(Topic ID: 41025)

Safe to power up a machine with no playfield?

By SideTrackTap

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by johnwartjr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi all,

I have a STTNG that the playfield is currently removed from. I bought the new color DMD and would like to install it and test it out. Is it safe to power up the machine without the playfield in it?

Thanks,

Chris

#2 11 years ago

yes. It just wont get any inputs. Cannon Calibrations will fail. But it should be fine.

#3 11 years ago

Others may speak differently, but theoretically it should be as long as there are no bare or exposed wires from the harness anywhere.

You may get a boatload of switch errors, but functionally it should work. I did this on my BoP to do some board work while the playfield was being touched up.

#4 11 years ago

Umm yes and no. I have done it before with no problems and then one time I burned out the DMD board actually recently on my HS2 when the PF was out. Some power routing must have gone through the PF or something. Who knows. Was not my fault for connecting anythig wrong as I only disconnected.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

Umm yes and no. I have done it before with no problems and then one time I burned out the DMD board actually recently on my HS2 when the PF was out. Some power routing must have gone through the PF or something. Who knows. Was not my fault for connecting anythig wrong as I only disconnected.

maybe it was ready to go anyway

#6 11 years ago

Thanks guys. I kind of figured it would be okay, but I'm venturing into new territory here, so I thought I'd ask. All of the wiring harnesses went with the playfield, but before I fire anything up, I'll double check everything in the backbox and such.

Thanks!

Chris

#7 11 years ago

Let us know how that turns out!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

No disrespect meant... but there is no way that could happen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 15.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 64.99
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safe-to-power-up-a-machine-with-no-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.