(Topic ID: 177967)

Safest way to ship translites?

By jfh

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Anyone have recommendations for best way to ship translites to avoid damage/crushing?

Flat box? Tube? Triangular mailer? Thickness?

My first thought was a large diameter tube, but the ones I've seen don't seem very sturdy. I really don't want hard/impossible to replace translites getting damaged in shipping.

#2 7 years ago

I've always gotten them in heavy duty cardboard tubes. But if that makes you nervous, put it in a tube and put the tube in a box. You'd need a nuclear war to damage it then...

#3 7 years ago

When I was selling posters. I used PVC pipe cut to length of poster. Wrapped in paper to protect and slid into the tube. PVC caps on the ends. Duct tape and then followed up with clear tape.

About $15 for material plus postage. But it was post office proof. Well worth it for expensive items.

LTG : )

#4 7 years ago

Cardboard tubes are fine. Just get the big tubes and not the small tubes. If you roll up the translite too tight it will get damaged/cracked. I know from experience.

#5 7 years ago

or ask a local sign shop or printer for a free tube. they will likely have many from vinyl use.

#6 7 years ago

The safest is by armed courier, handcuffed to the metal container that holds the translite.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The safest is by armed courier, handcuffed to the metal container that holds the translite.

That would probably drive up the shipping cost just a bit ...

#8 7 years ago

Keep in mind--some translites may be somewhat fragile and could crack and split when you attempt to roll them up.

[edit]: Ha, just saw this was mentioned above.

#9 7 years ago

I use tubes and get a piece of paper the size of the translite and roll it up with it to add a layer of protection between the wraps. These look familiar to what I use:

http://m.staples.com/Staples-White-Mailing-Tubes-1-Pack/product_SS467860

#10 7 years ago

IMO, make sure the tube is longer than the translite so the end caps don't damage the translite when they are inserted. Had it happen but thankfully it was an inexpensive Sega translite I was putting up on the wall anyway.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safest-way-to-ship-translites and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.