12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Jediturtle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo(11).JPG
    photo(10).JPG

#1 12 years ago

Ok I pulled the board so that I can do the male pin side of my J11 connector and look what I've found. Please someone tell me this is not the worst you've seen....pretty please.

Also there is a green wire jumped across the back. Is it supposed to be there? I have a feelign the answer is no. <sigh>

Honda I hope this isn't the worst you've seen.

photo(10).JPGphoto(10).JPG photo(11).JPGphoto(11).JPG

#2 12 years ago

That's actually not terrible. They heated it a little too much with the iron and melted the PCB board. They could have used some flux and alcohol to clean it afterwards but it's not terrible. The green wire is a normal fix too. They did that because the trace between those two points is gone.

#3 12 years ago

Take your DMM and check your traces.
    That green wire, as Robert said, is fine.
    Not even close to the worst I have seen.
    Chances are the solder pads under those globs are damaged.
    De solder it all and start over if your having issues.

Again not a huge deal just check for continuity.

#4 12 years ago

Think I'm going to send the board out. If you have a recommendation for a board repair person please let me know. I live in AZ so anyone in the western half of the US would be preferred.

#5 12 years ago

The only two I've used and trust is Clive at CoinopCauldron and Rob Anthony (www.lockwhenlit.com). I wouldn't worry about location as most board repair guys have at least a couple of weeks backlog, so you're only losing an additional day or two for USPS.

I've also heard Ed Cheung is good (http://www.edcheung.com)

If you really want someone local, try:

Kris Bliznick
    www.firebirdpinball.com

They just opened up this year, but Kris has been around pins awhile.

#6 12 years ago

Really not that bad. Someone didn't clean up after soldering, but a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol and a stiff bristled brush (something a little stronger than a toothbrush, the ones I use came from Frys Electronics I believe) would make quick work out of it.

A jumper wire isn't unusual, a trace was damaged on the interconnect board, and that was the way to repair it.

For repairs, I'd suggest Rob Anthony at Lock When Lit - http://www.lockwhenlit.com or Kris at Firebird Pinball in Phoenix - http://firebirdpinball.com/

#7 12 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll start making the calls next week. I put everything back together, except for the crispy connector so my friends can play the machine tonight! I'd be in trouble if it were out of service on a party night as I only have one pin!

#8 12 years ago

Like others have said...that's not bad at all. Some of my early attempts at board work looked the same or worse...heck some of my later attempts did too! And they all worked anyway! That jumper wire is no big deal either...just jumping a broken trace I'm sure. No sweat as long as it works. Only thing that could bite you (assuming it works) is if you have a picky buyers someday if you ever sell it. Some guys are anal about that. If it worries you, send it to Rob and he'll fix you up all pretty like.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/saga-continues-burnt-gi-connector-heres-pics-of-the-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.