(Topic ID: 267006)

POLL: JJP POTC OR Stern JP?...........OR TZ? 272 votes and counting!

By Pinbri

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LesManley
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should my first be?”

• POTC (LE) 113 votes
    39%
  • TWILIGHT ZONE 62 votes
    21%
  • JP (STERN LE) 96 votes
    33%
  • OTHER 21 votes
    7%

(292 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200429_100321 (resized).jpg
IMG20200428202806 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200427_232017 (resized).jpg
A95D7C1C-C294-4B65-B7E8-C93B2DB9CEBA (resized).jpeg
There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

So this is my first post on pinside and I'm looking for feedback in quarantine! I've been a pinball enthusiast all my life and would like to have a home collection one day. I love deep rules. I just watched all of the SDTM Pinball videos and that caught me up on all of the most recent pins. I haven't played POTC or JP (Stern) but I'm interested to see what people think about how these two will fare in the long run?

Pinside, what should my first pin be and why?

#2 3 years ago

1994 Guns n Roses. Just my opinion. Not a easy find.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbri:

...I haven't played POTC or JP (Stern) but I'm interested to see what people think about how these two will fare in the long run?

Well, Stern LE is a pointless upgrade of monies so let's get that out of your system.
I would just get a JP Premium because you can probably get a new one right now.

#4 3 years ago

Jrotten

Quoted from Jrotten:

1994 Guns n Roses. Just my opinion. Not a easy find.

I've actually never played 1994 Guns n Roses but they are one of my favorite bands! Saw them and Lenny Kravitz at MetLife stadium. Best concert ever. Have you heard anything about JJP potentially making a new one? kinda pumped for that

#5 3 years ago

TheLaw

I think the T-Rex toy is sick but I was a bit disappointed with the Licensing. I could look past it but I really need to play the game to see if the game matches the hype. Thanks!

#6 3 years ago

You're asking for opinions here...

Your choice should be between POTC LE and JP Premium.

POTC LE may be difficult to find. Expensive too. Phenomenal pin. Multiball craziness. 5 flippers. Amazing toys/gadgets. Awesome lighting and audio. Nothing else like it really.

I agree with TheLaw. JP Premium would be the choice JP version. Arguably the best Stern ever. It's just awesome all around. Even without all of the hoped for movie/actor/audio licensing. 3 flippers. Fun modes. Super challenging. Bad ass pin.

Those are currently 2 of my favorite machines of all time.

Another excellent choice would be TWD Premium. Some people bag on it. They're just wrong! It's fantastic. An A+.

All 3 have a deep ruleset.

My vote goes to JP Premium.

Also. For SURE somebody here will tell you to buy a JP Pro and another Stern Pro for the price of a POTCLE. Don't listen to them. They're wrong. Stern Pros are pinball "lite".

Junky

#7 3 years ago

thanks imagamejunky !!! I definitely need to play both of these. I'm listening to the Pinball show now and it seems like a roll out of POTC Black pearl edition is possible but not likely in the near term. I love the idea of getting a pin with an extremely hard wizard mode (i.e. LOTR, TSPP). Something to look forward too and keep the game fresh. Thanks again!

Quoted from imagamejunky:

You're asking for opinions here...
Your choice should be between POTC LE and JP Premium.
POTC LE may be difficult to find. Expensive too. Phenomenal pin. Multiball craziness. 5 flippers. Amazing toys/gadgets. Awesome lighting and audio. Nothing else like it really.
I agree with TheLaw. JP Premium would be the choice JP version. Arguably the best Stern ever. It's just awesome all around. Even without all of the hoped for movie/actor/audio licensing. 3 flippers. Fun modes. Super challenging. Bad ass pin.
Those are currently 2 of my favorite machines of all time.
Another excellent choice would be TWD Premium. Some people bag on it. They're just wrong! It's fantastic. An A+.
All 3 have a deep ruleset.
My vote goes to JP Premium.
Also. For SURE somebody here will tell you to buy a JP Pro and another Stern Pro for the price of a POTCLE. Don't listen to them. They're wrong. Stern Pros are pinball "lite".
Junky

#8 3 years ago

Owner of both (JP prem and JJPOTC LE), both are amazing. If I was buying now, JP. POTC is not $4k better(assuming you can get one for $11k).

#9 3 years ago

Thanks @2000_Alum! Very helpful, I'm seeing POTC go for up to $15 which is crazy but it seems like the rolex of pins. How would you compare the deepness in ruleset between the two? Could you see yourself owning them both long-term?

Quoted from 2000_Alum:

Owner of both (JP prem and JJPOTC LE), both are amazing. If I was buying now, JP. POTC is not $4k better(assuming you can get one for $11k).

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbri:

...but it seems like the rolex of pins...

That's actually a good analogy.

#11 3 years ago

My vote goes to JJP POTC

I doubt that there will ever be another pin quite like this one.

#12 3 years ago

Don't know if JJP is doing a new GNR. I did pin sound & it's even better now. Be hard to top this game with a new version. Not into the newer games but the guys on here know better than me since I don't own those. Good luck, John

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Jrotten:

Be hard to top this game with a new version.

I'm confident that whatever JJP is cooking up, it'll absolutely obliterate that old GNR.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I'm confident that whatever JJP is cooking up, it'll absolutely obliterate that old GNR.

The lcd is going to be such a big deal with this one...what the heck is it going to be?
Cartoons band, cartoon not band, *shudder* band clips?
Maiden = good for me
Aerosmith = bad
Beatles = good - hurts to say that because in dont really like it, but it's a cohesive package.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbri:

Could you see yourself owning them both long-term?

Absolutely!

Rolex of pins
Love it

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

My vote goes to JJP POTC
I doubt that there will ever be another pin quite like this one.

Exactly agree!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

It could happen--it most likely will be better and flashier, but...the DE G&R is a pretty well thought out design and is fun to play. Probably their best effort.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbri:

thanks imagamejunky !!! I definitely need to play both of these. I'm listening to the Pinball show now and it seems like a roll out of POTC Black pearl edition is possible but not likely in the near term. I love the idea of getting a pin with an extremely hard wizard mode (i.e. LOTR, TSPP). Something to look forward too and keep the game fresh. Thanks again!

Nick is spot on with his advice...POTC LE is the best game, but its expensive and u get a lot more for your $ with a JP2 Prem, which u can probably still get NIB....my only caution is the play field issues Stern is having with NIB games. If I was you I would narrow my list to your top 2 or 3 games u want and buy a find nice HUO game that u can inspect and play prior to purchase.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbri:

Thanks 2000_Alum! Very helpful, I'm seeing POTC go for up to $15 which is crazy but it seems like the rolex of pins. How would you compare the deepness in ruleset between the two? Could you see yourself owning them both long-term?

I would consider both rule sets deep. The difference is that KME game wizard modes are “attainable” for mortals, JJPOTC, not so much. So in that case, what does deep mean? How good are you? If looking at just reaching the wizard mode, it will take you a while to get to either, if ever. Looking at ways to tackle it, they both have good breadth as well.

I’m not selling either in the remotely near future. Both are fun as hell! I will say, if you tire on multi ball modes, JJPOTC is not for you.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbri:

to see what people think about how these two will fare in the long run?

Here's the thing, don't think in terms of the "long run" Unless u have the money and space to buy everything u want and keep everything you buy then take the best deal right now and enjoy, neither of those games will disappoint. I prefer JP2 myself but its pinball, no matter how deep or how great the theme ur gonna get bored of it. If I had a nickle for every time I've said "this is a keeper"
I'd have about $1.95.

#21 3 years ago

Thanks PtownPin !! I have heard of the playfield issues on some Sterns. I'm leaning more to POTC for my first but the more I see videos of JP the more I like the design. It will ultimately come down to playing the games =)

Quoted from PtownPin:

Nick is spot on with his advice...POTC LE is the best game, but its expensive and u get a lot more for your $ with a JP2 Prem, which u can probably still get NIB....my only caution is the play field issues Stern is having with NIB games. If I was you I would narrow my list to your top 2 or 3 games u want and buy a find nice HUO game that u can inspect and play prior to purchase.

#22 3 years ago

Thanks Hazoff !! That's a great point, I'm definitely thinking about my future "collection" before owning the first one. SO MANY GOOD PINS THOUGH =)

Quoted from Hazoff:

Here's the thing, don't think in terms of the "long run" Unless u have the money and space to buy everything u want and keep everything you buy then take the best deal right now and enjoy, neither of those games will disappoint. I prefer JP2 myself but its pinball, no matter how deep or how great the theme ur gonna get bored of it. If I had a nickle for every time I've said "this is a keeper"
I'd have about $1.95.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbri:

Thanks ptownpin !! I have heard of the playfield issues on some Sterns. I'm leaning more to POTC for my first but the more I see videos of JP the more I like the design. It will ultimately come down to playing the games =)

You really can't go wrong with either choice....I think its probably a lot easier to find a JP2 than a POTCLE, and you'll save thousands. If you have the dough just buy both....they'll keep you busy for a while

#24 3 years ago

Thanks @2000_alum!! I've been playing for years wherever I get the chance. This cool pinball arcade opened up in NYC "Modern Pinball" and I've played a bunch there. I'd say my infatuation with a "deep game" started when I first really got into pinball and read about The Simpsons Pinball party. I didn't know there could be so much to Pinball! Then I found pinside and started tracking down all the classics. I followed all of the WOZ production when JJP was starting up and I'm hooked. I have heard that one of the drawbacks of JJPOTC is there are so many Multi ball modes but I don't think that would bother me so much because of the deep rule set. I like the idea of chasing the unattainable, having something to always bring me back, and it seems like JJPOTC will have that once the final wizard mode code is out right? POTC also has an insane amount of shots ALL OVER the playfield which excites me Especially the shot underneath the third flipper. Geeking out but nice to have this community to geek out with (as my girlfriend walks into the other room saying "I'm bored, you're boring me" hahah. Thanks again

Quoted from 2000_Alum:

I would consider both rule sets deep. The difference is that KME game wizard modes are “attainable” for mortals, JJPOTC, not so much. So in that case, what does deep mean? How good are you? If looking at just reaching the wizard mode, it will take you a while to get to either, if ever. Looking at ways to tackle it, they both have good breadth as well.
I’m not selling either in the remotely near future. Both are fun as hell! I will say, if you tire on multi ball modes, JJPOTC is not for you.

#25 3 years ago

I own both TZ and POTC and have played plenty of JP2. My vote goes to TZ, because I think the rules in JP2 and POTC can be daunting, and IMO you’ll get more out of TZ, and learn to eventually fix machines in the process. My 3rd machine was a WOZ and I was so scared to work on it I ended up selling. Then I learned...

#26 3 years ago

Rdoyle1978 I will definitely have TZ and I've wanted it for the longest time because its beautiful and there are just so many shots! I love the theme and the overall cohesiveness of the entire pin. Is your's modded out? I can't wait to own one and be able to get all of the amazing mods

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I own both TZ and POTC and have played plenty of JP2. My vote goes to TZ, because I think the rules in JP2 and POTC can be daunting, and IMO you’ll get more out of TZ, and learn to eventually fix machines in the process. My 3rd machine was a WOZ and I was so scared to work on it I ended up selling. Then I learned...

#27 3 years ago

I have them sitting next to each other. JP is a great game but POTC is just incredible. It’s honestly on a different level to everything else out there at the moment. Downside is that it’s now hard to find and v expensive. Hard to say which one you should buy, but from my perspective POTC is a better machine.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Very true about POTC rule set, but if its a one game collection thats definitely the one to own....I agree that TZ is a great game with a lot of great shots, and an easy rule set to understand (and yes your constantly working on the game)....I really wanted to love WOZ since its such a beautiful game (I owned 2)...sold them both as I couldn't get into the game play

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Very true about POTC rule set, but if its a one game collection thats definitely the one to own....I agree that TZ is a great game with a lot of great shots, and an easy rule set to understand (and yes your constantly working on the game)....I really wanted to love WOZ since its such a beautiful game (I owned 2)...sold them both as I couldn't get into the game play

Totally agree it’s a one of a kind, and mine is bolted. But for a first game?

#30 3 years ago

"Rolex of Pins"?, Watch for "Stern" PF issues ( how does the original offender get a pass)?

We are definitely in the twilight zone or the "serious memory lapse/ denial" zone.

Unbelievable....

TZ is an amazing pin...buy, enjoy, and don't look back

#31 3 years ago

MK6PIN Basically meaning they pulled out all the stops with this one no questions asked and obviously the current price haha. I will have a TZ in my collection one hundred percent and I'd also like an Adams family. I love wide body games with tons of shots in all directions. Thanks!!

Quoted from MK6PIN:

"Rolex of Pins"?, Watch for "Stern" PF issues ( how does the original offender get a pass)?
We are definitely in the twilight zone or the "serious memory lapse/ denial" zone.
Unbelievable....
TZ is an amazing pin...buy, enjoy, and don't look back

#32 3 years ago

TZ is a snooze fest

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

TZ is a snooze fest

Disagree, but you do have Rosey cheeks...

I've got nothing to add here except play and do some homework on all 3...lots to look at before dropping this much coin on your first pin.....good luck to Op on his choice...out

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbri:

TheLaw
I think the T-Rex toy is sick but I was a bit disappointed with the Licensing. I could look past it but I really need to play the game to see if the game matches the hype. Thanks!

That’s how I felt about JP until I played it. It’s so fresh, innovative & exciting...it erased all my previous bias concerning license use. You really feel like you’re part of a cinematic dino world as you play.

POTC, on the other hand - not sure why everyone is blowing a load all over it now. While JP didn’t use all the movie assets, they wrote their own narrative & the animation/voices/rules are all
cohesive with that vision. POTC has all these characters & plotlines featured on the playfield, but no personality or anything in the execution.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

TZ is a snooze fest

booooo!

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That’s how I felt about JP until I played it. It’s so fresh, innovative & exciting...it erased all my previous bias concerning license use. You really feel like you’re part of a cinematic dino world as you play.
POTC, on the other hand - not sure why everyone is blowing a load all over it now. While JP didn’t use all the movie assets, they wrote their own narrative & the animation/voices/rules are all
cohesive with that vision. POTC has all these characters & plotlines featured on the playfield, but no personality or anything in the execution.

Can’t agree re: POTC, but JP2 is definitely another masterpiece. Stern has really knocked it out of the park with the last few releases - I just hope the build quality holds up. EHOH is another outstanding release

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Its a big nut for a first game, but so is a nice TZ

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

POTC has way more feel of the movie franchise than JP2....JP2 has essentially zero assets (theme song and logo)....

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Unbelievable....

That's what I was thinking on the PF issues.

Meanwhile, I agreed with the Rolex thing because Rolexes are super expensive, but they're just watches. They might have super high quality (I know, debatable with JJP) but they just do the same damn thing as any other piece.

#40 3 years ago

I'm actually really exited to play EHOH! I love the look of the game and it sounds like the latest code adds to the game substantially.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can’t agree re: POTC, but JP2 is definitely another masterpiece. Stern has really knocked it out of the park with the last few releases - I just hope the build quality holds up. EHOH is another outstanding release

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's what I was thinking on the PF issues.
Meanwhile, I agreed with the Rolex thing because Rolexes are super expensive, but they're just watches. They might have super high quality (I know, debatable with JJP) but they just do the same damn thing as any other piece.

They are sure are nice to wear around your wrist and some are pretty good investments ! and its not JJP that has the quality problem its Stern that has the bigger quality problems....I know u made an honest mistake

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I agree with Rob on this one. I have both and love both. If it's a first game though, I think that the JP Prem is a solid choice. POTC is beautiful and deep, but I think JP has more gameplay fun factor for a single game in a collection. Can't go wrong with either. Play them both enough and your own preference will come forward. Good luck.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbri:

I'm actually really exited to play EHOH! I love the look of the game and it sounds like the latest code adds to the game substantially.

I was not a fan after the first reveal, but one or two code updates later, and it’s one for the ages! The playfield doesn’t look like much at first (I wouldn’t have complained if it had ramps like EATPM), but there are a ton of mechs packed in there, and the rules are surprisingly deep! It’s not POTC complex, but you have several approaches you can take at the outset, and not quite a “story” game like JP2, but it does progress through a narrative of sorts, AND I think it has the best theme integration since the Hobbit. The movies and little inserts are just absolutely spot on from Movie Macabre. Blows SS out of the park I think.

#44 3 years ago
A95D7C1C-C294-4B65-B7E8-C93B2DB9CEBA (resized).jpegA95D7C1C-C294-4B65-B7E8-C93B2DB9CEBA (resized).jpeg
#45 3 years ago

Thanks Hogey !! I can't wait to have the opportunity to play them! Until then, it's just listening to podcasts and STDMP on youtube and talking with everyone one here

Quoted from Hogey:

I agree with Rob on this one. I have both and love both. If it's a first game though, I think that the JP Prem is a solid choice. POTC is beautiful and deep, but I think JP has more gameplay fun factor for a single game in a collection. Can't go wrong with either. Play them both enough and your own preference will come forward. Good luck.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

....I know u made an honest mistake

All i can go on is games I own, and I had more quality issues with JJP.
Luckily neither have been deal breakers for me either way.

#47 3 years ago

I have a standard Potc. Chris at Kingpin supplied (1st nib pin I bought) Looking back would I have bought a nib le or ce at that time if I had the chance yes . For being my first new game I have learned a ton on how these things work . The glass has to come off the pirates often. Balls stuck in weird spots is the most common problem I come up against . In one year my family of 4 has played 2500 games of pirates. I have rebuilt flippers and changed balls and rubbers on a regular basis . The game is a absolute masterpiece . We are very spoiled having it first . Monster bash and WOz came and went. No comparison to our pirates.

As far as JP. We have had a pro in house for a week now . It is a amazing game . In my opinion a much better game to buy as a first time pin owner and a great start to a collection . Again would I like to have a premium or limited yes. Yet in the middle of this covid mess the nib JP pro was the best option I found currently avaliable. Zack at Flip n Out made it a quick and great buying experience .

When and if JJP releases a second run of Pirates I will be buying another one for sure . Buy what you can find now and enjoy it .

The fit and finish on the JJP games are really worth the money they demand. There is a definite reason a Stern pro and a standard JJP are thousands of dollars apart.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbri:

Until then, it's just listening to podcasts and STDMP....

Oh boy

#49 3 years ago

Rdoyle1978 I love the theme and agree. The film inserts look amazing and the house is beautiful. Interested to see your thoughts on Houdini? I love the magic theme, how does that game stack up to these?

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I was not a fan after the first reveal, but one or two code updates later, and it’s one for the ages! The playfield doesn’t look like much at first (I wouldn’t have complained if it had ramps like EATPM), but there are a ton of mechs packed in there, and the rules are surprisingly deep! It’s not POTC complex, but you have several approaches you can take at the outset, and not quite a “story” game like JP2, but it does progress through a narrative of sorts, AND I think it has the best theme integration since the Hobbit. The movies and little inserts are just absolutely spot on from Movie Macabre. Blows SS out of the park I think.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbri:

rdoyle1978 I love the theme and agree. The film inserts look amazing and the house is beautiful. Interested to see your thoughts on Houdini? I love the magic theme, how does that game stack up to these?

Also bolted to the floor. Mine has been perfect out of the box, not a single issue ever from the catapult, I can destroy the inner loop (the alleged “too tight” shot). It’s got deep code, lots and LOTS of modes, every game feels fulfilling.. the catapult never gets old. Great light show (especially “man from beyond” mode). Coolest integration ever of a knocker (on Bullet Catch mode). What more can I say? Build quality is outstanding. SUPER cool mechs. It’s fun to shoot.. I am totally baffled by naysayers, but not every gave connects with everybody (I never really connected with LOTR for example)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/saving-for-my-first-pinhelp-potc-or-tz-or-jpstern-or-other?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.