IMG_5991 (resized).JPG
IMG_5990 (resized).JPG
IMG_5989 (resized).JPG
IMG_6029 (resized).JPG
IMG_6225 (resized).JPG
IMG_6001 (resized).JPG
IMG_6295 (resized).JPG
e203f4cb68ed0a1d83e038809df1a549770105c0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

This game was partially working 4 days ago. Unfortunately, in that time, it was deemed that it would bring in more money if parted out... the cabinet was painted black with obscene words painted on it for whatever reason (I'm guessing attention), then smashed to bits while being recorded as it was thrown out... he is parting out/smashing many machines.

I'm not sure I fully understand after watching the videos of him and TNT Amusement when they trashed so many machines... I get they cost money and many are in that "Lost Cause" realm. But they should at least offer to sell them because there a tons of guys like you or I, who'd love to grab one of these roasted bad boys and work on them. This month I jumped into the pinball hobby by picking up a very rough Drop-A-Card. But nothing a coat of paint and thorough cleaning can't fix! If it works then that's good enough in my book! A beater is perfect man-cave quality.
I really just don't understand... sure some parts are worth good money, but it's nominal at best considering the added effort involved in gutting and parting when you could just find someone else who wants to deal with the whole project all together!
It seems more-so that they don't want these cheapo machines passing around and would rather keep the cost of entry high to pad those profit margins.

Quoted from Otaku:

EM spaghetti... Tossed it in the wash on delicate, then to avoid corrosion I threw it in the dryer for a few minutes on the coldest setting (to not melt the very few rubber insulated high voltage wires) while checking on it and took it out while it was mostly dry but still lightly damp to the touch. Now drying fully in front of an air heater.
Don't worry, I'm not in the "spray EVERYTHING with a hose and simple green" club like some but as crazy as this probably sounds to the layman, it is perfectly fine if you are careful.

Now THIS is my kind of resto! "If it gets the job done!" that's awesome and almost a shame mine is all together... not sure how to clean the thick armor of dust off the wires when they're already set up. (Any tips?) And what's the simple green refer to? I'm quite a newbie unfortunately!

Quoted from Otaku:

Today I cleaned off the rest (did some a few days earlier) of the back panel with a magic eraser. I didn't really want to paint it although I am going for that kind of restoration, but I wanted to keep the original pencil and pen markings while also keeping the original paint on it. It is not in bad shape. This thing was DIRTY. Worked nicely! All of the original labels of the units & settings remained/remain intact on this piece of wood in pretty nice condition. There is even still the original piece of construction paper on a part of it which looks like it blocked a line of sockets from making a connection against something else once fully assembled. Cool!

Same question applies if this is a good route to clean a filthy machine? Basically the one I acquired was only on location for a few years and has spend several decades rusting out in some warehouse. Hardly any wear but in a cocoon of dust.

Quoted from Otaku:

The title of this post should be "BARBARIC 1963". :O
...remove the thin mercury-filled vial that acts as one of the tilt switches. WTF? Yes, you read that right. (on the contrary, I do realize a lot of you probably won't be surprised)... quickly got it out of my house and into a safe storage location elsewhere off-site in a padded carrying case.
I know some people are going to say "oh, that's completely fine" (lol) but having this thing bumped around and moved constantly as I work on it, in my own home, is not a good mix. Crazy! This would never pass today.

I am one of those people! I previously dabbled with chemistry and almost became a science major. I enjoy messing with chemicals and elements. Mercury is one of the most fascinating and captures most peoples attention with how unique and otherworldly it's properties! The dangerous form is Organic Mercury or methylmercury. It can be absorbed through skin, and will combine with other substances very readily. It can be inhaled as vapors and can poison you pretty quickly... However contrary to all the buzz, Elemental mercury is very stable and doesn't react with 99% of our environment. That's the one found in most of those older devices and also what used to be used as medicine as it can be ingested and will likely pass completely through you without any harm (most likely, but strong advised against) That's also the reason all of the folks from back in the day, up till whenever mercury became so widely scrutinized, aren't dying in droves from poisoning, because elemental mercury is relatively harmless! (It vaporizes much slower than other forms but it's still best to avoid inhaling the vapors)
I like to keep the stuff because it's so interesting and wondrous to look at, as well as it's many uses in old equipment. If you really don't want the tilt mech. I'd be interested in it!

Quoted from Otaku:

My cousin's new husband (we're all pretty close) works at a carpentry shop and said he would be able to build a pinball cabinet to specific dimensions. Great!

That's quite the break! I was musing about taking this route because the idea of preserving and salvaging games with wrecked cabinets is very alluring except for figuring out how to fabricate a new cabinet! If I come across any games in such a state I'll be sure to keep you in mind!

1 week later
#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Hmm, this guy seems to do it whole. That seems like the MUCH better option as long as the cabinet holds its four sides together, which I believe it is sturdy enough to do so through the process. I never thought of using a table saw. If I can source one of those, that would likely be a better idea than anything else I had in mind so far.
I have a close cousin in the woodworking profession, going to see what he thinks and if he can be any assistance in this endeavor. Anyways, off to VA I go!
» YouTube video

Sounds like quite the challenge, good luck! I'm excited to see how it goes

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

I somehow managed to delete a nice version of this I had almost ready to post, what a pain in the ass! Oh well, here goes again:
463 (and a little more) miles and 2 whole days later, I have found a suitable body cabinet for my Star-Jet project! (with some small modifications done it will be 100% accurate).....

That's awesome! I love the pictures!
What a nice game room, it seems everyone has a skee-ball along with their pinballs!
I really would love to have my own personal arcade Gotta fine space and money first!

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

I got some good sleep on a comfy couch, then the next day I loaded that up, then made my way up to Leesburg, Virginia to pick up a 1969 Gottlieb Skipper in beautiful condition for a great price

Can you post some video of the Skipper in action? I am thinking of picking up one of these for cheap, but surprisingly there are no videos of it yet! I wanna find out if this game is any fun or worth it, so lemme know!

1 month later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/saving-1963-star-jet-saving-working-very-rare-part-out-destroyed-em?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.