IMG_1599 (resized).JPG
IMG_1584 (resized).JPG
IMG_1574 (resized).JPG
IMG_1571 (resized).JPG
IMG_1568 (resized).JPG
IMG_1566 (resized).JPG
IMG_1567 (resized).JPG
IMG_1561 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm considering putting up my sample TZ for sale, trying to get an idea of what it should go for. I've tried to roughly keep it as intended when the prototype was developed - yes there are toy mods but they are integrated fairly well, imo. Any more "permanent" changes (e.g. Door flashers, 3rd magnet) are modification to keep the spirit of the game as originally designed.

I've got the following going on:
- Sample playfield with different colored inserts, original 3rd magnet hole factory drilled, other various minor differences
- 3rd magnet installed, including optos
- 4 independently controlled door flashers (as originally intended by Pat)
- Factory translite with star shapes cut out
- Miniplayfield does not say "Flip Here"
- Original screenprinted cab with 3 holes drilled (legs have only 2 holes)
- original Powerball
- Prototype screenprinted backbox
- boards are clean, matching serials (sound board is included but not shown in pics)
- playfield has original B/W Mylar (which is why it appears some inserts are ghosting)

Couple issues:
- Cab has some fading in the reds; very dark overall
- 2 screws have slightly tapped the PF from below (screws too long)
- yes it could use some cleanup in spots

Mods:
- Robby the robot
- low profile mini PF switches
- rocket toy
- car toy
- slot machine mod which spins when ball passes
- twilight zone street sign (metal cut "twilight zone")
- resin sculpted Piano mod
- enhanced clock lighting (LED all around clock face)
- starlight back wall mod (EL lit background)

There are a couple spots where the cab could use some work, gouges and whatnot. Edges are in pretty good shape. What do you think?

#2 7 years ago

IMG_1546 (resized).JPGIMG_1546 (resized).JPG
IMG_1548 (resized).JPGIMG_1548 (resized).JPG
IMG_1547 (resized).JPGIMG_1547 (resized).JPG
IMG_1550 (resized).JPGIMG_1550 (resized).JPG
IMG_1551 (resized).JPGIMG_1551 (resized).JPG
IMG_1556 (resized).JPGIMG_1556 (resized).JPG
IMG_1557 (resized).JPGIMG_1557 (resized).JPG
IMG_1561 (resized).JPGIMG_1561 (resized).JPG
IMG_1567 (resized).JPGIMG_1567 (resized).JPG
IMG_1566 (resized).JPGIMG_1566 (resized).JPG
IMG_1568 (resized).JPGIMG_1568 (resized).JPG
IMG_1571 (resized).JPGIMG_1571 (resized).JPG
IMG_1574 (resized).JPGIMG_1574 (resized).JPG
IMG_1584 (resized).JPGIMG_1584 (resized).JPG
IMG_1599 (resized).JPGIMG_1599 (resized).JPG
IMG_1600 (resized).JPGIMG_1600 (resized).JPG
IMG_1601 (resized).JPGIMG_1601 (resized).JPG
IMG_1613 (resized).JPGIMG_1613 (resized).JPG
IMG_1620 (resized).JPGIMG_1620 (resized).JPG
IMG_1614 (resized).JPGIMG_1614 (resized).JPG

Alligator clip is for the behind-Rod multicolor led mod on the backbox

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Won't give my opinoin on price, but question -
Can you grab a close-up shot of your right 'SPIRAL' insert?
Also, for those interested -
This game has a proto Door Panel board. It has the cutouts for BOTH upper and lower flashers. The last one was installed three games before my game was assembled. (And yeah, that's a sour point for me. )

Yep, you bet. Thought I had one on my phone but looks like I'll have to take one.

Forgot to post one of the 3rd magnet

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The translites came both versions on the sample. I think they just grabbed what ever stack was handy.
I think the stars cut out looks better.
LTG : )

Me too! It's subtle but a nice touch

Backboard pic

IMG_1572 (resized).JPGIMG_1572 (resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago

Coyote here's the spiral pic - I think this is the decal. Man that was tough to take! I'll do another one with the glass off if you can't see what you wanted

IMG_1625 (resized).JPGIMG_1625 (resized).JPG

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yup! Okay - I wanted to see if yours had been scraped off and then had a decal applied.
(For those worried - ALL early samples had this - it's not a 'defect' in that it's bad ownership or mistreatment of the game. These early sample playfields were shipped with that insert reading 'GUMBALL', and the Gumball sign indicating the Spiral when lit.)
Edit to add: Jeez, i wish I could take your game apart. Just to compare mine and yours - help me figure out if certain dimples in mine are 'mistakes' or done over the whole sample run. Or strange screw-holes are because I moved something in the past or somethign was moved during assembly..

Yeah this is the only thing i wish was "original" (you know what I mean) , but it's got to be exceedingly rare to find one that still says Gumball

Happy to take pictures if you want to look at specific areas. That "spiral" insert was really hard to get a good angle on but I'm sure I can get some choice shots

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Catches the ball, like the other two magnets!
Seriously, in short, it:
(1) During 'The Spiral' mode, it will stop the third ball shot up the Spiral.
(2) Most importantly, when the game knows the powerball is in the gumball machine, and Multiball is started with two or more balls at the autofire kicker, starting multiball will cause the game to catch all three balls on the spiral magnets, and then release them all at once.
Original design had the above, plus the ball toss for balls still in the lock. However, Ted Estes found that the reliability of tossing the balls like that was too difficult and too prone to failure.
Had he been able to get it working, it would have looked like this:
» YouTube video

It really is cool when you get all three and they release simultaneously. I suck at hitting the magnets while in that mode but when you get it, it's awesome!

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I'll send a PM with the areas. If you can't no biggie - be nice to clarify some things.

Cool, I got it. Might take me a few days but I will look

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Basically what he is saying, is taking a regular game and putting on/swapping in sample run parts and pieces doesn't make it a sample run game.
Not saying the OP did this, but first read of his post did leave the impression that some sample game features were added to this game after it left the factory.

This is true - the game is well documented as having had changes made later-than-usual in the run, due to cost savings. ALL games which make use of the "sample" features required some modifications after leaving the factory -so while my comment may have been confusing, there is no unit at all which ever included all these features and actually left the factory as a working game. There are several well-documented articles and threads here on PS which are very thorough in terms of identifying changes to the game, and how to (help) spot a genuine vs one modded to appear as though it is.

In the case of my post, I suppose my comment about the spirit of Pat Lawlor's original design was targeted toward the audience who already understood this, and whose opinion might carry more weight, simply as a result of having been better informed.

TZ did have lots of parts left over after the true "sample" run, and therefore an official production run game might still possibly contain the leftover stock from the sample designs - at this point though, the term "sample" is behind used as a shorthand to denote the feature set, not necessarily a Truth about whether or not B/W said On That Day, "henceforth all games are no longer samples, they are all Production units!" I don't believe we know for certain what that day was.

So this post is asking "here is a game made from the very early part of the TZ lifecycle, with all original parts as intended by the game's designer, with changes made to suit that original design before cost-cutting was invoked. What value might you place on this example?"

Better?

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

Your original post was just fine for me! It's a beautiful game. Some people just like to be picky for some reason.

Thanks! I absolutely love this game and reeeeealllly am having a hard time with the decision. We have space for only a few games and right now I'm over the limit, so something has to go: the DW that my son loves? The MB I am in the middle of restoring? The CFTBL that is my favorite game at the moment? Arrgh..

#36 7 years ago

Thanks guys - I am enjoying revisiting why I bought this game in the first place - maybe the answer is buy a bigger house?

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Really tough decision man..... ive had mine for a while and its absolutely beautiful , but i dont play it as much as i sld since ive had it longer than any pin in my collection. However when i think about letting it go due to room issues i just play it and realize what a amazing pin it is to have in a collection and end up letting something else go. I know id never find a mint huo one again for what i paid and i doubt u wld find another like yours. So id really think it over before making a decision. Any way u can make more room? Thats what i end up doing lol..... gl with your decision as its not a easy one.

That is exactly what's happening with me. I don't play it for long stretches, and then every time I go back to it, I go "Why am I not playing this ALL the time?!" I have considered moving it into my office to make more space, but I am also wanting to buy another TAF... and Alien... and Houdini... This is a problem.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I feel the same way. Also, getting a tz dialed in is no easy task, you can chase your tail a long time. I know I could get one back, but having a great playing and looking game, even if I don't play it as much, has a lot of value to me. I toyed with the idea of selling mine not long ago, but quickly changed my mind and sold IJ and JM instead.

Exactly. Mine was dialed in pretty well from the out set - just lucky, I guess. Lately it's occasionally having some weird brick shots I didn't used to have trouble with (hey the problem can't be *me* can it?) but it's held up really well. Wow, you sold an IJ? I thought that was another all-time classic that doesn't leave collections often.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

To me, IJ was a fairly slow and clunky game. It is a great game, though, dont get me wrong. In the end, I sold it and a JM and bought a WOZ rr with cash left over. That cash didn't last as I used it and the sale of a whirlwind to get a 2007 SM. Overall, I am very happy with the lineup change. I sold a taf a few years ago and regret it a lot, it wasn't the nicest game, but I do miss it. From that, I know I would miss TZ.

This all sounds sooooo familiar... I would like to get at least one game with longer ball times (TH or LoTR I suppose) eventually.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

To keep it really short, since it's somewhat off-topic -
No, unfortuantely. Cameron got in touch with me via a mutual friend (litz on here), looking for tech-savvy CV owners to test the home ROM. After that, Ted knew I had an early sample with the magnet installed, and got my name from Cameron, and then asked me to test his 9.4H.
interestingly, at the end of testing the 9.4H, Ted contacted me and one other beta person as he was selling one of his *prototype* games, and wanted me to make an offer. I made one - $2400. It was all I could afford, as I was JUST out of college. The other guy bid 'slightly higher' and got it.
To this day, I wonder who that was, and where that game is.
Back on topic. .. Er, I guess?

Longer ball times don't bother me as much - but I AM a fan of longer GAME times. So on my TZ, Replay, Special all give out extra balls. And yes, my game is still set on 3 ball.

Oops, that's what I meant - longer game times! Mine is set to give out extra balls relatively freely after you hit 400,000,000 (If I recall correctly), but sometimes even getting up to that score is tough!

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I think it would also have to depend on the buyer - some buyers (like myself) would willingly pay more for a sample or proto.
I'm positive there are collectors/players out there that wouldn't give a hootenanny wither the game they get is general production one or not..
However, I am impressed about how the price has increased on their own..

Definitely - I think these games that have differences such as the sample TZ are more suited to the pinball historian, so to speak. Is there another game with such big differences ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sample-tz-price-check?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.