(Topic ID: 20186)

Safety Glass - Wow that !@$#% Really Does Explode!

By charles4400

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by MK6PIN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Photo Oct 02, 7 52 29 PM.jpg
    PB_all_(smsh).JPG
    shatter2.jpg
    shatter1.jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago

It has happened a few times to me including once while in my hand and once a few seconds after I put it down on a wood floor. Always sounds like a gun shot. ( maybe a 22 caliber ).
    Allen

#52 9 years ago

I had some guys cleaning a location about twice per week on about 20 machines and about once per week a sheet would break just by placing it on the ground. After about 6 weeks I had enough of buying new glass and said that if another one broke they were paying for it. 18 months later not one more piece of broken glass. Thankfully they never broke one in a machine.

I can also attest to the weird strength of this stuff. There are times for fun I will actually throw a piece into the dumpster from about 10 feet away, hard and it never breaks.

#53 9 years ago

Two very very important takeaways here for every pin owner :

1) NEVER set the game down on concrete or tile, and NEVER lean it up against concrete or cinder block.

ALWAYS set it on carpet or some thing soft (like a towel) and lean up against wood/drywall only (or use another towel if wall is concrete/cinder block

2) NEVER knock the edges ... always handle the glass by the edges, moving it slowly and carefully.

It's possible to break it ON a game merely by tapping the edge on the metal glass channel covers, or touching the bottom edge with the hand protector (what we call the lockdown bar).

BOOM!

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from _litz:

Two very very important takeaways here for every pin owner :
    1) NEVER set the game down on concrete or tile, and NEVER lean it up against concrete or cinder block.
    ALWAYS set it on carpet or some thing soft (like a towel) and lean up against wood/drywall only (or use another towel if wall is concrete/cinder block
    2) NEVER knock the edges ... always handle the glass by the edges, moving it slowly and carefully.
    It's possible to break it ON a game merely by tapping the edge on the metal glass channel covers, or touching the bottom edge with the hand protector (what we call the lockdown bar).
    BOOM!

Just reading this thread makes me feel queasy..........

Hope you meant "never set the glass (not game) down on concrete or tile" all my games sit on tile and concrete floors.

I've nudged my games a time or two (or much more of course), and certainly have "tapped" the sides and rails (never glass) after the machine has decided to be particularly evil. To what degree do you consider the "danger zone" (besides the guys dad who flipped his over in another, funny thread on here...)?

Think I might just stare at mine for awhile tonight before playing....

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safety-glass-wow-that-really-does-explode/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.