2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Shogun00
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi All,
    We have several Stern S.A.M. pins with DMD issue's (Indiana Jones, Pirates and 24).
    I tried to replace them with a third-party LED DMD but it doesn't work, nothing on the screen at all. This DMD works great on WPC or Whitestar systems.
    Any suggestions or tips why the S.A.M. is special ?

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

WPC and Whitestar use High Voltage to energize the DMD. If the new DMD is working on a WPC machine, it’s obviously a high voltage DMD. Not sure, but I think SAM machines were sometimes using 12vdc to energize the DMD. Could be that you need the low power led version DMD for the SAM machines.

#3 2 years ago

MMGB you are correct about the high voltage, this dmd needs a separate low voltage power supply but accepts the signals correct on a WPC, whitestar, Gottlieb sys3,... but NOT on a S.A.M. system running already LED DMD. This is what puzzles me.
    I have found that on S.A.M.'s with a Xpin LED DMD there is a small pcb between the flatcable and the MPU, perhaps someone can tell me why this was needed?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMario:

MMGB you are correct about the high voltage, this dmd needs a separate low voltage power supply but accepts the signals correct on a WPC, whitestar, Gottlieb sys3,... but NOT on a S.A.M. system running already LED DMD. This is what puzzles me.
    I have found that on S.A.M.'s with a Xpin LED DMD there is a small pcb between the flatcable and the MPU, perhaps someone can tell me why this was needed?

Sounds like you have a High Voltage version of the LED DMD, which contains components that converts the 65 volt circuit (found on older machines) to 5 volts. The problem here is that the SAM only has a 12 volt circuit (max) for the DMD. It's not enough voltage to power those high voltage components.

You will either need to buy a low voltage version of the LED DMD or buy a bridge board (the one you saw on Xpin). That bridge board bypasses the high voltage converting process and converts a 12 volt circuit to 5 volts instead.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.