4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by btw75
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hey Guys....looks like I will be relocating to San Antonio late summer/early fall.

Whats the Pinball scene like in San Antonio?

I will be bringing TAF, TZ, CFTBL, FH, Met Pro, and TBL with me. Any leagues going on, places to play etc...?

#2 4 years ago

Time to drive to Austin! I really haven't seen much of anything going on in San Antonio. We're down there once in a while but haven't ever been able to find any machines. There are a few sales on craigslist in the area, though, so someone's around there.

Really, though - do it. It's about an hour drive-ish from downtown San Antonio to downtown Austin. If you're in a hurry Pinballz Kingdom in Buda is closer. Buffalo Billiards and Pinballz in North Central Austin are the places to hit up.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Time to drive to Austin! It's about an hour drive-ish from downtown San Antonio to downtown Austin.

I drive from Houston every couple of months for my fix. Pinballz has a ton of games.

#4 4 years ago

There's hardly even anything on CL most of the time. I check it frequently but never find anything there.

We got a 400 buck Dragon on DFW today though that doesn't boot? lol...

#5 4 years ago

thanks for the replies guys...looks like we will be in the northern area of San Antonio (wife will be working at Randolph) so a run to Austin would definitely be in the game. I thought I read somewhere that the speed limit from San Antonio to Austin is 80 mph or something like that....

Looking forward to hitting Texas....have only been there once but super excited...Next year I will definitely be at TPF...

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Adios:

I drive from Houston every couple of months for my fix. Pinballz has a ton of games.

True, I make the drive from Dallas but have found lately that Pinballz has fallen down on the maintenance on a lot of their machines.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

I thought I read somewhere that the speed limit from San Antonio to Austin is 80 mph or something like that...

The limit's *only* 75. Take that as you will.

I'm from NY, and state roads top out at 55? there.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

The limit's *only* 75. Take that as you will.
    I'm from NY, and state roads top out at 55? there.

nice....it appears the time it will take me to make it from SA to Austin is almost the same amount of time of my current commute to work.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from TxJay:

True, I make the drive from Dallas but have found lately that Pinballz has fallen down on the maintenance on a lot of their machines.

Yes. I have stopped playing 90's titles because of this. I'll pretty much only play recent Sterns.

Shadow has had serious issues the last several times I've played (hangups on one of the ramps; phantom slam tilts; randomly ejecting multiple balls then losing track of how many should be in play).

CV reset on me last time I played it.

GnR sent multiple balls into the shooter lane which caused all kinds of problems during the game.

Whitewater is constantly getting the ball stuck on the upper playfield in the seam between the ramp and the playfield. No way to get it out without tilting.

Addams Family and TOTAN have given me problems usually as well.

LOTR is usually not 100% either, but the rest of the newer Sterns are usually solid.

#10 4 years ago

welcome to Tejas amigo

there is a plethora of pins here

#11 4 years ago

an operator tells me that he has a Metallica at Showdown in San Marcos.

other than that, much of the pin map databases look out of date for San Antonio.

#12 4 years ago

Pinballz does have issues with some of the machines. Most get fixed sooner or later if they get any play and people report the issues. Where else are you going to go that has 60 or more machines in good playing condition or better? Be sure to tell the floor staff about the issues and make sure they actually record it.

Don't play the iron man they just got in right now though. Broken switches on both ramps, monger stuck below the play field, rollovers not working, whiplash targets not working, drone standups not working. Bad news bears.

And yeah! Welcome to Texas!

#13 4 years ago

wait, you are bringing a TBL WITH YOU??

#14 4 years ago

Along with Pinballz, there is a pinball league here in Austin, Bat City Pinball League if you are into tournament play. http://batcitypinball.com/
    Yes, TPF is the best around for pinball shows in Texas and definitely worth a visit in 2016 . This years show was a good show for sure...

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brandon:

Along with Pinballz, there is a pinball league here in Austin, Bat City Pinball League if you are into tournament play. http://batcitypinball.com/

At this point, it seems that the Bat City league at Buffalo Billiards will continue to happen on Sundays for the next season, we're working out organizational kinks presently. If you're up for driving an hour each way, burningman, then I'd stay tuned for when the next season will happen.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from briandols:

wait, you are bringing a TBL WITH YOU??

yes....and when we get settled I will make it a point to have a pin party at the house...

Quoted from briandols:

At this point, it seems that the Bat City league at Buffalo Billiards will continue to happen on Sundays for the next season, we're working out organizational kinks presently. If you're up for driving an hour each way, burningman, then I'd stay tuned for when the next season will happen.

Will do....the current league I play in is 50 minutes away so not that bad....I suck as a player, just cool to be hanging out with other pinheads..

And thanks everyone for the welcome...looking forward to eating some frijoles!

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

I thought I read somewhere that the speed limit from San Antonio to Austin is 80 mph or something like that....

The toll road between San Antonio and South Austin is 85. I-35 fluctuates from 55-75 depending on what part you are on.

If you can relocate early Fall you'll be better off. Give you some time to get accustom (as much as anyone can) to the heat down here before hitting that summer heat. They can get bad sometimes. On the bright side, no snow to deal with in the winter so it can be a trade off.

Pay close attention to the parts of San Antonio you move to. Like every city, there are some real nice places and some really bad places.

Quoted from Law:

Don't play the Iron Man they just got in right now though. Broken switches on both ramps, monger stuck below the play field, rollovers not working, whiplash targets not working, drone standups not working. Bad news bears.

That IM will never play right. I know the guy that bought that game here in Round Rock. It was a complete mess. Nothing worked for more than a couple of games before something else broke. It was a flood victim that was put back together but a lot of corners were cut in putting it back together that prevent it from being a stable pin. My friend sold it to someone in Dallas and that person sold it to Darin at Pinballz (not sure whom that person is though). I was thinking of buying it and restoring the mechanical parts and putting it in a charity location since it already has a rough cab and PF (Dell Children's Hospital for instance) but I just didn't have the scratch needed to pick it up when my friend was looking to move it along.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

That IM will never play right. I know the guy that bought that game here in Round Rock. It was a complete mess. Nothing worked for more than a couple of games before something else broke. It was a flood victim that was put back together but a lot of corners were cut in putting it back together that prevent it from being a stable pin. My friend sold it to someone in Dallas and that person sold it to Darin at Pinballz (not sure whom that person is though). I was thinking of buying it and restoring the mechanical parts and putting it in a charity location since it already has a rough cab and PF (Dell Children's Hospital for instance) but I just didn't have the scratch needed to pick it up when my friend was looking to move it along

Good to know. I'd seen that machine listed somewhere six months ago, craigslist maybe. Darren is the owner of Pinballz. The playfield is definitely warped and results in a lot of airballs.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Pay close attention to the parts of San Antonio you move to. Like every city, there are some real nice places and some really bad places.

I used to live in Converse, just outside Randolph. I enjoyed my time there a ton. Never had any scuffles, but then again I am a complete bad ass.

That's the Austin side of town anyways, so an occasional drive up 35 shouldn't be a problem

1 month later
    #20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Good to know. I'd seen that machine listed somewhere six months ago, craigslist maybe. Darren is the owner of Pinballz. The playfield is definitely warped and results in a lot of airballs.

It was my machine and was a Fricking disaster. I sold it for next to nothing with full disclosure, my understanding is that Darren was informed by his seller.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    £ 49.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,700.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Flipper Room
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    ScottyMods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside