(Topic ID: 65295)

Saturn vs normal flipper rubber - precise measurements

By Aurich

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    inconceivable.jpg
    flipper-saturn.jpg
    flipper-normal.jpg
    saturn-vs-normal.jpg
    point-two.jpg
    saturn-red.jpg
    saturn-purple.jpg
    normal-yellow.jpg
    normal-blue.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

There's been some question about whether the new Saturn flipper "rubbers" are larger than normal, and thus would change the flipper gap and other things like that. So I'm not a scientist with a lab, but I did get a couple orders of the neon Saturns, I have some spare "normal" rubbers lying around, and I own digital calipers, so I did some quick checks. In all cases I tried to keep the same amount of pressure on the caliper jaws, the results should be pretty accurate.

First up the normal rubbers, which are blue and yellow (note that they were not exactly the same, there's some variance) 3.83mm and 3.97mm:

normal-blue.jpgnormal-blue.jpg normal-yellow.jpgnormal-yellow.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Next we have the Saturns, neon purple and red, and they're much closer to each other, 4.11mm and 4.13mm. That is slightly larger, so I included a shot of what .2mm looks like for reference, it's damn tiny.

saturn-purple.jpgsaturn-purple.jpg saturn-red.jpgsaturn-red.jpg point-two.jpgpoint-two.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Now the money question, what if you stretch them onto flipper bats? The tiny difference practically disappears. It's funny, even in person the Saturns *look* thicker, I think it's really easy to see why in photos they look so fat, but it's just an optical illusion, the numbers show that they're almost exactly the same. More than close enough for pinball IMHO.

saturn-vs-normal.jpgsaturn-vs-normal.jpg flipper-normal.jpgflipper-normal.jpg flipper-saturn.jpgflipper-saturn.jpg

#4 10 years ago

.1 mm will have no inluence in my opinion.

#5 10 years ago

Is there "cupping" as previously asked?

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from HPR:

.1 mm will have no inluence in my opinion.

Yeah, no, if anything the difference bounce and stick characteristics will change the game, but the size seems like an utter non-issue to me.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Is there "cupping" as previously asked?

No, I don't see any. But looking at it again I think what's happening is the Saturns get a little thinner at the tips of the flippers where they're stretched the most, and don't think quite so much on the sides. Just a different stretch characteristic. That's why they appear fatter to the eye. It's subtle, the length is basically the same, I don't see any of that mattering at all. If you like the way they bounce I think you're good.

I haven't actually had time to put any on a game to test the feel yet!

#8 10 years ago

So the Saturn when installed are overall shorter in length in actuality?

-Jim

#9 10 years ago

Aurich,
    Thanks for measuring. I put some Saturn rings on a few of my games last night and to the human eye they looked the same. This confirms it. After a dozen or so games, I like the feel and bounce.
    Hopefully no more tips falling apart after 50 or so games.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

So the Saturn when installed are overall shorter in length in actuality?
    -Jim

Just barely, yeah, they stretch slightly thinner than rubber. But it's almost imperceptible, and frankly my hand measuring could be slightly off too. Plus as I showed the normals rubbers aren't all the same. So I think the bottom line is there's nothing to worry about.

#11 10 years ago

Interesting...I had a bunch of these rings as they were getting developed. At first glance I thought they were much thicker than older rings that were replaced. While I didn't have a caliper..I did measure them as best I could and found there was no noticeable different in thickness...and overall flipper length. In fact I think I reported to the developer that I thought they were thicker

I think the rings are so shiny..they reflect light a little difference and it's more an optical illusion

#12 10 years ago

Lot's of factors here but because I made the tooling and make the rings ,I can tell you that they are
    .002 Thicker then a standard rubber. The first problem is that the Gum rubber swells and shrinks depending on humidity and exposure to other things, saturn rings do not. The other issue is that measuring rubber with calipers is very very tricky. The slightest pressure can throw you off. One poster is correct that the stretch characteristics are different. Monster Bash is also correct that the finish makes them appear larger. FYI .002 is 2 human hairs. ;o) One must also bear in mind that Williams spec is + - 5 on durometer and + - .003 on dimensions. All Saturn Rings are + - 2 On hardness, much tighter. I would almost go out on a limb and say they + - 1 on hardness but I need some breathing room. ;o)

#13 10 years ago

This is great news, since whenever I miss getting a flipper on the ball, it always seems like it's .1 mm off !

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from saturnrings1:

The other issue is that measuring rubber with calipers is very very tricky. The slightest pressure can throw you off.

Yup. I really tried to keep it the same, but there's no way it's dead on accurate. Should be close enough to show that your rings are in spec though, no one should be worrying about their size.

#15 10 years ago

I got my IFPA rings last night. I think I'll be putting them on tonight. Any reviews on how they play compared to traditional rubber? More/less bouncy? More/less stick?

I like the idea of the IFPA rings, I'll let players much better than me decide what they feel is a good rubber, and just go with that. I can only imagine switching to something else if I hate it, which I doubt I will.

#16 10 years ago

Can I go out on a limb here and say that in one short hour this is one of the best threads that have been on Pinside in a long, long time?

#17 10 years ago

I've put a couple sets of these on the location games at Marvin's in Michigan. They are on TSPP and Tron. Will be interesting to see how they hold up.

Parker

#18 10 years ago

FYI, I'm working on a Tron Transparent Blue Ring.

#19 10 years ago

I see they are almost identical tip to tip, but how about the thick part of the flipper where the shaft connects?

It *looks* like the Saturn is thicker in this dimension, so I wonder if that will make the ball slightly hop when rolling down the inlane....?

Could you measure this and put my mind at ease?

Another post says they are not as grippy as red rubber. Have you found this to be the case, too?

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

Can I go out on a limb here and say that in one short hour this is one of the best threads that have been on Pinside in a long, long time?

Do you mean that it is not like , "Is Metallica better than AC/DC?" "Is MM worth the money?" "Should I buy this High Speed for $50?" type of thread? I agree. One of the best in a while.

#21 10 years ago

But it's almost imperceptible...

imperceptible? why, that's...

inconceivable.jpginconceivable.jpg

I'll probably look at grabbing a set once PPS has all of the rings done and can offer a complete set for one of my machines

#22 10 years ago

we used the WMS blueprints for rubbers measurements by the way ... not sure everyone else has ... then you have to factor in shrinkage, etc.

#23 10 years ago

Thanks for this thread. Like vid said, can you please measure thickness on flipper from front to back please?

#24 10 years ago

would like to know about the different hardness , #1 , #2 ,#3 which one feels and plays best ?

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

would like to know about the different hardness , #1 , #2 ,#3 which one feels and plays best ?

I played a dozen or so games with #2 medium. They have way more bounce than the old black rings but seem to have a little less bounce than the crazy new red rubbers that fall apart in 50 or so games. As to your question on which one feels and plays best? It's personal preference... buy a few of each and see what you like the best. I'm happy with the medium.

#26 10 years ago

I've got 10 games so would like to keep all the same

#27 10 years ago

and which 'normal' flipper ring did you measure - and as we have done depending on who/where/when purchased they all appear to be slightly different in terms of exact measurements as well as durometer ... hmm ... maybe like atomic clocks we need a 'true' reference to exists ... lol

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I see they are almost identical tip to tip, but how about the thick part of the flipper where the shaft connects?
    It *looks* like the Saturn is thicker in this dimension, so I wonder if that will make the ball slightly hop when rolling down the inlane....?
    Could you measure this and put my mind at ease?

No time to post photos again, but you are correct, this is where the largest deviation seems to occur, the Saturn rings are roughly .4mm thicker at the fat side of the flipper bat. Is that enough to really affect gameplay? Not sure, I'm going to go put these purple ones on my Shadow shortly when I can escape my desk for a bit.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

and which 'normal' flipper ring did you measure - and as we have done depending on who/where/when purchased they all appear to be slightly different in terms of exact measurements as well as durometer ... hmm ... maybe like atomic clocks we need a 'true' reference to exists ... lol

Hrrm. I *think* these rubbers I used as the 'normal' baseline were from Pinball Life. It's also possible they were BAA. Where they source them and how they might be different I could not say.

I suspect if we really applied some OMG SCIENCE to all the rubbers floating out there now we'd find a pretty broad range of differences that we just never think about.

#30 10 years ago

All manufacturing process has a tolerance. Per Williams Print Saturn rings are well with in size spec and especially the durometer. Saturn Hardness spec is much tighter.

#31 10 years ago

FYI, Early Beta tester with #1 formula.

#32 10 years ago

Aurich ... I'm not sure that would make a good 'reference' ... I think the WMS blueprint measurement and tolerances would make a good reference (the ones I have are original pdf blueprints ...), as well as to check the tolerances, as well as the durometer ranges. I'm not sure which ones are on spec and which ones are off anymore, but some that we measured were WAY off in durometer readings! ... as someone else had pointed out, when you don't have control over the mfg process, weird things can happen ...

Would be an interesting thread comparing regular gum rubber sizes and durometer readings to see how they all measure up!

Good stuff!

rick

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from PPS:

Aurich ... I'm not sure that would make a good 'reference' ... I think the WMS blueprint measurement and tolerances would make a good reference (the ones I have are original pdf blueprints ...)

Sure, but to me the matter is settled. Some people saw the photos, said "wow those are huge, they must be ruining the game" and the measurements just don't show that. It's interesting to talk specs and tolerances, but at the very least we can relax and realize these aren't big puffy clown rubbers or something.

Ultimately how they play is what matters to me, so gonna put calipers down and actually install some.

#34 10 years ago

Right On Aurich! The real test is how they play. I think I also mentioned in another thread that over the years, especially shooter tips, the rubber has shrinking like those frozen Pizzas and Candy bars!
    A drop of rubber times a million = $$$$$. Saturn rings does not do that!. I would bet that if someone had a 15 year old ring that it has more meat on it.

#35 10 years ago

Any idea when the smaller 1 inch rings will be available?

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from dug:

I played a dozen or so games with #2 medium. They have way more bounce than the old black rings but seem to have a little less bounce than the crazy new red rubbers that fall apart in 50 or so games. As to your question on which one feels and plays best? It's personal preference... buy a few of each and see what you like the best. I'm happy with the medium.

I agree with this assessment.

#37 10 years ago

Great thread Aurich. I was getting a bit concerned that these were going to be too thick compared to stock rubber. Sure is nice to have a thread on Pinside that's actually useful for a change.

#38 10 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

#39 10 years ago

Looking forward to trying out products from both urethane ring manufacturers.

Looks like JCS Super-Bands were just announced at Marco:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts-blog/marco-specialties-introduces-super-bands-high-reliability-pinball-flipper-bands-from-jcs-pinball/#more-876

image.jpgimage.jpg

#40 10 years ago

I just quickly read through this thread, no Uranus jokes?

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I just quickly read through this thread, no Uranus jokes?

This thread is for science and srs bsns only.

#42 10 years ago

Anyone know if there is a plan to release this material as a full replacement for all in game rubbers, slings etc... it would be so sweet to be able to color match in various places... but unsure if this material would work well/be suited for slings etc. I checked the site and its looking like only for flippers as of now...

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

Anyone know if there is a plan to release this material as a full replacement for all in game rubbers, slings etc... it would be so sweet to be able to color match in various places... but unsure if this material would work well/be suited for slings etc. I checked the site and its looking like only for flippers as of now...

Yeah, they're looking at all rubbers.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This thread is for science and srs bsns only.

#45 10 years ago

There there flank, just look directly above your last post for a nice prurient chuckle.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

There there flank, just look directly above your last post for a nice prurient chuckle.

Well, good, because I thought the best rubbers come out of Uranus.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/saturn-vs-normal-flipper-rubber-precise-measurements?hl=cusanus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.