54 days ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 52 days ago by indy5mike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 9.54.53 AM (resized).png
    lovein11 (resized).jpg

#1 54 days ago

I have a question for anyone knowledgeable about San Francisco. I will be going there in a couple months to meet my new family. Finally found my father after 62 years thanks to ancestry.com. In addition to an 83 year old father i have 4 sisters and a brother. I was telling my new younger brother that one of the things i want to do is go to Haight and also to Free Gold Watch to play pinball? He is trying to talk me out of going to Haight/Ashbury due to the problems of the neighborhood. He grew up and lives in a city called Los Altos Hills and i get the impression that is a nice place but I am wondering if the Haight is really that bad or is he just used to better neighborhoods? I have never been afraid of neighborhoods and am wondering if i really shouldn't go? Also any other good pinball places in San Francisco? Thanks for any info!

#2 54 days ago

It’s still a nice neighborhood but it has a lot of millionaires and baby strollers and Teslas so be careful. I operate lots of the machines at Free Gold Watch and I don’t have to do that — I have an awesome, busy, real job in SF. I do it because it’s the greatest place to play pinball on the planet. It’s a welcoming community within a welcoming community. Say hi if you see me in a machine!

#3 54 days ago

Boy, his perception of Haight is much different from yours! Thanks

#4 54 days ago

if youre going to san francisco
    be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
    summertime will be a love-in there
    lovein11 (resized).jpg

#5 54 days ago

Of course!

Quoted from greenhornet:

if youre going to san francisco
    be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
    [quoted image]

#6 54 days ago

I love Free Gold Watch. You will too. I go there whenever I'm in the City with some time to spare. The surrounding neighborhood is perfectly fine- young couples, dinks, some urban wealthy.
    A few blocks away is your Haight- Ashbury. I've driven through there a lot, but never had the urge to walk around. More eclectic, kinda artsy, maybe trying too hard to live up to its former self. But I don't see dangerous, especially at 2 in the afternoon.

#7 54 days ago

We stayed in an airBnB there last year, a couple of blocks of Haight. On the fringes of Haight St for a couple of blocks there are a bunch of people with their pet dogs and no home (or toilet) but even around them we never felt unsafe. Everywhere else is very gentrified.

Free gold watch is great.

So don't worry about Haight-Ashbury. If you want to freak your new brother out, suggest meeting him at Mission /16th St BART station.

#8 53 days ago

I've never felt unsafe in that area. Los Altos hills is *the* most expensive area to
    live in the SF Bay area so suspect his judgement is a bit jaded.

Some things to do in SF: Musee Mechanique on Fishermans warf. Pins and
    arcade games but far more interesting are the nickelodeons. Just behind
    that is the USS Pampanita which is a WWII submarine. Wandering around
    China Town and exploring the food and shops is a blast.

Have a great time. SF is a great city to walk around in. Golden Gate park
    is one of the best in the country IMO.
    Steve

#9 53 days ago
    Quoted from indy5mike:

I have a question for anyone knowledgeable about San Francisco. I will be going there in a couple months to meet my new family. Finally found my father after 62 years thanks to ancestry.com. In addition to an 83 year old father i have 4 sisters and a brother. I was telling my new younger brother that one of the things i want to do is go to Haight and also to Free Gold Watch to play pinball? He is trying to talk me out of going to Haight/Ashbury due to the problems of the neighborhood. He grew up and lives in a city called Los Altos Hills and i get the impression that is a nice place but I am wondering if the Haight is really that bad or is he just used to better neighborhoods? I have never been afraid of neighborhoods and am wondering if i really shouldn't go? Also any other good pinball places in San Francisco? Thanks for any info!

Your brand new kid brother don't get out much.

Pretty sure last time I was at the Haight they had a GAP.

Certainly a lot of scary dirty shady hippies peddling their addictive wares! There's a Ben & Jerry's store for instance!!!

#10 53 days ago

How long are you going to be in SF? Where are you staying?

Not sure a 50+yo whom you have never met, who lives in a wealthy town 30 miles from SF and thinks Haight St is dangerous is going to make the best city tour guide. There are much worse neighborhoods in Indianapolis. The worst thing we encountered there were Faux-Hippies, (who looked like they got their outfits from Abercrombie complete with new Birkenstocks and the latest iphones) but still felt the urge to beg for change.

IMHO SF needs to be explored on foot. The city has one of the easiest to navigate bus/trolley systems, we purchased the 7-day unlimited MUNI passes and they worked great. I also put 50 miles on my fitbit in 5 days without even trying - not a lot of fat people in SF

#11 53 days ago
    Quoted from zarco:

... Musee Mechanique on Fishermans warf..

This is a must-see arcade/museum

#12 53 days ago

San Francisco is great. Just watch your step:

https://www.openthebooks.com/map/?Map=32504&MapType=Pin&Zip=94103

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 9.54.53 AM (resized).png
    #13 52 days ago

Thank you to everyone for the information!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 319.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    € 9.10
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 209.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside