(Topic ID: 220878)

Satin Doll - A few questions...Score motor keeps running/coil being held on.

By Mayawizard

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mayawizard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Snap1 (resized).png
IMG_20180717_113908 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180717_113916 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180717_114025 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180717_114010 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_20180711_114846 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Screenshot_20180710-170724 (resized).png
satin doll (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi all.

I have a satin doll that has a few issues. When power is on the score motor keeps spinning. I can go in back and manually put the ball to player 1 and GI comes on and flippers and all targets work even scoring works fine.....but that score motor keeps spinning.

Another issue is that the credit reel is gunked up so I know I need to clean that up.

And probably my biggest concern is the stepper unit on the underside of the playfield. There is a coil that is being held and started smelling and looks burnt from previous use ( still works). See the photo for the coil in question.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out......excited to see this up and running......needs repairs and repainting too but want to get it working first. Will post progress once I figure out this site. Lol.

satin doll (resized).jpgsatin doll (resized).jpg

Screenshot_20180710-170724 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180710-170724 (resized).png

#2 5 years ago

First things first. Don't leave the machine powered on for long while that stepper coil is being held.
Do the disk and wipers match this Bonus unit picture from the manual?

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

HowardR Thank you for the response. I have another EM game but don't know too much about them. I'm not sure I get what you mean? Do you mean......do the wipers line up with the picture (IE: is the spacing between the wipers and the disk pads the same as the above diagram.) Also .....is this the bonus multiplier? I will check to see if they correspond when I get home! Thanks much.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Mayawizard:

Do you mean......do the wipers line up with the picture

Yes exactly, and I expect the 17 wires connected to the disk will be in the same pattern too.

#5 5 years ago

I found it and even figured out the way the points work. Yay. However still no idea why that solenoid is engaged. heres a picture though. Thanks very much in advance for all your help.

IMG_20180711_114846 (resized).jpgIMG_20180711_114846 (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

Now that we know it's the Bonus Unit step up coil, if the Advance relay is locked on, one of these 6 switches is probably stuck closed.

#7 5 years ago

Ok.....so I should look to see if either of those leaf switches needs to be fixed and be set to normally open? Also, I can find the EOS switch. for the stepper unit, but will the other switch be labeled ( 5 ) or is there a way to find out where that switch is?

#8 5 years ago

I think they're these but check the wire colors to be sure.

#9 5 years ago

Awesome. I'd love to become less reliable on others for these kinds of questions, do you have any recommendations for how to get good at reading schematics or how to troubleshoot these.....more than just experience and time. Also.....how were you able to narrow it down to those 2 possible switches? Thanks so much again for all your help.....it is greatly appreciated.

#10 5 years ago

I'd love to take credit for narrowing it down to those 2 switches but in reality I was trying to communicate that it could have been any of the 5.

There's a lot of information on the internet. Here are some guides that I can recommend.

http://tuukan.fliput.net/emkytkis_en.html
www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Mayawizard:

. . . do you have any recommendations for how to get good at reading schematics or how to troubleshoot these. . .

I like havepinwilltravel on youtube.

Especially I like his Pinball Torture Test series where he introduces a problem and then troubleshoots it in the game and then reviews the schematic to explain why:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5ZsQkzymZZ_InKOA6f_PZxnm1mhPhp4t

He also has some basic EM intro videos.

If you like more of a textbook approach, I like this document from Williams which is basic enough as to apply to any EM game, any EM manufacturer. At the end they cover schematics and troubleshooting with schematics:
https://archive.org/details/introductiontocoinoperatedamusementgames

#12 5 years ago

All right.......I've checked all of the rollover switches and they are all N.O. I then adjusted the end of stroke switch for the bonus step up to N.C. it was wide open....I think. I'll add a picture of how it looks now after the adjust (lowest left switch on the picture of the bonus stepper up). I followed the EOS of the bonus up to relay #1 on the schematic and checked that.....but honestly.... I'm not sure what its set as. I've added the photos best as I can......I may need to draw a schematic of it to help make sense. ALSO....I might not have mentioned....The bonus stepper up coil ONLY stays stuck on once the bonus is done calculating ( I can see all of the lights counting down the scores when the machine is on). Once that is done.....the coil engages and the score motor continues to cycle. Thanks all again in advance.

IMG_20180717_113908 (resized).jpgIMG_20180717_113908 (resized).jpgIMG_20180717_113916 (resized).jpgIMG_20180717_113916 (resized).jpgIMG_20180717_114010 (resized).jpgIMG_20180717_114010 (resized).jpgIMG_20180717_114025 (resized).jpgIMG_20180717_114025 (resized).jpg

#13 5 years ago

I may have figured this out by using the manual. See the photo below. I will try to follow the leads from the 2 & 3 junction on the bonus stepper to CAM Switch 6A and then use the schematic to try and figure out the correct way to set that.

If this is a nonsense idea for a solution please let me know, but I am fairly excited about finding this all on my own.

Thanks again to everyone who has been helping me....after this its on to that score motor.

Snap1 (resized).pngSnap1 (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/satin-doll and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.