(Topic ID: 161527)

Save or Scrap? The FREE SURE SHOT thread.

By spiroagnew

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00-pins (resized).jpg
20160919_094121 (resized).jpg
20160917_232625 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160917_195555 (resized).jpg
20160913_204432 (resized).jpg
20160721_124713_(resized).jpg
pbrev05_(resized).jpg
pbrev07_(resized).jpg
pbrev06_(resized).jpg
pbrev04_(resized).jpg
20160629_135356_POST_(resized).jpg
SHOT2_(resized).jpg
SHOT3_(resized).jpg
SHOT1_(resized).jpg
20160607_153343_(resized).jpg
20160607_153238_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 7 years ago

Easily restorable.

1 week later
#43 7 years ago

Still think Steve Young is missing the boat by not tooling up to do the lockdown bars. They are in such demand.

Nice job on the backbox.

4 weeks later
#55 7 years ago

That's a hell of a job both in cab repair and stencil making. Not at all an easy stencil to do.

What did you use for stencil material and how did you cut it.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I use a velum/mylar type material. Very thin and flexible. Easy to work with. I lightly weight the stencil down with old leg bolts and other metal junk when it comes time to spray--that way it gets the ever important "overspray" effect. I've done a bunch of cabs in the past year: Solar City, World Fair, Jack Open, Spanish Eyes, two Volleys, two Joker Pokers and now this Sure Shot which required the most work of them all. On deck, I have a Melody and a Stern Stars.

Similar to what I use and basically the same process I use, I'm just interested in what you use to cut it out.

#62 7 years ago

I did circles on Royal Guard, that game has several of them, and I used a circle cutter that worked pretty well. That's a good tip about the weighting, I think at times I've weighted too much and gotten a sharp edge with little overspray, which does tend to show the imperfections in the cutting process. I've got some stencils I've used and am done with, I might practice on some cardboard with them and some lesser weighting and see if that helps. I've also bought a new X-Acto knife that is designed more for cutting rounded shapes, I'll see how that works when I cut my next stencils.

I've used French curves as a guide with a standard X-Acto before, but the blade tends to get caught on the edges. I think this new knife will help with that issue too. I repainted a Triple Strike with all those bowling pins on the sides and that was tough. Same issue, any deviation from perfectly cut showed up in the end result due to sharper edges.

Thanks for the tips. The more you do this and the more you read about other guys doing it, the more you learn.

I'll buy Pinball Pimp stencils if they're available but this is all good to know for other games he hasn't done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Vista, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/save-or-scrap-the-free-sure-shot-thread?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.