• Latest reply 8 years ago by Pahuffman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2nd coin relay energized makes 2 can play light come on.png
score motor switches ball count.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoeNewberry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

You may want to skip to my next post. This might be helpful to someone else in the future, but I think your issue is probably with the 2nd Coin Relay.

Since it's two player it works a little differently than the four player version. There's no schematic for me to check, but I imagine it's somewhat like what I was talking about with this Williams Olympic Hockey:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/olympic-hockey-not-switcing-back-to-p1

Ball Count Unit, 2nd Coin Relay, or Player Relay involved? Maybe the 2nd Coin Relay is latched and not coming unlatched?

It might also be a misadjusted score motor switch. When the game is in one player mode, it pulses score motor switch 1A and score motor switch 2A, which produces two pulses and makes the ball count unit skip the 2nd player parts of the circuit. If 1A or 2A didn't actually close, the game would go to the 2nd player parts anyway. This could also happen if the 2nd Coin relay was latched, because there is a make/break on it that disables the extra pulse. If it was latched, though, the lights should be changing back and forth from player 1 to player 2 and the game should be indicating "2 can play" from the start. That's what makes me wonder about the score motor switch.

score motor switches ball count.pngscore motor switches ball count.png
The circled red switches are the two pulses that make the game skip the 2nd player. If only one of them is pulsed, because the other switch isn't really making contact, it'd only be advancing one step on the ball count unit, regardless of whether the game was in one or two player mode.

NOTE: This is the schematic for Olympic Hockey from 1972 with step ups on 1A and 2A. The schematic for Lucky Seven from 1977 has the ball count step ups on 2A and 3A instead. There don't appear to be any other 2-player Williams schematics on IPDB in between those years, so I can't tell you for sure which switches are correct for Satin Doll.

#3 8 years ago

D'oh! Not sure how I missed you saying "2 Player Game" light is lit. Forget what I said about the score motor. Check the 2nd Coin Relay. The "2 Can Play" light can only come on when that relay is latched. There's a make/break switch that closes (highlighted in red below) when that relay is energized that makes that light come on. The relay should unlatch when the game resets. Try manually tripping it and see if the light switches to "1 Can Play" or whatever it says specifically. If it does, there might be a misadjustment on the Reset relay that's keeping it from unlatching automatically or maybe the coil that trips it isn't working? In any case, I'd start with the 2nd Coin Relay and work out from there.

2nd coin relay energized makes 2 can play light come on.png2nd coin relay energized makes 2 can play light come on.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoeNewberry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/satin-doll-every-game-starts-with-2-players?tu=JoeNewberry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.