(Topic ID: 38927)

Safest way to sell a pinball machine out of state payment shipping etc.

By stephenshane237

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by haiderdj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I am selling a high end TZ to somoeone that lives out of state, what is the best way to make sure that it is safe for both parties, me to get payment and him to make sure he gets the merchadise. Buyer wants to pay with credit card or paypal and ship with NAVL any suggestions ?

#2 11 years ago

100% tell him to send a check. Wait at least 10 working days or longer to make sure check clears. Then when check clears let merchandise go.

Cash is King. Anything else is not worth the headache.

When navl gets there take plenty of pictures of machine and of them packing and loading getting as much detail as possible.

I have bought and sold this way. No worries. Everyone was happy.

#3 11 years ago

thats what I was thinking as well told him no paypal no credit card, but he believes it will be safer for him this way buying online

#4 11 years ago

Wire transfer to your bank account.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from stephenshane237:

thats what I was thinking as well told him no paypal no credit card, but he believes it will be safer for him this way buying online

Not safest for you. You are your own priority #1. Not worth headaches and stress.

#6 11 years ago

Both standard PayPal and credit card are reversible and fees are taken out.

The best way to make sure it is safe for both parties is to get references and find out who you are dealing with. Same for him.

If you can get him to send as a gift in PayPal, there are no fees and it is not reversible. Or go check as maddog suggested but leave plenty of time for the bank to clear it.

#7 11 years ago

I get it but I am not sure if I would be comfortable sending a check for over 7k to someone over the net if it was me buying it that is. I guess I will have him check this thread out for an explanation of why no paypal it is a fellow pinsider on here that is the buyer

#8 11 years ago

I would not send a check for that much. However, I would not expect somebody to send me a 7K game with a reversible transaction. I am a cash in hand or you take the risk, sure you could get jacked when you show up for the game always risk. However, just think of how silly you would feel to be out a TZ with a nigerian check in hand.

#9 11 years ago

If you're selling a run of the mill game, it's easier to use paypal and not worry about a reversal. If you're selling a high end game, there is a much greater chance that a reasonable buyer might feel the game was misrepresented.

#10 11 years ago

Again, you are protecting yourself, not him.

Have him send a check, wait the full 2 weeks for it to clear (assuming its from a US bank - one month for overseas).

You can be royally screwed by Paypal.

If he really insists on protection, then https://www.escrow.com/ is the only real escrow service on the net. Escrow protects both of you = payment method is good, item is good.

#11 11 years ago

I would not send a check for that much. However, I would not expect somebody to send me a 7K game with a reversible transaction. I am a cash in hand or you take the risk, sure you could get jacked when you show up for the game always risk. However, just think of how silly you would feel to be out a TZ with a nigerian check in hand.

I agree with you on both sides so how would you handle the transaction ?

#12 11 years ago

US Postal money orders are the best way to go. They're insured and you can verify them for authenticity at the PO. Both parties are safe this way.

Quoted from vid1900:

You can be royally screwed by Paypal.

Yep. PayPal is the worst thing a SELLER can do.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

US Postal money orders are the best way to go. They're insured and you can verify them for authenticity at the PO. Both parties are safe this way.

PMOs are good, but they max out at $1000. So you've got to buy a pile of them.

Also, many POs don't have $1,000 in cash on hand (let alone $7k), so you can verify the MOs at the PO, but then you have to deposit them in your bank anyway.

#14 11 years ago

Make him send a check... I've done it for that much here and have sold 2 for less here... paypal and credit card, no way... it really helps to get to know the person.. does he post here on pin side.. can you see where he's sold or bought from others by check?
    In my case ever one was a poster here for a while...call the person... and once both parties have confirmed they are legit (you have his address)... then the rest is trust..which I'm happy to say has been a very good experience for me on pinside..
    After that contact Michelle at NAVL.. STI has always done a great job for me when handling the machine and properly packing it...
    If your current party doesn't want to deal with that.. he can pick it up.. or you can move on to the next customer..

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from stephenshane237:

I agree with you on both sides so how would you handle the transaction ?

The last game I sold was to a pinsider - his posts were substantial enough to not worry about his reputation, however at the end of the day. I took a small deposit for the game and made him drive to pick it up. I could have found another buyer closer - he was the one who wanted the game. I wanted fast cash for sure to fund the next game - but at the end of the day wanted to protect myself. Protect yourself and find another buyer if they can't handle your reasonable but risky for him rules.

#16 11 years ago

Bank checks are fine. When your bank informs you that the payment has cleared-then send the pin. Michelle @ STI is a good contact.

#17 11 years ago

Bank Checks can also be easily verified with a few simple steps.

Step 01. Buyer sends the seller a personal check.

Step 02. Seller adds a unique symbol, message or picture on the front of the check when it is deposited into his account.

Step 03. Buyer can send the seller the digital image of the cleared check. The digital image will include the unique symbol, message or picture on the front.

Step 04: The buyer confirms the unique symbol, message or picture. This will confirm that the buyer's check was good and processed by buyer's bank.

Step 05: Seller works with Buyer to ship, pickup or delivery the machine.

When cash is not possible, personal check is the next best option in my opinion.

If any of these steps offend your sensibility, then do not purchase a game that requires shipping (IMO).

Marcus

#18 11 years ago

Bank transfer is the easiest. I opened a savings account for this purpose only. That way I don't have to give my "real" account number to someone I don't know. If the buyer is uncomfortable with paying for the machine, he can always come get it himself.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

Bank checks are fine. When your bank informs you that the payment has cleared-then send the pin. Michelle @ STI is a good contact.

I use certified bank checks all the time and that seems to be the best method for me when I cannot pickup in person with cash. The money is pulled from your funds immediately so it cannot bounce like a personal check.

#20 11 years ago

Why is Paypal bad for seller? All my machines I have sold out of state was made via a PayPal gift. My understanding that if buyer sends via gift, they can't get money back. Am I correct? What about buying a NIB machine from a seller asking for a 1000$ deposit check? Reason I ask is that I am purchasing a NIB tron from this February release from Gap. Already have mailed him my deposit via personal check, as he doesn't take PayPal or credit cards.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from vader1979:

Why is Paypal bad for seller? All my machines I have sold out of state was made via a PayPal gift. My understanding that if buyer sends via gift, they can't get money back. Am I correct?

Paypal is fine. I have used it a bunch of times for transactions with pinheads I trust and never had any issues. You hear a few horror stories about Paypal and everyone thinks it's the devil now. If sending as a gift via a credit card then there is a chance the person can still file a dispute with the credit card company to get the money refunded.

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from vader1979:

What about buying a NIB machine from a seller asking for a 1000$ deposit check? Reason I ask is that I am purchasing a NIB tron from this February release from Gap. Already have mailed him my deposit via personal check, as he doesn't take PayPal or credit cards.

GAP probably wants a check so there is no fees. He has a business, so even if you send as a "gift" he is still likely going to have fees.

#23 11 years ago

I don't like Paypal for large payments to me. I much prefer cash as it is more liquid. If I want to withdraw my Paypal money, they limit me to $500 per month unless I want to give them my personal info like bank numbers and such (which I don't) so it takes four months to take out something like $2000. Yuck.

#24 11 years ago

When buying, I send certified checks directly from my bank. I use NAVL to ship to me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safest-way-to-sell-a-pinball-machine-out-of-state-payment-shipping-etc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.