(Topic ID: 146454)

Saving for first pin! Cheaper, simpler game or pricier, deeper game?

By mystman12

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Yoko2una
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 8 years ago

You will probably just buy whatever title you can find locally.

DO NOT BUY YOUR FIRST PIN SIGHT UNSEEN FROM THE INTERNET. You will get your ass ripped wide open.

Join the local pin league, keep an eye on Craigslist, look for LOCAL sellers on Pinside and MrPinball.

Have your cash and transportation ready at a moment's notice. If you have to wait until the weekend to borrow your brother's van, that game will be long gone. Even if the seller says he will hold it for you, someone else will call and offer $200 more than you, and then suddenly "Hey I'm so sorry, my wife won't let me sell it..... ". You don't want that phone call after getting your dander up for a day or so.

#11 8 years ago

I bet you can get this for $500 bucks: charlottesville.craigslist.org link

They made 20,000 of them, so they are cheap. Fast game, it will up your reaction time.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Floyd:

Save your money and don't get married!

Don't knock up any broads either.

Take the condom with you, don't leave it in the trash.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

Well, the consensus seems to be to go for a less expensive game.

Having an older, easier to service game will hone your pinball maintenance skills without overwhelming you.

Pins are constantly breaking down.

You will soon learn how to read a schematic, use a VOM meter, diagnose switch matrix errors, find dead transistors, replace smoked coils, rebuild sluggish pop bumpers and flippers.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

The only thing I worry about with the earlier system 11s is, especially if it's my only pin, will I eventually be able to max out the display on a regular basis? F-14 is an extremely fast and challenging game that I think I would really enjoy, but I worry that I would eventually get good enough that getting 9,999,999 points would be fairly easy. Is this true, or am I underestimating the amount of challenge in these game? (And yes, I realize I can adjust settings/playfield to make it more difficult)

You will never roll F14.

If you ever get close, you can put the "divide by 10" ROMs in.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/saving-for-first-pin-cheaper-simpler-game-or-pricier-deeper-game?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.