(Topic ID: 161527)

Save or Scrap? The FREE SURE SHOT thread.

By spiroagnew

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00-pins (resized).jpg
20160919_094121 (resized).jpg
20160917_232625 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160917_195555 (resized).jpg
20160913_204432 (resized).jpg
20160721_124713_(resized).jpg
pbrev05_(resized).jpg
pbrev07_(resized).jpg
pbrev06_(resized).jpg
pbrev04_(resized).jpg
20160629_135356_POST_(resized).jpg
SHOT2_(resized).jpg
SHOT3_(resized).jpg
SHOT1_(resized).jpg
20160607_153343_(resized).jpg
20160607_153238_(resized).jpg

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I scored a FREE pinball machine, and its my first freebie. Thanks to pinball_customs, I'm the proud owner (adopter?) of a Gottlieb SURE SHOT. Brock found the game in the barn, and it shows because, unfortunately, the condition is of this Sure Shot is SURE SH*T. But what do you want for free, right?? I was going to put together a poll to see if the game should be saved, parted or re-themed, but as a bit of a purist, I'm heavily leaning towards trying to save the game...but I do have a few laments/reservations/concerns I've outlined below.

The Good: The playfield is decent. No significant wear areas. As you can see from the pictures, it was missing a ton of inserts. I removed the playfield, turned it right side up and the inserts came sliding out from under the apron. Jackpot! All the inserts but one: the outlane “2” insert...which should be easy enough to find/recreate. All the plastics are whole, except for the one up the middle in front of the centre pop bumper...which I suspect is broken on a good number of these machines. Pinball Rescue down under has a set available for purchase if I so choose. Cabinet will need a repaint but I'm pretty proficient with cutting stencils and laying paint on this era of game...I've done about eleven cabinets to date, so resurrecting the art on this one won't be a problem.

The Bad: The structure of the cabinet is a mess. Lots of delamination. The back panel of the cab will need to be replaced altogether. I'll need to find a creative way to replace the broken corners of the side planels where they meet the back panel...an important point where the legs meet the cabinet...so Bondo won't do. The head will also need a lot of attention, but nothing some glue, clamps and woodfiller won't fix. The game is missing a bunch of small things like flipper switches, coils, playfield glass, legs and a lockdown bar. All readily available, but all costing money. Probably more missing surprises, too. Lots of cracked posts. The coin door is going to be hell to clean up (I'm thinking of keeping the “Totally Awesome” sticker). The backglass is pretty rough and the paint is not just flaking, its peeling off in large chunks. I may triple thick it, but its probably too far gone. If I chose to restore, BGResto can probably help out with a replacement...but that's even more money. Oh, and mouse sh*t. Plenty of mouse sh*t, that's bad right?

I guess you could file this last lament under “Bad”, too, but I'm trying not to look a gift horse in the mouth: it's a bloody Sure Shot. Not a desirable title by any stretch of the imagination, nor one I see myself keeping for an extended period of time once complete. Should I invest my time and energy (and money) into saving a game that I'm not really keen on? And further, one that I'll probably have a hard time moving once it is complete? Game room space for me is at a premium as it is. Should I be saving this game just so I can say I saved the game? If it were an Atlantas or Centigrade 37 or Rock Star or Neptune or even Sure Shot's add-a-ball cousin, Bank Shot, I think the decision would be a whole lot easier. I've got a few projects (of more desirable titles) that need restoration sitting in the queue that I'm in no real big hurry to get to. I kind of want to embark on this project to see how well it will turn out. Restoration for the sake of restoration, I guess.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance.

20160604_005149_(resized).jpg20160604_005149_(resized).jpg

20160604_005209_(resized).jpg20160604_005209_(resized).jpg

20160604_005157_(resized).jpg20160604_005157_(resized).jpg

20160604_005356_(resized).jpg20160604_005356_(resized).jpg

20160604_005646_(resized).jpg20160604_005646_(resized).jpg

20160604_005654_(resized).jpg20160604_005654_(resized).jpg

20160604_010111_(resized).jpg20160604_010111_(resized).jpg

20160604_010120_(resized).jpg20160604_010120_(resized).jpg

20160604_010142_(resized).jpg20160604_010142_(resized).jpg

20160604_010125_(resized).jpg20160604_010125_(resized).jpg

20160604_010929_(resized).jpg20160604_010929_(resized).jpg

20160604_010938_(resized).jpg20160604_010938_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I hope you save it, or pass it over to someone who will. When they're gone they're gone. And as well as the awesome sticker I hope you preserve and remount the iron workers one! Best of luck.

#3 7 years ago

Loose inserts are common with this title. They aren't hard to find either.

$250 for a new backglass and you are still only 250 into the game.

I don't know that I'd bother with full blown restoration but that's not my thing. It looks like it's in nice shape inside and that's a pretty simple/easy game to get working mechanically. The Iron Workers local sticker is also badass.

I'd say save it, unless you really need a parts machine.

If it were me it would probably be stripped for a parts machine - I don't have space for a major project like that but maybe you do.

#4 7 years ago

Looks a hell of a lot nicer than the last two Gottliebs I have done. Save it

#5 7 years ago

I have saved worse. I have a 2001 here now that is 100x worse.
I'll take pictures and start a new thread. I am going to save it

#6 7 years ago

Easily restorable.

#7 7 years ago

I would save it. Seems to only be missing some easy to find play field inserts and some Bondo.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Restoration for the sake of restoration

My thoughts exactly

#9 7 years ago

No mouse nest so I think you are ahead of a lot of games that people have restored on here. Go for it.

#10 7 years ago

Yeah, whut they said. the cab is just wool, find a doner cab if you want to , its a player, not a collector.
and, if you dont tell, no one would know it had a doner cab.
Make the save!!!

#11 7 years ago

If you don't want it meet me at the border and I'll take it! Save that machine!

#12 7 years ago

totally awesome

#13 7 years ago

Save it!! It's a wedgehead!!

#14 7 years ago

That one is an easy save and a fun game as well. I have restored worse to collector quality. Have fun on your new restoration.

#15 7 years ago

Hey, if nothing else, send the playfield to this guy in Chile!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-eaten-by-termites-it-is-fixable#post-3178758

#16 7 years ago

I would rebuild the cabinet on this title. I just finished rebuilding a brand new cab for my Fast Draw which was is in similar condition.I think the cab was in some kind of flood and was rotted and mouldy. I know making a custom cab from scratch is a lot of work and very expensive but for me its worth it. I have 2 other machines in the line up for re-cab as well. I'm ready for painting. Whatever you do don't scrap it, I will take it and re-cab it.

20160605_173506_(resized).jpg20160605_173506_(resized).jpg

20160605_173602_(resized).jpg20160605_173602_(resized).jpg

20160605_173804_(resized).jpg20160605_173804_(resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

That's a lot of work, but some people have that woodworking knack. Having all the tools and equipment sure helps too.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That's a lot of work, but some people have that woodworking knack. Having all the tools and equipment sure helps too.

If you enjoy woodworking and pinball then its a great match because you can upgrade the cab as you see fit. In my case I used solid oak and Maple trims throughout, 3/4" oak plywood floor and upgraded leg bolt plates. You can save a few hundred without those upgrades but labour is still the same. I just hate seeing a pin go to the scrap yard.

#19 7 years ago

Wow, that cab looks amazing!! You know you're gonna have to get a repro backglass now.

#20 7 years ago

Save it!

#21 7 years ago

Save this machine!

#22 7 years ago

As a side note I owned a Sure Shot for quite a while and only sold it as I only have room for 6 machines which have to be "A" title to me. I consider Sure Shot a "B+" title and if I ever get more room may have to seek it out again.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I scored a FREE pinball machine, and its my first freebie. Thanks to pinball_customs, I'm the proud owner (adopter?) of a Gottlieb SURE SHOT

The motor/relay board has 'CANADA' stamped on it so it has originally shipped to Canada. That Iron Workers Local Decal, their office location is Edmonton Alberta.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

The motor/relay board has 'CANADA' stamped on it so it has originally shipped to Canada. That Iron Workers Local Decal office location is Edmonton Alberta.

I love that stuff. It's the stuff that tells the history of a game and how it was on location somewhere before you owned it. It's impossible to recreate such a thing of beauty.

Please leave the stickers on the outside of the cab! As time goes on you will see fewer and fewer games with this charm as people "restore" them.

#25 7 years ago

Shit,I've had worse games that DIDN'T come out of a barn.and I'm not ready to sell the Flipper Pool just yet.

Ted

#26 7 years ago

Yea hook up with SuperPinball and get a cab made. my decision usually rests with the pf for B list tittles. Ive got an Aqurius with a crappy pf, jury is out on that one (anybody in Texas wants an Aquarius let me know)

ken

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:Yea hook up with SuperPinball and get a cab made.

The cabinets look nice but there is no way I'm getting a cab made for this game. Perhaps for a game I'm in love with...but Sure Shot, not so much. I'll probably attempt to repair what I have.

#28 7 years ago

The obvious answer is to save it. It isn't even all that bad, relative to some of the things that have made their way into my game room!

#29 7 years ago

At least take a crack at saving it. Sure Shot is a surprisingly fun game. I often regret selling one that I used to have, just because I needed more space. Sure, it's not a drop-target game that everyone loves, but it really surprisingly addictive, especially if set for 5-ball play.

Lee

#30 7 years ago

Get it working, add the inserts, clean it up and see where you're at. No reason to jump all in until you know the game works and you like it. If you don't sell it as a players game. Nice to see another one saved.

#31 7 years ago

no this would be a "save or scrap" machine
the bottom cab broken apart, head was still intact. all jones plugs cut but one.
some minor rust here and there. pf and plastics are nice backglass was good.
what would you do?

20160607_153202_(resized).jpg20160607_153202_(resized).jpg

20160607_153338_(resized).jpg20160607_153338_(resized).jpg

20160607_153238_(resized).jpg20160607_153238_(resized).jpg

20160607_153343_(resized).jpg20160607_153343_(resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I removed the playfield, turned it right side up and the inserts came sliding out from under the apron. Jackpo

I think you have the 1 and 2 ball inserts switches on the center rack of pool balls according to correct colors. Just trying to save you a headache when you get it going.
Nice score..nice price!!

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I think you have the 1 and 2 ball inserts switches on the center rack of pool balls according to correct colors. Just trying to save you a headache when you get it going.
Nice score..nice price!!

Yeah, some were just placed into random holes, so I've observed. I'll follow Vic Camp's pics on IPDB before final setting. Thanks for the heads up.

#35 7 years ago

If anyone can part with a GTB lockdown bar (buttons on the bottom, not tabs) for this project I'd be willing to open my wallet.

#36 7 years ago

I saved a Sure Shot that was alot worse than that. I like the old markings and writings on a cabinet . It's the machine talking to you

#37 7 years ago

I got the head taken apart today. Drilled out the lock and upon lifting the backboard out, it took with it large chunks of the backglass paint. The fragments of paint were so delicate, they disintegrated upon making eye contact with them. As I figured at the outset, I'm gonna need to get in contact with BGResto for a new glass. The player unit is completely frozen and needs to be rebuilt. I have a spring kit from PBR kicking around from another project, so that's a bonus. The AX relay will also need some attention, the score reels are a bit stiff and there is a latch relay that looks like it'll give me fits. As it stands, the head has been nailed, glued and clamped...and I've captured the art to cut my stencils. I think I'll deal with the head first since its more manageable...and it'll motivate me to move along with the complete mess that is the cabinet.

In other news, I knew the lockdown bar was gonna cost me, but dip my balls in sweet cream and squat me in a kitchen full of kittens I didn't think it was gonna cost THIS much. If any Pinside EM pilgrim has one to spare, let me know...I'll put the money in your pocket.

If it ain't clear, I'm going ahead and trying and bring this hot mess back to life.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I knew the lockdown bar was gonna cost me, but dip my balls in sweet cream and squat me in a kitchen full of kittens I didn't think it was gonna cost THIS much. If any Pinside EM pilgrim has one to spare, let me know...I'll put the money in your pocket.
If it ain't clear, I'm going ahead and trying and bring this hot mess back to life.

how much were they asking?

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

how much were they asking?

Know that I've never had a machine missing a lockdown bar with button locks...

The sticker shock of $150US after shipping, easily $200CAD after exchange, took me by surprise.

It's the price you have to pay for a part they only used for about five years, I guess?

#40 7 years ago

the one piece bar with pins is a hard one to find. 150 is a bit high but not uncommon.
i have purchased parts machines for just the bar.

#41 7 years ago

June 15 2016 Update:

- Still no lockdown bar less than $150USD. Still looking before spending that much.

- Sent my payment in to BGResto for a repro backglass. $195USD well spent...grouping it in with some local guys who are ordering as well, so it'll save on some shipping charges.

- I couldn't help myself and got to work on the head. I cut the stencils. I did all the repair and filler work. I sanded. I lightly primed. I painted my base white. I spattered. I shot the stencils. And this is what I ended up with.

SHOT1_(resized).jpgSHOT1_(resized).jpg

- I found this little surprise. It's the wire that gangs the bottom pop bumpers' end of stroke switches together...it got a *little* warm. So hot it burned the cloth wrap and the wax gut, and scorched the underside of the playfield in a couple of places. I found that it had actually broken further on from where I took the picture...the wire was no longer thin strands of metal twisted together, it was two masses of molten metal at its break point. Resistance in the line? Is this type of failure a common occurrence?

SHOT3_(resized).jpgSHOT3_(resized).jpg

- I've torn down most of the playfield. Nearly all of the posts will need to be replaced...many disintegrated in my hands upon removal. I'll have to assess the pop bumper bodies to see if they suffered the same kind of deterioration. The playfield seems to be in exceptional shape...protected by years of dirt. There are virtually no ball swirls..just a few vertical cracks and wear around the kickout holes/inserts that'll need to be addressed. Hardly my most adventurous touchup job, that's for sure. I'll leave with a parting, obligatory, shot of my son "working" on the underside of the playfield.

SHOT2_(resized).jpgSHOT2_(resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Is this type of failure a common occurrence?

I would say that someone either put a higher output fuse or no fuse at all and that is why the wire burned so badly from a short. If it had been properly fused there is no way would that have happened.

#43 7 years ago

Still think Steve Young is missing the boat by not tooling up to do the lockdown bars. They are in such demand.

Nice job on the backbox.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I would say that someone either put a higher output fuse or no fuse at all and that is why the wire burned so badly from a short. If it had been properly fused there is no way would that have happened.

Fuses were all out of spec...however, no cigarette foil or screws, so that was a bonus. The 25A in the 10A holder was a nice surprise, and likely the culprit? Anyhow, the first thing I did was pull all the fuses so the correct value could be put in.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Still think Steve Young is missing the boat by not tooling up to do the lockdown bars. They are in such demand.

Yeah...Mr. Young has no plans of stocking/tooling any more. Shame.

#46 7 years ago

Copper wire is a great conductor until it's not. As the wire heats up, the resistance of that wire increases from near 0 to a value greater than 0. This in turn increases the current draw, which will produce (you guessed it) more heat. It's a cycle that will continue until something fails (usually the fuse). In this case, be thankful that it was just that wire (that you've found so far).

25A is a lot of current for a pinball machine. Especially on the 24V line... I won't be shocked if you have some surprises on your score reels/chimes/other coils which could activate with each pop pulse.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Nearly all of the posts will need to be replaced...many disintegrated in my hands upon removal.

Very typical for this title.

#48 7 years ago

Watch for a later model shark fin style lock bar at a fair price along with a shark fin style receiver and update your game for probably half or less of what the button style lock bars are supposedly fetching.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Watch for a later model shark fin style lock bar at a fair price along with a shark fin style receiver and update your game for probably half or less of what the button style lock bars are supposedly fetching.

mike you might note that some cabinet modification is required

#50 7 years ago

Ship it to Sweden (you pay of course ) and i'll take it off your hands for free.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 139.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Cosmic Craft Company
Decorations
Lighting
Cobra Amusements
Lighting
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/save-or-scrap-the-free-sure-shot-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.