Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0210B373-91D2-4E79-9579-869147688E45 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Hello All

I created a post about a year ago about trying to get an old '71 Firecracker pinball working (a pinball owned my late friend who passed away far to early) I'm clueless on pinball etc. but looking to try to do it myself.

Fast forward a year and I'm FINALLY about to get started on this project (I have little don't ask ha)

Stupid question hopefully - is it safe to work on these old pinballs? I'm assuming as long as it's unplugged I'm ok but I wanted to check as I wasn't sure if some of the parts held significant electrical charge like old TV's etc. - last thing I want to electrocute myself.

Appreciate the thoughts and any overall suggestions you have.

The machine isn't in terrible shape, but it got shipped across the country and is definitely beat up. Just hoping to do a good cleaning, swap out fuses, bulbs etc. and get it playing (not looking for a museum piece)

#2 5 years ago

They are safe to work on if they are unplugged. Very few EMs have capacitors in them. Once it's unplugged it's dead. On some EMs, when it's plugged in, there could be live voltage near the transformer or power switch.

Enjoy!

#3 5 years ago

If your game doesn't have a properly grounded plug you'll want to install one and ground braid. Instructions at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

#4 5 years ago

Midge - congrats on taking on this project and especially to honor your friend. Hard to explain the satisfaction and enjoyment awaiting you as you bring it to life. If you have not done this already -- go to www.pinrepair.com and scroll down to the section on "1930s to 1978 EM (Electro-Mechanical) Pinball Repair Guide"
There is a gold mine of information and instructions in there -- it has been my "bible" for EM repairs for nearly 20 years. There is also a section on Restoration - making the games pretty again.
And of course the great guys on Pinside are an outstanding resource of advice

#5 5 years ago

Another safety precaution I recommend is plug in your machine into a "Ground Fault" protected outlet, power strip, or breaker.

#6 5 years ago

and dont work in bare feet on a concrete floor while tbe game is on.

#7 5 years ago

Thank you all for the confirmation and recommendations. I'll try to document some of it and share on the board.

I have been lurking throughout the 9 months and enjoy this site, marveling at all your setups machines. I'm not a pinball head - but can see how you could become that.

I do hope to get a new machine next year potentially for the kids and actively watching the Willy Wonka and Jaws threads (thinking those themes may drive me drive me there)

#8 5 years ago

At some point, you will need to test the functions with the game powered on. At that point, it's good to remember that Bally used FIFTY volts for the coil voltage.

Plan to attend Pintastic New England in nearby Sturbridge this coming June to observe some repairs being done on games of this vintage. You might also get some tips on how to change the theme, if you want to make it into your own Willy Wonka game.
.................David Marston

#9 5 years ago

Thanks again for the feedback - finally took the first step, plugged it in swapped out the fuses and turned it on.

At first nothing.

Press the left flipper and all the lights pop on (or those w non burnt out bulbs) if I hit the various targets etc they are all registering on the score dial, chiming etc. Left flipper also moves - great I thought!

Try the right flipper - It immediately blows the fuse and everything cuts off (lights etc) switch out fuse and I’m back to where I was.

I realize I should try to hit start button (it’s wired to free play) hit that and hear what sounds like a mechanical click near the back is the machine and nothing - lights continue to work but all targets, bumpers and flippes don’t work.

Any words of advice or thoughts.

Also does anybody have or know a person who will do EM pinball repair on site. I will try to do some but think a lot of this is over my head ha and I should new myself to cleaning, bulb and rubber replacement etc.

0210B373-91D2-4E79-9579-869147688E45 (resized).jpeg0210B373-91D2-4E79-9579-869147688E45 (resized).jpeg
#10 5 years ago

at least two issues here - let’s start with blowing the fuse when hitting the right flipper. Look at the coil for that flipper- is it burned? Does the flipper bat move freely when the machine is off? The only reason the fuse would blow is because there’s a short in the wiring or the coil is shorted.

When you hit the start button, does the motor continually run? If so, then your issue is in the startup sequence. I forget which thread it is, but there is a great write up on troubleshooting EM start sequence issues.

If the motor is not running, but some things are working, then there’s likely an issue with steppers.

Let us know what you find.

Work on one problem at a time,

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

When you hit the start button, does the motor continually run? If so, then your issue is in the startup sequence. I forget which thread it is, but there is a great write up on troubleshooting EM start sequence issues.

Part 3g has start up sequence info.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#start

#12 5 years ago

Thanks - sadly since I hit the start button the first time I can’t seem to even replicate the original behavior I had with the left flipper (I.e. no targets score, no chimes etc. I have lights and that’s it)

Left flipper turns on lights, right is doing nothing (not even blowing the fuse) and start appears to do nothing (since the first time it reset the score real)

I’ll continue this in my original thread around the specific machine firecracker to not combine the specific machine questions with my original question on this one around safety...

#13 5 years ago

Are there any credits on the machine ? ... little square window on backglass.

Read through that pinrepair site. lots of great info. yes overwhelming at first but a very rewarding hobby !!!

will shoot you a PM

#14 5 years ago

One minor note on safety. When working inside game plugged in or w power on I wear those inexpensive flex fabric gloves with vinyl / rubber coating. Not entirely shock proof, but know they have kept me from getting “bitten” at least once.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

and dont work in bare feet on a concrete floor while tbe game is on.

This^^^^ Don't ask me how I know....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safety-electricity-question?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.