra pf with the deal and it is pretty nice!

Here are some before pics. I just started the the tear down tonight. I'm excited to get this classic up and running! Why do stencils have to cost so much!

Also, I convinced my wife that I would be able to spend more time with her if I worked on this in the dining room.

IMAG2292.jpgIMAG2292.jpg IMAG2440.jpgIMAG2440.jpg IMAG2485.jpgIMAG2485.jpg

#2 12 years ago
    Quoted from jtimmons:

I convinced my wife that I would be able to spend more time with her if I worked on this in the dining room

ha good one. good luck with the restore

#3 12 years ago

under all that grime maybe a good PF
    -good game good score

#4 12 years ago

man, what is with the trashed BK's I've seen lately? for such a highly desired pin, you would think people would take care of them

#5 12 years ago

Another one of my favirite pins. Good luck with the restore - looking forward to seeing the pics!

#6 12 years ago

Good luck getting that knight back in the saddle. Its a beautiful and fun game when in shape.

#7 12 years ago

I've got one in the queue to restore too....Although I have the CPR playfields. Can you check the back of your cabinet....Is it plywood or MDF? The back of my cabinet has a big chunk out of it and it appears to be MDF so I can't fill it like I would plywood. The other three sides of the cab are plywood. Just wondering if that was factory or if someone repaired before.

#8 12 years ago

I think that's the one that came from Galloping Ghost? Good luck, that guy needs a LOT of work!

#9 12 years ago

The magna saves look really good, so it makes me think that playfield will be time well spent.

#10 12 years ago

That's not from GG, I've been there after darth picked his up. Also can't believe darth dumped that project, I probably would have bought it

#11 12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Quoted from robertmee:

Is it plywood or MDF?

MDF

It definitely needs quite a bit, but it will be a lot of fun when finished! BK and Taxi were the 2 games that got me started collecting. I'm sure it will take some cash to get it back running. The main things I need are the stencils and backglass. Just not sure I want to drop $300 on the repro from Mayfair. Hoping to find a decent one from someone who made theirs perfect.

#12 12 years ago

I'll probably drop the coin on a Mayfair one eventually. But I don't know if mine would be considered 'decent'....It's got most of the art, but like many, it is missing a bit of the red.

The guy I bought mine from has my stencils too....he forgot to ship them. Don't know if they are re-useable or what your timeframe is but you can have them after I'm done. Maybe make your own set from them. It'll be the end of the month at least before I get to them.

#15 12 years ago

That's excellent Rob! Thanks for the offer! My backglass is really bad, so I may still be interested.

Added some pics of the tear down tonight. I'm cleaning everything as I take it off. That way I can put it directly on the new pf. Hoping to get it done this weekend, but my wife would rather go to a friends fathers bday party all day tomorrow.

IMAG2490.jpgIMAG2490.jpg IMAG2529.jpgIMAG2529.jpg IMAG2531.jpgIMAG2531.jpg

1 month later
    #16 11 years ago

Well, I finally got around to finishing this BK project! Completed the PF swap and cabinet repair / new paint all around. The only thing left is the apron and possibly the backglass(if I decide to spend the money on a new one).

cabinet_yellow_stencil.jpgcabinet_yellow_stencil.jpg finished_front_rt_side.jpgfinished_front_rt_side.jpg front_view.jpgfront_view.jpg

#17 11 years ago

Looks great! I've got a project BK lined up next after my FH.

#18 11 years ago

Really, really nice! Makes me want to pick up a project BK now that I have enough space in my garage to do pin rework.

#19 11 years ago

Thanks guys! Here is a before and after of the playfield.

olf_pf.jpgolf_pf.jpg new_pf.jpgnew_pf.jpg

#20 11 years ago

Did you have to do any touchups on the pf? Hard to tell because of all the grime, but it doesn't look like there's any wear at all.

1 week later
    #22 11 years ago

WoooHoo!!! Love seeing that classic game. Great job - congrats!!

#23 11 years ago

Nice work! Did you document any of the cabinet work? I remember that it was pretty messed up.

#24 11 years ago

Outstanding work!

#25 11 years ago

That looks incredible - great job!

#26 11 years ago

Looks really good.

OT: You have the same couch we do, just different color.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from jtimmons:

Recently I picked up a serious project BK from DarthPinhead on a business trip to Chicago. Just had to convince work I "needed" to rent a large suv for my trip. Coincidentally, that was the only car available.
    I'm just getting started on the restore. Cabinet has a chunk missing and is pretty rough and pf is trashed. But, he also included an extra pf with the deal and it is pretty nice!
    Here are some before pics. I just started the the tear down tonight. I'm excited to get this classic up and running! Why do stencils have to cost so much!
    Also, I convinced my wife that I would be able to spend more time with her if I worked on this in the dining room.

Attachments
    IMAG2485.jpg (191.8 KB, 0 downloads) 2 months old
    IMAG2440.jpg (193.6 KB, 0 downloads) 2 months old
    IMAG2292.jpg (130.8 KB, 0 downloads) 2 months old

That is some really impressive work!! I would love to have one of these machines myself.

I was curious what type of saw horses you are using there in the pf swap pics?

#28 11 years ago

Looks awsome, and a great game.
    Nice work.

#29 11 years ago

Great to see your 'knight sparkling like new jtimmons
    good work takes time but well worth it

#30 11 years ago

Thanks for the comments! I always like a challenge and it is awesome to see a total transformation.

lol Eviljack...it is a comfortable couch.

The sawhorses are Stanley, I'm pretty sure. Got em at home depot for about 20 bucks because I was too lazy to make a rotisserie.

In the time it took me to finish this one, I bought a fish tales project and a Simpsons project. Just started on FT today. It needs everything, decals, topper, star posts, plastics, coin door. Guess I like punishment! IMAG3185.jpgIMAG3185.jpg IMAG3189.jpgIMAG3189.jpg

#31 11 years ago

Congrats on the BK restoration. Can't wait to see what you do on FT.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/saving-this-poor-black-knight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.