20230724_214859 (resized).jpg
20230724_214908 (resized).jpg
20230724_214917 (resized).jpg
20230724_214926 (resized).jpg
SC.jpg
sc01 (resized).jpg
76CED567-D3F5-426D-95C3-126ABD33A46C (resized).jpeg
Hammered (resized).jpg
There are 680 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
#101 7 years ago

Planetary Pinball just listed a bunch of SC tokens on their website.

1 week later
#102 7 years ago

New LEDs for the backbox.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#103 7 years ago

I just picked one up, it was a static display in a museum, so looks in very good shape, and came with wings and tokens.

It's apparently the prototype version with red PCBs. I also noticed it has no roll-over switches, it's all proximity/ball sensors. Is this how all the prototypes were? It doesn't seem to be standard for all SC as I saw a few pics with traditional switches.

I've only played a few times so far, has a few small issues to clean up. I'm looking forward to load the tubes and and see if it all works, has the original token coin slot too. I've never played assault the vault before...

#104 7 years ago

Just picked up a safe cracker. Great game.

One issue I've noticed on my game is the ball lock kicker (bottom of right ramp) tends to misfire (~weak hits), requiring usually two or three hits to get the ball up to the ball lock at the top. Anyone run into this before? Any luck fixing this by adjusting the sensor or realigning the kicker?

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Just picked up a safe cracker. Great game.
One issue I've noticed on my game is the ball lock kicker (bottom of right ramp) tends to misfire (~weak hits), requiring usually two or three hits to get the ball up to the ball lock at the top. Anyone run into this before? Any luck fixing this by adjusting the sensor or realigning the kicker?

Yep. There is an easy fix for this.

The problem is that the ramp is too wide where the ball kicks up to the lock. When the kicker kicks, the ball isn't guided up smoothly as it just has too much space to move and rattles around. I took a piece of self adhesive foam stripping (1/4" thick) and placed it on the left side of the ramp between the kicker and where the crossover ramp enters. In the picture below you can see where it was placed. This effectively narrows that part of the ramp keeping the ball going straight. Works 100% on mine.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I just picked one up, it was a static display in a museum, so looks in very good shape, and came with wings and tokens.
It's apparently the prototype version with red PCBs. I also noticed it has no roll-over switches, it's all proximity/ball sensors. Is this how all the prototypes were? It doesn't seem to be standard for all SC as I saw a few pics with traditional switches.
I've only played a few times so far, has a few small issues to clean up. I'm looking forward to load the tubes and and see if it all works, has the original token coin slot too. I've never played assault the vault before...

Nice score! Would be interested in seeing the differences. Mine is in pieces in totes and the cabinet is bare. If you have issues and want some local help feel free to PM me.

#107 7 years ago

How come yours is in pieces? It looked good at the NWPAS, and playing it helped move it up my wish list. I happened to get lucky and find a good one. Thanks for the offer! Would be fun to check out each others collections some time!

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Yep. There is an easy fix for this.
The problem is that the ramp is too wide where the ball kicks up to the lock. When the kicker kicks, the ball isn't guided up smoothly as it just has too much space to move and rattles around. I took a piece of self adhesive foam stripping (1/4" thick) and placed it on the left side of the ramp between the kicker and where the crossover ramp enters. In the picture below you can see where it was placed. This effectively narrows that part of the ramp keeping the ball going straight. Works 100% on mine.

Awesome. Thanks for the detailed description and pic! I'll give it a go and report back

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

How come yours is in pieces? It looked good at the NWPAS, and playing it helped move it up my wish list.

It was all original (not a bad thing and in great condition) but didn't look like it had been given a good clean in a while. It also had some minor issues (probably not easily noticed) but I am fussy about performance and playability. I also wanted to put LEDs in it. The playfield has some clear coat left on it but I wanted to add some more and make it outlast me! I'm particularly bugged by working on a machine and having black fingers after doing so.

#110 7 years ago

Interesting question for ya'll..

Has anyone figured out the why/when/how to getting the silly face from the guard during board game's "bribe" spot?

#111 7 years ago

I saw there's a couple new members that posted on a old thread I started two years ago lol. Here's some info in case you haven't seen it.

If you don't have wood wings, or if you do and you have stock hinges. We have very few sets of adjustable wing hinges left and very few wood wings them selves. The only wood we have left have minor imperfections that will get covered by the decals. We also have the ramp coil cover mod in stock.
Check out Pinnovators.com to see our safe cracker mods..

And tiger law. Your consecutive serial number Sc twin is still sitting in the same house that I plan on going back for still

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I saw there's a couple new members that posted on a old thread I started two years ago lol. Here's some info in case you haven't seen it.

The newer thread was closed.

#113 7 years ago

A friend brought his 10-year-old daughter over to my house the other day. I told her if she was really lucky she could win a souvenir token on SC. She not only broke into the vault on her first game, but coincidentally started token multiball and ended up winning not one, but three tokens.

#114 7 years ago

I've been getting to know my Safe Cracker and noticed another small issue. The "insert" (or what is it actually, a piece of wood?) under the 3 in the upper drop-lanes has risen, enough to catch a slow ball sometimes. Can I heat it up like a plastic insert to push it down? Does it require a lot of force, will I need to clamp it? Anyone had to do this?

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

A friend brought his 10-year-old daughter over to my house the other day. I told her if she was really lucky she could win a souvenir token on SC. She not only broke into the vault on her first game, but coincidentally started token multiball and ended up winning not one, but three tokens.

Did you let her keep all three or did you make her play assault the vault? Ha!

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

New LEDs for the backbox.

Fantastic color selection!

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I've been getting to know my Safe Cracker and noticed another small issue. The "insert" (or what is it actually, a piece of wood?) under the 3 in the upper drop-lanes has risen, enough to catch a slow ball sometimes. Can I heat it up like a plastic insert to push it down? Does it require a lot of force, will I need to clamp it? Anyone had to do this?

Sorry. I got the PM you sent. I spent the better part of the middle of the day trying to fix that stupid HFT 5lb vibratory tumbler. I bought the 18lb one and it's FAR better built IMHO. That 5lb is a P-O-S. But I digress ...

Those are reed switches. Mine is also raised but not enough to catch a ball. I haven't determined what course of action I'll take but it'll likely level with the clear coat I intend to put on the playfield.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Did you let her keep all three or did you make her play assault the vault? Ha!

I would have let her keep all three, but she loved the game so much that she put two of them back in to play "Assault the Vault" twice.

#119 7 years ago

How can the reed switches be removed? What is between the switch and the playfield? Is it plastic or wood? I want to adjust the "insert" under the "3" in the drop lanes. It's sticking up too much.

1 week later
#120 7 years ago

Are SC cabs screen printed?

Pumped to have joined the club two weeks ago & feel like this game's worthy of a full restore. I've stripped the game & was ready to hit the cabinet with the heat gun to remove the original decals...but on closer inspection it appears the art's been screened directly on.

Was B/W screening cabs to the very end? I'm certain I'm not just looking at an amazingly well applied decal...

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from carbonROD:

Are SC cabs screen printed?
Pumped to have joined the club two weeks ago & feel like this game's worthy of a full restore. I've stripped the game & was ready to hit the cabinet with the heat gun to remove the original decals...but on closer inspection it appears the art's been screened directly on.
Was B/W screening cabs to the very end? I'm certain I'm not just looking at an amazingly well applied decal...

All WMS games were direct screen printed with the exception of a few games such as MB and CC. There are some exceptions (mainly backboxes) having decals applied to them for STTNG and RS. Early MB games did not use decals. You can do what you want, but I never remove original artwork and replace with a decal unless it was originally a decal.

#122 7 years ago

Well we sold out of the 50 safe cracker wing kits with adjustable hinges... I was thinking of doing another run of ten sets... anyone interested that might need them?

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

All WMS games were direct screen printed with the exception of a few games such as MB and CC. You can do what you want, but I never remove original artwork and replace with a decal unless it was originally a decal.

Thanks @schudel5. I tend to agree with you - I like games to retain their story & an obvious part of that is their original cab. But this one's going to require some re glueing, clamping & filling. Anyway, appreciate the info.
Cheers. Rod

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

All WMS games were direct screen printed with the exception of a few games such as MB and CC. There are some exceptions (mainly backboxes) having decals applied to them for STTNG and RS. Early MB games did not use decals. You can do what you want, but I never remove original artwork and replace with a decal unless it was originally a decal.

Wrong, the cabinets had white vinyl attached then screen printed on, the same vinyl next gen uses.

Printed onto a white decal before printing, or next gen or screen print on the same vinyl, same in the end.

Its still a decal on the game

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Well we sold out of the 50 safe cracker wing kits with adjustable hinges... I was thinking of doing another run of ten sets... anyone interested that might need them?

Where can I get the wing decals currently?

#127 7 years ago

thanks Ed!

Anyone know of any US based suppliers?

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

How can the reed switches be removed? What is between the switch and the playfield? Is it plastic or wood? I want to adjust the "insert" under the "3" in the drop lanes. It's sticking up too much.

For anyone with similar situation, I took a closer look a couple of days ago, and indeed it appears to be a plastic insert. I heated it up and clamped it down, worked fine, perfectly level now. The switch is snapped into the insert, two prongs at diagonally opposite corners. I could wiggle it off without breaking them.

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Where can I get the wing decals currently?

We referred all our buyers to Wanye in Aussie. He still has the originals no one else I know of

1 month later
#130 7 years ago

I finally got around to make the mod I intended to do when I bought my 3D printer
I made the roof top for the bank on Safecracker to hide that ugly metal upkicker ramp.
It's based on what is shown in the dmd animation when the ball passes trough it, so it really ties into the gameplay.
Added some windows so you can see the bal go down.

For sale at http://shpws.me/NbX3

20170104_190155 (resized).jpg20170104_190155 (resized).jpg

#131 7 years ago

Does anyone have a good image of the schematic for the 48 lamp & driver board? The lamps are only getting 4v and I think the high-current diodes are bad. The look like they have been hot a million times. I'm wondering if those can be bypassed like the diodes on the power driver board...

1 month later
#132 7 years ago

Just Joined the club
Was wondering if anyone knows where to get mirrorblades or Interior Art for SC?
Thanks for any help in advance, cant seem to find any.

1 week later
#133 7 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of a Safecracker with the clear ramps? I think it sounds like it would be cool to see everything underneath, but they're not cheap and it would be good to see what the game looks like that way before popping for a set.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Does anyone have pictures of a Safecracker with the clear ramps? I think it sounds like it would be cool to see everything underneath, but they're not cheap and it would be good to see what the game looks like that way before popping for a set.

I have a set of brand new clear ramps, but I never installed them. I may one day, as I agree it would be cool to see all the artwork that is normally obscured by the red ramps.

#135 7 years ago

They just announced that ColorDMD is finally available for SC. I've been patiently waiting for them to do this game ever since I first heard about their newer LED DMD's. It also appears that the game was colorized by their "A" team, so the dots should look incredible. The only thing that concerns me is that the DMD in my game is mounted slightly too high causing the top couple of lines to be obscured. Are all SC's like this?

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The only thing that concerns me is that the DMD in my game is mounted slightly too high causing the top couple of lines to be obscured. Are all SC's like this?

Chris adressed this issue with our LED mounting bracket design. Alternate mounting instructions are available on the Safe Cracker product page that show how the mounting position of the display can lowered.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Chris adressed this issue with our LED mounting bracket design. Alternate mounting instructions are available on the Safe Cracker product page that show how the mounting position of the display can lowered.

Awesome! I just ordered one. Can't wait to get it installed.

#138 7 years ago

Just ordered my ColorDMD also.
I also have a set of clear ramps, that some day might get installed.

#139 7 years ago

I wish someone had a picture of the game with the clear ramps installed. I've been thinking about getting a set but really want to see what it looks like with them in first.

#140 7 years ago

I have a set of clear rules ramps too. Funny how none of us have them installed! LOL!

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I can't believe I missed these .... would love a set of those hinges if you do another run. If someone gas an unused set they want to sell, please PM me.

On an unrelated note, if anyone is interested in an NOS head assembly (the entire unit that pulls down in the backbox with tubes/boards/DMD etc.) I have one I'm not going to use that I'd sell.

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

On an unrelated note, if anyone is interested in an NOS head assembly (the entire unit that pulls down in the backbox with tubes/boards/DMD etc.) I have one I'm not going to use that I'd sell.

I think butch2099 was looking for the tubes. Not sure if that's still the case.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I can't believe I missed these .... would love a set of those hinges if you do another run. If someone gas an unused set they want to sell, please PM me.

I've also been wanting the hinges, so if there is a run, count me in as well.

#144 7 years ago

I just installed a ColorDMD in my SC only to discover that the firmware for the game hasn't been released yet ...

#145 7 years ago

I had one from the CV release and found that they have changed the mounting on them vs the new ones. Looks like they added a long hole for different mounting points. The originals from the CV release didn't have that. Now I have to buy another.
magicchiz

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

I had one from the CV release and found that they have changed the mounting on them vs the new ones. Looks like they added a long hole for different mounting points. The originals from the CV release didn't have that.

I'm pretty sure the elongated holes were added specifically for SC. It allows you to mount the DMD a little lower, so the top couple of lines aren't cut off when viewed from the playing position. This always annoyed me, and the new mounting position is a nice improvement. You basically get two mods for the price of one.

#147 7 years ago

Installed mine today with the alternate method. Just waiting for the firmware.

#148 7 years ago

Got mine in the mail on Thurs. I will install it this weekend.

#149 7 years ago

Me waiting on firmware to drop....

stock-photo-skeleton-in-an-office-chair-103854401 (resized).jpgstock-photo-skeleton-in-an-office-chair-103854401 (resized).jpg

#150 7 years ago

Firmware has posted. just not in store section. Go to software download page.
Magicchiz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
$ 85.00
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
There are 680 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safecracker-club-dig-up-your-coins/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.