Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210625_152127 (resized).jpg
    20210625_151848 (resized).jpg
    20210601_165302 (resized).jpg
    20210601_131443 (resized).jpg
    20210601_125305 (resized).jpg
    20210601_125733 (resized).jpg
    20210601_125723 (resized).jpg
    20210601_120219 (resized).jpg
    20210601_122057 (resized).jpg
    20210601_120229 (resized).jpg
    20210531_130153 (resized).jpg
    082B7DDF-3F13-42D2-8796-3B551CDFA3B1 (resized).jpeg
    885576AF-C6AF-4155-85ED-13B6640D2152 (resized).jpeg
    1818CD77-FDB0-422F-A062-1077CAD1A129 (resized).jpeg
    tray (resized).jpg
    IMG_5798 (resized).jpg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaK:

I'm used to drilling out rusty bolts at work, so drilling and tapping a 3/8 bolt is no big deal for me. I don't think I saw anyone using Naval Jelly for the rust? I've done 2 sets of legs with it and for something I expected to be painting came out close enough that with a coat of wax, they look pretty good. I brush it on with a parts cleaning brush, let it sit for a while and rinse it off. One set I did 2x to remove some heavy rust on the inside of the legs.

Naval Jelly is all I used until I tried evaporust. I still use it though for larger parts that I can’t submerse. It’s intense stuff!

#52 2 years ago

This story goes well with this thread, so I'll post it despite the fact that I look like a blooming idiot.

I got the Merry Go Round I'm working on for free. A set of rusty, but salvageable legs came with it. I measured them and they're 31 inches. So I think, cool, I'll get these in the bath and see how they come out.

Absolutely sparkle. So I mount the leg protectors on the cab and bolt on the four legs. Set it down and back off to admire it and I go, "WTF?"

They look great, but the game is at a height that only Shaquille O'Neal would want to play it. I looked on PBR's website at Steve's leg guide. It says 1960 used 31 inches. However, I didn't read the fine print that said, multi players used varying lengths. Oops.

I have four 27 inch legs lying around that I had previously painted gray, then stored away for possible future use. I pulled them out and painted them hunter green, which is the color of the narrow stripe on the cab and the head. Not stock, but I think they'll look ok, and it's an easy fix if I don't like it. It appears to me the four inch drop is about what I need to get the game down to standard height.

Damned fine print...

But I will have some nice 31 inch legs stored for a future project

#53 2 years ago

Yeah, I'm wondering what game would look good and be at the correct height with these 31" dark bronze hammer-finished legs.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I appreciate that. I've just never come across it anywhere.
    CLR works pretty good too, and I see it everywhere.

Here you go Joe. once you try it, you'll never use anything else. I've been using the pvc pipe trick for years. The only thing with evaporust is it doesn't work well in cold temperatures. So in a cold garage in the winter it isn't very effective. Otherwise, great stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Original-contains-non-toxic-biodegradable/dp/B00M0TLQ66/ref=sr_1_5

#55 2 years ago

I bought some a few years ago and never had a ton of luck with it, but I never did a great job submersing it either. Back then it was over $30 a gallon, so it has come down a lot.

This thread inspired me to have another go at it.

I found 33" Schedule 40 PVC pipe on Craigslist along with a threaded plug for a total of $5.

I went to Lowes and got a cap, a coupling and some cement for $15.

I ordered another gallon of Evaporust for $16.

So for $36, I'm back in the game. I need to save 3 legs to make it worth my money. I'm excited to give it a go.

#56 2 years ago

You won’t be disappointed, just make sure you rinse and dry the legs after they are done with the Evaporust. Apply some sort of polish after to preserve the finish

Alberto

#57 2 years ago

This is the way...

Set-up: 4" diameter PVC Pipe, approximately 40" long. Bottom cap glued on. Top cap friction fit. Filled with enough Evaporust to cover legs completely.
    Preparation:
    1) Remove leg levelers (why? because they take up more space in pipe, use more active ingredients, and leave more sludge in pipe). Besides, they really should be replaced.
    2) Remove surface rust - lightly on show surfaces with brass wire brush (not enough pressure to scratch chrome), brush the back sides with a steel wire brush, especially the bottom where all the gunk has collected. Use screwdriver to clean the groove on the bottom seam. The idea is not to waste the evaporust needlessly and to allow it to get to the metal surfaces.
    3) Stack the legs and tie some plastic string through the top bolt holes of all four legs (they will easily fit into the 4" tubes this way). Lower them into the pipe until they hit the bottom, making sure the liquid covers the legs completely. Loop the string inside the top of the tube where you can reach it. I have even done eight at once by hanging another set upside down with the string through the bottom leveler bolt hole and interlocking the angles with the other set. Put cap on pipe to prevent evaporation.
    4) Soak 24 hours. I usually put a sticky note with the time/date on the top so I don't forget when they went in.
    5) Remove cap and lift the legs by pulling up with the string and let most of the the fluid drip off. I use an old towel to quickly wrap the legs until I can get them to a sink for rinsing. Evaporust dries sticky and you probably don't want to drip it all over the floor.
    6) Untie the string and individually wash each leg, rubbing all surfaces to remove the evaporust and the treated rust residue. Rinse with hot water and dry with another old towel.
    7) Polish the legs with Mothers Chrome polish.
    8) Install new levelers.

I have done well over 100 legs with this set-up. I usually just leave the fluid in the tube between cleanings and I have never filtered the sludge, just add more when it gets low. You will probably need at least 2 gallons to start. I have 3, but also use it in other containers for different size parts.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from aahgo:

You will probably need at least 2 gallons to start. I have 3, but also use it in other containers for different size parts.

I ordered two gallons. Going to get my PVC pipe rig at Lowes.
    I'm sure I'll be coming across some rusty legs which will need the treatment. Gotta get more Mother's too.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from Topcard:

Here you go Joe. once you try it, you'll never use anything else. I've been using the pvc pipe trick for years. The only thing with evaporust is it doesn't work well in cold temperatures. So in a cold garage in the winter it isn't very effective. Otherwise, great stuff.
    amazon.com link »

Thanks. Ordered two gallons.

1 week later
    #60 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Thanks. Ordered two gallons.

Welcome to the club JR.

2 weeks later
    #61 2 years ago

Ok, so those rusty stems have been spared! I finished them with Krylon Fusion Hammered Silver, but I'm not really happy with the finish. It's not even close to the authentic hammered finish you get with Hammerite spray. More of a fuzzy kind of finish. But, they're going to be used again instead of getting scrapped.

20210625_151848 (resized).jpg20210625_151848 (resized).jpg20210625_152127 (resized).jpg20210625_152127 (resized).jpg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/save-those-legs/page/2?hl=dcrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.