You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150321_125753_638.jpg
image-4.jpg
IMG_2169.jpg
#1 8 years ago

That Cowpoke I picked up clearly has an S after the serial number by the coin door. Also the large metal roto cover is plain no paint. What does this do to the value given the rarity of this example? First CP I've seen without the painted metal plate. (Thanks in advance .)

#2 8 years ago

i had a buckaroo without the paint on the cover, it was just removed. most likely yours is the same. you can get the decal from the guys from down under.
there was almost NO difference in the sample game and the production run.
unless the sample game has some major difference than the production run sample games have no added value than bragging rights

#3 8 years ago

Thanks I see your point. 28$ for the painted metal plate and might as well get new roto stickers in the same shipment. My Diamond Jack stickers were high quality and had the corners trimmed to go around the rivets . Pinrescue to the rescue again

#4 8 years ago

Some 50's and 60's sample games do have notable differences from the production runs (more so on the 50's), but by the 70's those differences were pretty much gone. (Volley might be one exception, with a very different playfield art package.)

King of Diamonds has some differences between sample and production, which came after Cow Poke, so it might be worth a careful comparison to a production playfield to see if your Cow Poke shows any. Another way to check is against the flyer, as the flyer photo is often of the sample game.

#5 8 years ago

My buddy has a Cowpoke sample too, no art on the cover...

#6 8 years ago

Thanks Ken. Maybe I'll polish the plate and see how it comes out . Your buddy that needs s glass would drool over the one in this game it's a 9+ with only 2- 3 tiny flecks in non lighted areas

#7 8 years ago

The Cow Poke I'm restoring for someone has the same plain metal cover also. Mine is not a sample. The new silk screened cover from the boys down under makes all the difference in the world in the looks of the game IMO. Just installed my new Pinball Rescue cover a few days ago.

#8 8 years ago

The Cow Poke flyer shows the plate with no artwork on it. And so does the Buckaroo flyer.

Since these are both June 1965 games, that suggests that the artwork didn't appear on the plate until later in production. So some games apparently were made with plain plates.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

The Cow Poke I'm restoring for someone has the same plain metal cover also. Mine is not a sample. The new silk screened cover from the boys down under makes all the difference in the world in the looks of the game IMO. Just installed my new Pinball Rescue cover a few days ago.

The argument; "make it look nicer" or "keep it sample". i favor make it look nicer, its only the snobs that think it must be pristine/holy.

I know Im going to hell, I put red start buttons on AAB games.

Ken

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

The argument; "make it look nicer" or "keep it sample". i favor make it look nicer, its only the snobs that think it must be pristine/holy.
I know Im going to hell, I put red start buttons on AAB games.
Ken

If we all did it the same it would be boring. If it's reversible back to original that's always good too.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

If we all did it the same it would be boring. If it's reversible back to original that's always good too.

Not like a drill a hole in the door... but try and find a AAB door these days

#13 8 years ago

The original playfield design, (Flipper Cowboy), had no artwork on the center piece throughout the entire production run. A lot of guys probably don't know there's artwork on the Cowpoke center.

#14 8 years ago

The Roto Pool that I'm restoring has a misprint on the PF and pool balls instead of O's on the BG in the word pool.

TedIMG_2169.JPGIMG_2169.JPG

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Some 50's and 60's sample games do have notable differences from the production runs (more so on the 50's), but by the 70's those differences were pretty much gone. (Volley might be one exception, with a very different playfield art package.)
King of Diamonds has some differences between sample and production, which came after Cow Poke, so it might be worth a careful comparison to a production playfield to see if your Cow Poke shows any. Another way to check is against the flyer, as the flyer photo is often of the sample game.

the flyers were printed in advance of the game being produced and some last minute changes were made that wasn't on the flyer that the samples had.
then there were those changes after the samples were made. then there were the mid production changes very rare.
I had a few sample games over the years most did not have any differences, I had a BaB sample with the text in the out lane arrow,
like dirt said any differences were almost no existent by the 70's
my blue note sample has a noticeable difference on the pf. the guys face is half blue. I believe the rock star sample is the sample.
I believe Volley was the biggest departure from sample to production that gottlieb ever had.

image-4.jpgimage-4.jpg

IMG_20150321_125753_638.jpgIMG_20150321_125753_638.jpg

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I believe Volley was the biggest departure from sample to production that gottlieb ever had.

Ice Revue's removal of 2 outlanes in favor of rebounds is also a huge departure. During the days of the Pinball Trader, Bob Herbison mentioned some playfield target scoring changes on a few woodrails. Hopefully he can chime in here. Roto Pool was pointed out to me by George Pins, (upstate NY), that also has outlane change in scoring between sample and production, or maybe simply an absence of the "100K" playfield notation. I don't recall.

Just wondering.............I've seen the black fill-in on the shooting lane on Rock Star-Blue Note. Is this a sample-production inclusion? I like it!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Boatcat:

Just wondering.............I've seen the black fill-in on the shooting lane on Rock Star-Blue Note. Is this a sample-production inclusion? I like it!

the games with those painted ball lanes were made from particle board not the laminated plywood were the bare would had grain. they were used on small runs on a few games in the mid 70's
I know jack to open, volley, big hit and blue note/rock star

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I know jack to open, volley, big hit and blue note/rock star

I've also seen a Totem (SS) with the MDF Playfield. There is a Blue Note here in Edmonton with it as well.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from novaguy:

The Roto Pool that I'm restoring has a misprint on the PF and pool balls instead of O's on the BG in the word pool.
TedIMG_2169.JPG

I had to really look to see the misprint.

At least it would be fairly easy to just change that 'P' into an 'R' (if you wanted to) I probably would myself.

But there are probably collectors who would prefer that it just be left alone.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

I had to really look to see the misprint.
At least it would be fairly easy to just change that 'P' into an 'R' (if you wanted to) I probably would myself.
But there are probably collectors who would prefer that it just be left alone.

that was a screening error most likely was on every one produced.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

that was a screening error most likely was on every one produced.

looked at ipdb and looks like only sample had the ppoduct error

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sample-game-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.