Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180606_150133 (resized).jpg
cab-l-1 (resized).jpg
20180529_170608 (resized).jpg
20180529_130012 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I will be finishing the painting of my Laguna Beach...soon. I had to made a new bottom and coin door end for the cabinet. Then after sanding and prepping the cases, I painted them with bonding primmer. Two coats with a light 220 grit sanding between. I made my own patterns using three layers of tissue paper and will be cutting out stencils. My plan is to paint the sand, then blue, white and finally red. I have searched the web for examples to follow for colors (example attached). Thanks Terry for the tip on the blue.

The sand is a yellow with white, red, and what looks like a mud brown speckling. This is not like the black speckling or webbing that I have seen directions for here at Pinside. Here is an image taken from my machine showing the sand. Someone along the way painted over the sand with blue. This image was taken from under the head. The top of the head had the same color/pattern along with many cigarette burns. I will be using a Kemper Spatter Brush (google it). Has anyone else tried to replicate this sand on a beach themed machine?

20180529_130012 (resized).jpg20180529_130012 (resized).jpg

20180529_170608 (resized).jpg20180529_170608 (resized).jpg

cab-l-1 (resized).jpgcab-l-1 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

that kind of paint looks like Zolatone.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for the terminology (Zolatone). I started a search and found that othere companies make similar products. I am not sure I want that many speckles. Other beach motif bingos I have seen just use a single color for the sand. What was Bally's original thought on the beach sand?

#4 5 years ago

Bally used Zolatone paints on some of their games from woodrail flippers (and perhaps older?) to bingos and on.

Zolatone is a heavily textured paint - the effect is pretty neat, especially if your cab has scrapes - it keeps the eye from lingering much better than standard speckle or webbing.

The company that makes the paint is still in business: http://zolatone.com/

#5 5 years ago

This must have been one of those machines. While prepping the cabinets, I discovered this splatter under all the colors.

What color is the sand on the beach? On Florida beaches the sand is white, on Carolina beaches the sand is tan, and on some Hawaiian beaches the sand is black. Because I lived on a southern California beach for many years, I will be trying to make it look like the sand on Laguna beach.

I checked on the Zolatone. For the amount that I need, and the color I was looking to duplicate it would eat all my restoration budget.

#6 5 years ago

Frank, I know some have used the color
"Straw Flower"(satin finish) for the sand.
Terry K

#7 5 years ago

Back from the paint store:

Disclaimer - My wife helped with all these colors. I have a color deficiency. She says it is going to look great.

For the sand, I decided to go with an orange based white (White Blush OR-W01) and then will spatter it with Yellow (Extreme Yellow P260-7), Red (100MPH Red P170-7), and brown (Oxford Street N270-4). I'll let you see how it came out after the spattering is complete. The orange based white is noticeably different than the white that I will be using.

The head will have the sand painted first followed by the blue, white and then red. The cabinet will be painted blue, then the sand, white and finally the red. I have practiced the spattering and think I have figured out a technique that will produce a fine and even spatter. I also get it all over my shoes.

If it wasn't fun...I wouldn't be doing it.

#8 5 years ago

And so the education continues...

Here is what the sand on Laguna Beach looks like. Well, my Laguna Beach anyway. I painted the base coat with a roller and the splattered the colors with a wire brush. Something I learned in the process: Not all paint, even if new, has the same thickness. The splattering effect depends on how thin or thick the paint is. After learning this, I adjusted my technique and didn't try to adjust the viscosity of the paint.

Note: I painted the blue background/base then masked it before doing the sand. Splattering added texture that I didn't want under the blue (the base for all other stenciling)

20180606_150133 (resized).jpg20180606_150133 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sand-on-the-laguna-beach?hl=baldtwit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.