Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-03-02 12.41.00.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Hi,

I've played safecracker a few times but never really had a chance to dig into it in any meaningful way. I'm wondering if it's worth having in a collection of say.. 10-12 machines. I'm all for having some novelty in the lineup, but these don't sound cheap at 6-7K a pop. Worth it or not?

#2 10 years ago

It's a totally different feel than other pinball machines. I do think you want to have at least 10 pins give or take before you add SC to the lineup. With that said, it's a favorite in our house, my wife in particular (so that means it stays!).

Michael

p.s. be forewarned it's a heavy sucker, gotta weigh as much as my TZ..

#3 10 years ago

It's definitely a fun game. Just like MO wrote above, it's a favorite in my house too. The women love it because the balls are timed. I am a pretty good player and enjoy it for the challenge of breaking into the vault. It's a nice game to play when I'm going 'around the collection.'

#4 10 years ago

Definitely worth it when you have about 6+ machines in your collection. It's great when you want to play pinball but want something "different". I keep a Safecracker and Spectrum around just for these occasions Of course, this is just my opinion...you should really play it some more yourself before committing to buying one. Some people can't get into it. I think taking the time to really understand the rules goes a long way, moreso than a regular pin. But the unique cabinet (and gameplay) really attracts non-pinball people. And yes, it is deceivingly heavy.

I should also mention that I currently have a spare SC, if you're up for a drive

#5 10 years ago

Great game in a larger collection. Hard to find one that is complete (wings and topper).

Two games in one (the regular game and Assault on the Vault that you play with the magic token). It's certainly a novelty pin, but one that is a lot of fun to play. Even more fun to watch someone playing when a token comes shooting out at them for the first time

It is smaller than pins of that era, but, as mentioned, heavier than it looks because of the board game assembly in the head (and weight of any tokens in the game).

#6 10 years ago

I would just like to point out there's no law that states you have to own "X" number of pinball machines before you get a Safe Cracker. I see people saying this all the time like it's one of the sacred rules to pinball collecting. The criteria should actually be: (A) Do you enjoy it? (B) Do you have the space for it?

#7 10 years ago

Awesome game if you love Lawlor style and don't take your pinballing too seriously. Lots of great fun in this package, perfect for 10+ collection

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Awesome game if you love Lawlor style and don't take your pinballing too seriously. Lots of great fun in this package, perfect for 10+ collection

Darn...still have 9 more pins to go before I even consider SC.

#9 10 years ago

Really fun game, probably one of my least played games in my collection. Really heavy as stated above and working under the play field is horrible unless you have hands the size of a baby. I agree with many of the other members that it's not a game for a small collection. It is fun when played because it is so different with the backboard and the coin rolling out when you assault the vault.

#10 10 years ago

SC is a fantastic game that is a lot deeper than most pins from the same era.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

I would just like to point out there's no law that states you have to own "X" number of pinball machines before you get a Safe Cracker. I see people saying this all the time like it's one of the sacred rules to pinball collecting. The criteria should actually be: (A) Do you enjoy it? (B) Do you have the space for it?

THere isn't a law, but novelty games like this, you don't want taking up valuable pin space if you have a smaller collection. yes they are fun to own for something different, but there are many games like this, that the novelty wears off quickly.

Orbitor 1
CHampion pub

for example. Great games and fun for what they are, due to very unique characteristics, but if you only have room for 4 games, you don't want either of these, as they will get old very very fast. that's why people state usually a 10 pin limit. I would say more like 15 pins, personally, because if you have room for 10, you only have 9 and a novelty pin, 9 isn't a lot of diversity yet.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I would say more like 15 pins, personally, because if you have room for 10, you only have 9 and a novelty pin, 9 isn't a lot of diversity yet.

Not sure I agree with that. SC is more than a one-trick pony and deeper than most novelty pins. And if you have at least 8 or 9 pins, odds are your collection is has enough variety to add a SC. 15 games is a pretty large collection and probably pushing the space boundary for most people, for some 10 is a lot.

Unless you really like the game to play it very often (and I know some who do), I agree SC isn't a good choice in a 4-5-6 game collection. But raising that bar to 15 is too high.

#13 10 years ago

Lots of reviews on SC if you search here And RGP. Here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safe-cracker-thoughts

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Not sure I agree with that. SC is more than a one-trick pony and deeper than most novelty pins.

Not much. It's a really fun machine for what it is, one I wanted for a while, but after playing a few and looking at the rules sheet more, I got the feeling it wasn't going to hold my attention long, which are comments echoed by many that have owned.

I will admit I'm a little biased against upper end priced machines that offer a less than overall depth than the norm of their time. There are few wpc95's I rate well because of this, they all seem to be somewhere between sys11s and wpc89s in depth, a backwards direction that I don't think helped things in the late 90s. Yes fun goes a long way over depth, but most feel more like $2.5k-$3k machines, and for the insane prices some of them command (I have 3), they don’t deliver for the value. Play value is not there for monetary value, as is the case for SC.

#15 10 years ago

Hey all,

Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

p.s. be forewarned it's a heavy sucker, gotta weigh as much as my TZ..

Just moved an RFM a few weeks ago. This whole "getting old" thing is getting old, man!

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

the unique cabinet (and gameplay) really attracts non-pinball people.

Giving the non-pinheads something to do is part of the appeal, I admit.

Quoted from rennervision:

I would just like to point out there's no law that states you have to own "X" number of pinball machines before you get a Safe Cracker

No but I understand the sentiment. I wouldn't mind owning a Champion's Pub, but I'd never want it in a two pin collection. It's cool for a change of pace, but it's not a core game that I'm going to play all the time.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

9 isn't a lot of diversity yet.

Which is true and also makes life tough, right? When I tell people in my life that they think I'm batsh*t crazy. The number of times I'm asked "Why do you need more than one?" or "Aren't they all the same?" is high.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Play value is not there for monetary value, as is the case for SC.

That's my concern. I'm wondering how much of SC's popularity is driven by it's playability, fun factor and uniqueness and how much by the cachet of owning something rare.

Thanks for the sage advice. I'm going to mull it over and think about what game room v2.0 is going to look like.

#16 10 years ago

If someone asks me why I have more than one, I always respond with. "why would someone have more than one nintendo cartridge?" Same principle applies. Most people I talk to have some kind of video game system, so they understand right away.

#17 10 years ago

SC is my grail. It was one of the last pins to be installed at the arcade in my hometown. My friends and I played the flippers off this game back in 1996. I know it's timed mode and novelty factor make it a so-so pin around here. But its definitely one I want, that I would trade most of my collection for the right one.

If you don't have a nostalgia hook, you might not be as attached. But if it were a full sized pin with a 3 ball mode, I think it might get more respect. It's a great original theme, with some quality animations and callouts, with a clever Pat Lawlor design.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

But if it were a full sized pin with a 3 ball mode, I think it might get more respect. It's a great original theme, with some quality animations and callouts, with a clever Pat Lawlor design.

I don't think it's that, it has a cool factor for sure being smaller, all small flippers, I just don't think it offers much after you learn the tricks to getting to the safe and winning the game. There isn't a lot else to do other than playing assault the vault.

I'm a huge 90s Lawlor fan, and respect the attempt, and given the time, some of these attempts were indeed a needed new direction. I wish there was some more side stuff happening.

All in all, in more then ten machines, I think it might be a good fit. Grrrr, now I'm talking myself into buying one that has been available around me for a while I'm awful...

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

The women love it because the balls are timed

*snicker, snicker*

Seriously though, I haven't done much in-depth gameplay on SC, but it appears to be a pretty cool game that would be nice in a collection with 5-15 machines. In a 1 or 2 pin collection, I think it would get boring quickly.

Chris Bucci did a really nice video on SC a few years ago. It's worth watching!

Derek

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

I should also mention that I currently have a spare SC, if you're up for a drive

Sent you a PM.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

That's my concern. I'm wondering how much of SC's popularity is driven by it's playability, fun factor and uniqueness and how much by the cachet of owning something rare.

I guess I can't comment on this too much because obviously there are people here that like to say they own something rare. These are often the same people that sell a game after 5 years with 75 plays on it. What was the point?

Anyway, I own a SC and it has nothing to do with feeling proud about a rare game. Bottom line is the game is fun and it is not like any other game. It's not my favorite game, but it's still damn cool. You appear to have a large and diverse collection. I would go for SC without hesitation. If it turns out you don't like the game, you don't like the game. But as far as staying power, I'm guessing you may be like me and play different games in waves. The best thing about having a large collection is I get to "rediscover" my games all the time. I get caught up playing certain games for a while and then, "Damn, I forgot how much fun ____ is!!!" Happens to me all the time and just recently with SC.

If I only had 4 games would I own SC? No. If I had to sell a handful of games out of my current collection, would one of them be SC? Hell no!

#22 10 years ago

The nice thing about the pinball hobby is that if you buy a game and don't like it, you can always resell it.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

But if it were a full sized pin with a 3 ball mode, I think it might get more respect. It's a great original theme, with some quality animations and callouts, with a clever Pat Lawlor design.

Huh? SC has several 3-ball multiballs! Assault on the vault is a really neat timed one.

I wouldn't pay what are basically MM prices for it, but if money is no object, it is unique. This is actually a great machine if you have lots of money and don't have the space for a bigger machine.

#24 10 years ago

This game was a $1100 game for years and years. Which is fine. it IS a $1100 game in terms of fun. But now that the price is usually in the 4k range (sometimes you luck out in the high 3's), there isn't enough game there anymore to justify the cost.

#25 10 years ago

...unless you're the one selling it.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This game was a $1100 game for years and years. Which is fine. it IS a $1100 game in terms of fun. But now that the price is usually in the 4k range (sometimes you luck out in the high 3's), there isn't enough game there anymore to justify the cost.

Find me a 4K Safecracker and I will whip out cash and buy it. I'd probably pay $5k no problem too. All the ones listed last year on Pinside were $7k. I passed on a $6k one the year before and have been kicking myself ever since; people want a lot of money for them and it seems the ones that have sold, have sold to people with deep pockets.

#27 10 years ago

I really enjoy the uniqueness of SC, and agree that it would not make sense to lock up so much money for it in a small collection. For $7K, I would rather have a new ST LE or for 1K more, the MMR. Buying a SC as a rarity collection thing, or as an investment is stupid, stupid, stupid.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

Buying a SC as a rarity collection thing, or as an investment is stupid, stupid, stupid.

Plenty of people love to collect odd things and this clever game is no exception.

Nothing about being a collector and wanting to own a Safecracker is "stupid". In fact, this is one of the only comments in this entire thread that is "stupid".

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Plenty of people love to collect odd things and this clever game is no exception.

Nothing about being a collector and wanting to own a Safecracker is "stupid". In fact, this is one of the only comments in this entire thread that is "stupid".

Exactly. It's one thing to argue that the game could get boring in a small collection, but calling someone "stupid" because they own one is horribly rude and judgmental. That's like saying that anyone who collects rare stamps or baseball cards is stupid. If owning something rare brings joy to a person, and they aren't spending beyond their means to obtain it, who are we to judge?

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Whoa duuuuuude, is that alf on TV and SC are 1100? They have been 3k + since 2008.

From now on people need to post a listing to have cred. One guy says 1100 and so it shall be.

Great unique pin and mine is not going anytime soon.

Quoted from BestShot31:

Buying a SC as a rarity collection thing, or as an investment is stupid, stupid, stupid.

Thanks for making sure NJ is a shining beacon of knuckleheads.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Whoa duuuuuude, is that alf on TV and SC are 1100? They have been 3k + since 2008.
From now on people need to post a listing to have cred. One guy says 1100 and so it shall be.
Great unique pin and mine is not going anytime soon.

Thanks for making sure NJ is a shining beacon of knuckleheads.

Yup, 2007 and 2008 is about right, But it was $1k game for 15 years straight. then someone got a bug in their ass and all the hype happened.

Just like Williams Joust. for 20 years you couldn't give the things away for $400 if you wanted to....then 2008, same thing happened. they shot up to like 4k...even hit 6k for awhile before settling down back around 4-5k. It happens sometimes. Bandwagon starts getting the ball rolling.

#32 10 years ago

Listen to what I'm saying: buying any pin as an investment is what I called stupid, SC being no exception. Hey, I love SC, I'm not knocking the game or anyone buying it.

I just disagree with the purchase of rare game for the sole purpose of financial speculation. If a game is purchased out of enjoyment and it rises in value, well, that's fine.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Anyway, I own a SC and it has nothing to do with feeling proud about a rare game. Bottom line is the game is fun and it is not like any other game.

Ok. It seems like a fun pin and kind of a cool thing to have in the game room. A fellow here offered me a really nice one for 7K and I'm balking at the cost, frankly. It seems like a capstone title to me. IE: the pin you add to your collection because you already own or have owned the other pins you care about.

Quoted from Cheeks:

But as far as staying power, I'm guessing you may be like me and play different games in waves. The best thing about having a large collection is I get to "rediscover" my games all the time. I get caught up playing certain games for a while and then, "Damn, I forgot how much fun ___ is!!!" Happens to me all the time and just recently with SC.

Yep. I do the same thing although there are some titles that I can literally play all night. Like EBD has infinite staying power for me. Given the sheer amount of space my collection takes up, I either need to upgrade my digs, rent a commercial space or buy a storage business and let other people pay to preserve my pins..

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If someone asks me why I have more than one, I always respond with. "why would someone have more than one nintendo cartridge?" Same principle applies. Most people I talk to have some kind of video game system, so they understand right away.

I've used a similar argument, but in fairness a box full of nintendo cartridges doesn't impact your housing options. Depending on where you live, the imputed costs of having a decent sized collection (space, heating, AC, etc.) are substantial. It's not quite in "owning a boat" territory but it ain't cheap.

BTW, thanks to everyone who responded. I think I'll go watch brother Bucci's review and sleep on it.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Yup, 2007 and 2008 is about right, But it was $1k game for 15 years straight. then someone got a bug in their ass and all the hype happened.

You're incorrigible

Here's another perspective. For all those years, your entire collection (sans the ones that didn't exist: LOTR, ACDC, TF) was worth what, maybe 2 nice Safecrackers?

Gah I remember the days of Shadows for $500 at auction. Tommy and Batman Forever...who would want to buy a Data East or Sega? And don't even get me started on Zaccaria pins.

Funny thing how most pins have gone up over the years. Suddenly everybody wants them and there aren't as many to go around.

EDIT: Just to be fair, looking at my own collection, I have a pair of linked NBAFBs. I've played and owned NBAFBs (even linked) over the years. So why did I pay more than twice what I previously sold them for and put them in my gameroom? It's an addiction, I tell you.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

Listen to what I'm saying: buying any pin as an investment is what I called stupid, SC being no exception. Hey, I love SC, I'm not knocking the game or anyone buying it.

I just disagree with the purchase of rare game for the sole purpose of financial speculation. If a game is purchased out of enjoyment and it rises in value, well, that's fine.

This is not how you phrased it before, but I appreciate the clarification.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Ok. It seems like a fun pin and kind of a cool thing to have in the game room. A fellow here offered me a really nice one for 7K and I'm balking at the cost, frankly. It seems like a capstone title to me. IE: the pin you add to your collection because you already own or have owned the other pins you care about. .

Play it. I find it a fun challenging well made pin. It might seem as a capstone or a sports car in a world of full size sedans. I love the call outs and it's a lawlor and the game in the backbox is novelty and cool at the same time.

What condition is the 7k? Does it have domestic tokens? Paperwork? Magic coin mech and decal? Wings and topper original? Playfield and ramps? I have a nice one and had it restored and have more than 7k in it.

Good decision to make either way you choose

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

What condition is the 7k? Does it have domestic tokens? Paperwork? Magic coin mech and decal? Wings and topper original? Playfield and ramps? I have a nice one and had it restored and have more than 7k in it.

He's a fellow-pinsider and reached out to me on account of this thread, so I'll let him choose to respond. Had the wings, coin mech, decal. Don't know if it was all original but it was a beauty. Sounds like he might be re-thinking selling it, but from what I saw it was pretty sweet!

#40 10 years ago

Mark its mine. Hope all is well.

#41 10 years ago

It would slide right in yor collection

Some people buy them to put in odd and small corners.

With 1148 made its pretty rare to begin with in ANY condition. Now add your personal level of detail and you can see how the price creeps up.

The coin coming out and hitting the lock bar is still cool. Such a great pinball/gambling hybrid.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

I put mine in the corner because it just makes sense there. The wings are what kills putting it in a standard row.

2013-03-02 12.41.00.jpg2013-03-02 12.41.00.jpg

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Quoted from schudel5:

The wings are what kills putting it in a standard row.

If you have the perfect spot for it, then it makes more sense than forcing it into a row of pins.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safecracker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.