Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Coindork
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 months ago

So I recently sold a Pistol Poker I had personally come across, but hadn’t owned for any period of time. To me, a 2 year novice in the hobby, the playfield looked really good, no discoloration, or paint issue. The cabinet also looked to be very nice for its age (sure a couple of nominal touch ups, but not much). Game played great! It was shipped by a company that the buyer set up.

Long story short, this guy is now suing me. Claiming its aesthetic condition was misrepresented! This is my first sale on pinside, and via shipping!

WTH. The game was exactly as i perceived it, and they only made 200 of them, so perfection without a complete restoration is impossible.

Any advice?

#2 7 months ago

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Quoted from Kjones0427:

Long story short, this guy is now suing me.

Is he just shaking a fist and threatening he's going to sue, or have you actually been served?

If you have actually been served, there's not much we can do here. It would be time to call a lawyer and refrain from posting any further details (which can potentially be used against you later). The one thing you can do is document everything, and preserve any and all correspondence, photos, and video footage.

From what I understand, there is usually a ticking clock for a legal response to a civil lawsuit, and that response will need to be filed with the court in a timely manner--even if it's just to request an extension for the deadline until you get things in order.

#3 7 months ago

The person you sold the game to is insane.

#4 7 months ago

Your ad had plenty of pics, buyer could easily see condition. No grounds for any suit.

Please tell us who the buyer was so we can put them in our shitlists.

#5 7 months ago
    Quoted from Kjones0427:

So I recently sold a Pistol Poker I had personally come across, but hadn’t owned for any period of time. To me, a 2 year novice in the hobby, the playfield looked really good, no discoloration, or paint issue. The cabinet also looked to be very nice for its age (sure a couple of nominal touch ups, but not much). Game played great! It was shipped by a company that the buyer set up.
    Long story short, this guy is now suing me. Claiming its aesthetic condition was misrepresented! This is my first sale on pinside, and via shipping!
    WTH. The game was exactly as i perceived it, and they only made 200 of them, so perfection without a complete restoration is impossible.
    Any advice?

Tell him to send it back to you, and pound sand.
    The playfield is dirty as hell, for sure. But otherwise the game looks great. I think prices are way too high for an incompletely coded game but to each his own.

#6 7 months ago

Helpful hint: In the future when listing a game for sale, don't provide a rating on a scale of 1-10. Let the buyer determine that on their own so as to not enter a potential disagreement about condition.

#7 7 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Helpful hint: In the future when listing a game for sale, don't provide a rating on a scale of 1-10. Let the buyer determine that on their own

Good practice for sure. To the OP, I sincerely doubt that those “ratings” would actually hold water in a court of law. However it’d be enjoyable watching lawyers argue over “Playfield 9.5” in court to establish a legal basis for the numerical values lol

#8 7 months ago

I’ve been disappointed plenty of times, but I’ve never complained as it’s on me for blindly paying and having a game shipped.

Buyer sounds like a nightmare for sure, unbelievable for a $3700 game. Agreed on letting us know who they are to avoid future deals… actually, after reading this I’m over shipping so it’s moot.

Sorry!

#9 7 months ago

This is why I refuse to ship. Its way too easy for buyer to be unhappy and then everyone is stuck. When I buy anything with shipping I inherently assume that short of the game falling apart it is on me to carefully look over photos, ask questions, and then accept whatever arrives. Good luck resolving this.

#10 7 months ago
    Quoted from Kjones0427:

To me, a 2 year novice in the hobby, the playfield looked really good, no discoloration, or paint issue

This is not your best argument. How you perceived it is subjective to you. How you represented it is the issue. 9/10 and 9.5/10 is a high standard. The low production run is irrelevant to the condition.

Your better argument is that the listing says “Used. Shows wear.” And the pictures show the condition. Caveat emptor.

If this is an actual lawsuit, it would likely be in small claims court and, if you properly and timely file an Answer (forms available on court’s website) they will probably have a hearing to settle dispute. Just offer a refund if buyer ships game back. Maybe split the cost of shipping.

I agree with ForceFlow be more careful how you word your Ads in future. I believe Buyer’s perception and yours were different.

#11 7 months ago

My God, what has this hobby turned into. Look at the pics, talk to the owner and go from there. Even if he "feels" that he overpaid by a few hundred bucks, suck it up and move on.

#12 7 months ago

Suing ??? Geez! I just don't know what to say. There isn't anything we can do on here, but ...wow! That's ridiculous!

I wish you the best.

Fwiw, I seriously doubt you have anything to be concerned about. Making a big claim like that is pretty fruitless for the buyer. Lawyers won't take that small of a case and it is far more trouble than it is worth.

#13 7 months ago

You are not being sued. No way any papers could have been served in the short amount of time since sale was consummated. I doubt you will be served, you apparently did not get asking price, so that is ammo for you, to contend, that customer was satisfied with negotiated price.

#14 7 months ago

This just sucks for both parties. I've been on the receiving end of an unhappy buyer due to perception of a misrepresented game. It sucks as no matter how many pics you take anytime you describe condition there are subjective differences and not everything shows clearly on photos. I try to avoid shipping and prefer local sale due to anxiety I get until the buyer confirms they're happy with the machine. I hate it personally and avoid it mostly.

#15 7 months ago

Caveat emptor

#16 7 months ago

This is why I always try selling in person and have the buyer play the game. Especially with first time buyers that can be a pain afterwards sometimes

#17 7 months ago

I call BULLSHIT! OPs been on pinside for a year and only has two posts. Get the fuck outta here with this nonsense. Call a lawyer bruh.

#18 7 months ago

teeth on the curb

#19 7 months ago

I assume he’s out of state if you shipped it?
    What state is he threatening to sue you in?
    If he lives in another state that you never plan to visit, let him sue you and don’t worry about it. .
    The judgement will be good in that state and he will never collect on it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!