Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Roo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

The P3 software framework now supports saving and restoring game states. This allows players to save the state of their games and later restore them to continue from where they left off.

If, for example, a new game 3-ball game is started and a previous state is restored, the player will play the full 3-ball game from the point at which the state was saved. This allows players to progress deeper into the game than they might be able to in a single 3-ball game.

This feature works whenever a player is logged in with a profile name, whether it's a single-player, multi-player, or even a team game.

Play in fullscreen mode for best results.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#2 5 years ago

Another great innovation, Gerry. I can think of a less glamorous application of this new feature that would be pretty useful to me (and maybe others) in my role as a new daddy. Often, I'll grab a game in the evening, shortly before bath/bed time. If I have a good game, I'll usually need to shut things down prematurely in order to take care of more important matters like bathing our son and putting him to bed. This game-save feature would allow me to come back to that stellar game once we could ensure our little dude's slumber wouldn't be disturbed. Awesome work as usual.

Keep 'em comin', Gerry!
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#3 5 years ago

So awesome.

1 month later
#4 5 years ago

This is interesting. It reminds me of playing old video games on an emulator and using save states to "cheat" (i.e. save at the beginning of every level or boss fight so you don't have to completely start over when running out of lives -- you can just reload that saved state).

It's good that reloading a state invalidates scores. Hopefully you can save a state without invalidating your score, though. For example, you finally get that 8-ball multiball locked and ready on your last ball and so you save the state. You then continue like normal, but you drain quickly and the game ends. Your score counts on the leaderboard like normal. But you wonder what your score could have been if you did well on the multiball, so you load that state and try it out. That game continues like normal but the score doesn't count.

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

This game-save feature would allow me to come back to that stellar game once we could ensure our little dude's slumber wouldn't be disturbed

As it's described, I don't think this feature would actually help you for this situation. They would need some sort of "pause and resume" feature. Pinball FX2 actually has this so you can quit the application in the middle of a game and come back later. The next time you load that table, your game resumes as if you never left. The loaded state is deleted immediately and you can't re-resume from that same point multiple times or anything.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 9,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
6,500 (Firm)
9,995 (Firm)
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 34.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 221.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 222.00
Cabinet - Decals
Buthamburg
$ 689.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside