Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200729_223948 (resized).jpg
20200729_223943 (resized).jpg
20200729_223953 (resized).jpg
20200729_224002 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello, im very new to pinballs and I have a Sample Earthshaker #49 that I am trying to finish a restore job. I was wondering if the cabinet is painted. I know the later models they used decals. The reason I ask is because in the lettering earthshaker on the side it looks printed and on the top box it looks painted. Am I seeing something wrong? I want to fix by touching up issues and not resanding and repainting everything. Thanks for any info.

20200729_223943 (resized).jpg20200729_223943 (resized).jpg20200729_224002 (resized).jpg20200729_224002 (resized).jpg20200729_223948 (resized).jpg20200729_223948 (resized).jpg20200729_223953 (resized).jpg20200729_223953 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Pictures might be helpful.

#3 3 years ago

Thank you, I added pictures

#4 3 years ago

It's screen printed (with paint). The technique used in the letters to give the appearance of gradient colors is called halftone dithering.

If a system 11 or WPC game has decals (from a printer), then it was probably restored by someone (but your game has the original screen printed artwork, not decals).

It wasn't until the early 2000's where cabinet decals started being used on standard pinball machines. Baby Pac-Man games and Pin2000 game swap kits used decals, but those were special cases. There may be other examples, but those are just two off the top of my head

#5 3 years ago

Thank you, sounds like the only way to restore then is to paint over the dithering.

#6 3 years ago

I wouldn't recommend it. It would be impossible to reproduce the effect by hand.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SA-568

Cabinet decals are available.

#7 3 years ago

HEP is repainting one in his thread, check it out!

#8 3 years ago

I believe HEP painted the ES cabinet because decals aren’t available. Marco is out of stock.

#9 3 years ago

I'll not reproduce the effect by hand but rather have a normal fade. I do not want a decal because this is a sample earthshaker and I want to keep it as original as possible. Thanks for all the knowledge and advice. I'll check out HEPs. I'll most likely have to custom paint. Luckily only one side of the cabinet is messy and the front just faded.

#10 3 years ago

Back in the day, both sample and production decals were available. Sorry, but that’s of little help to you today.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Back in the day, both sample and production decals were available. Sorry, but that’s of little help to you today.

Haha just my luck. Oh well. Ill just take my time and paint it right.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from vstarbiker:

Haha just my luck. Oh well. Ill just take my time and paint it right.

You should try posting an ad on here.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.games.pinball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sample-earthshaker-cabinet-color?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.