(Topic ID: 209430)

Safe Cracker will I regret buying after 1st day?

By Ballyoldboy

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Magic_Mike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5430 (resized).JPG
633E312B-E896-4FC3-AD80-460D9357D7EF (resized).jpeg
81475340-8944-4903-81A7-EF0919846D9A (resized).jpeg
4B2B904E-B0F7-4471-AF87-ED9B45E65D4A (resized).jpeg
3A80DB23-6AC7-4842-881C-3CC030927CA9 (resized).jpeg
8B6AD0EC-DB76-435C-A66D-7A830DE2DBAB (resized).jpeg
photo_2018-02-09_11-41-48 (resized).jpg
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I have almost struck a deal on this Safe Cracker pinball, outside of ebay and Pay Pal ('my bad) for £5000. Game is supposed to be immaculate in every way, tons of tokens, led's playfield strengthening bars you name it.
My problem is that I have buyers remorse on just about anything I buy. I have no chance to play, as it's a long way off and the courier is going to get big bucks out of me. My last waist of money was a Star Trek 25th anniversary ....... unbelievably boring, I might break even when that sells. I'm not just asking for this advice because I'm too lazy to read all the comments on Pinside, Iv'e been reading for days. I need a kick from you guys one way or another, am I going to have regrets? Will I be bored on day one?
Thanks John in the UK

#2 6 years ago

Some people love it some people hate it. Nobody can say what your gonna like. They can just give personal opinions which you have probably already read.
If your not sure don't buy anything till you have tried one or unless it's a great deal.

#3 6 years ago

Is it your only game? It might get a little old quickly if it's your only game, as it's got a smaller than usual playfield and a timed gameplay that's different than pretty much anything else out there. I like it as part of larger collection, as it's cool and different.

#4 6 years ago

Play a game before you buy. Quite very simple.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Is it your only game? It might get a little old quickly if it's your only game, as it's got a smaller than usual playfield and a timed gameplay that's different than pretty much anything else out there. I like it as part of larger collection, as it's cool and different.

This is pretty dead on. I have a smaller collection, so for the money I'd rather get more "traditional" games. But if you have a larger collection (or just like the game anyway!) then go for it.

#6 6 years ago

It's definitely not a game to have as your only game. If you had 5 or 6 other games then it might be a nice diversion for something different.

#7 6 years ago

You don't have a collection listed here so it's difficult to help if we don't know what you like or don't like.

Anyhow I have my SC for 15 years now and still love it. But like others say it should be part as a larger collection, as your only pinball (especially if you get non-pinball playing friends over and want them to play on it) it may be too different.
You have to get used to the small flippers but after a few games you do - and switching over to a regular game then suddenly makes the others feel real easy..
It's a Lawlor game, the rules and sounds are fun. Being time based makes strategy totally different - usually you don't go too soon for multiball.
If you want a quick rush then the assault the vault mode is fun, insert the special token and play multiball trying to get a highscore; It's really a rush and nice that you can start it with a token.. it's similar to a wizard mode in other games (like TZ) that you'll almost never reach or have to play a long game for.. and now you can start it whenever you want.

If you like Pat Lawlor games, or fast games with short shots then you'll love this;. if you only care about fan layout games or games with lots of flow then you'll have to get used to it..

Anyway, you won't get bored, it's really challenging, just play it enough so you get used first to the small playfield and small flippers.

#8 6 years ago

I didn't regret buying it, but I wanted to sell it after a couple weeks. If you enjoy cycling games in and out then give it a try. If you want to buy a keeper then you have to put the time in on the game first. Especially with this one.

#9 6 years ago

All good thoughts and advice. At this moment I am obsessed with owning it, but I think the key word in this reply is "owning"
Just cant get it out of my head. Normally I get over "I must have that now feeling" but not this time.
The excuse I'm giving myself this time is, what have I got to loose, apart from a small lose when resold. I have never been on the fence this long before, must be the huge amount of money I guess

#10 6 years ago

SC is a GREAT game.

I bought one a few years back thinking it would be temporary, but it is still here and I dont see it leaving.

Despite the short flippers it is a GREAT playing game. Distinctive Pat Lawlor feel but OH SO UNIQUE.
Most people dont take the time to learn how to shoot the game and just flail around. Many people dont appreciate the timed aspect and strategy of what to do and how. After you learn how to play it, it is a keeper for many.

It is also like three games in 1. Regular game, backbox game (fun for what it is). and then of course the special game when you insert your first special coin in for the special 3rd game (no going to ruin it for you in case you have not done this before.)

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Anyway, you won't get bored, it's really challenging, just play it enough so you get used first to the small playfield and small flippers.

Thanks aeneas
That was a very interesting post. You have your game for 15 years WOW!
I don't have other pinballs apart from that Star Trek thing and a few Bally bingo's which I enjoy restoring. "Where's the flippers" my friends say
Anyway I think your post will sway me, as you've had yours sooo long, it can't be bad
Cheers

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

Thanks aeneas
That was a very interesting post. You have your game for 15 years WOW!
I don't have other pinballs apart from that Star Trek thing and a few Bally bingo's which I enjoy restoring. "Where's the flippers" my friends say
Anyway I think your post will sway me, as you've had yours sooo long, it can't be bad
Cheers

He also has 15 games in his collection. I think SC would be a very cool game to own...just not in a two pin collection. (and it sounds like ST is on the way out)

#13 6 years ago

I've had my SC since '97 and knew I wanted it the first time I played it. It is a game like no other. Multi Player games can get a little confusing but once you see that token roll down the glass, it's a thing of beauty. I'll agree with the others that it's better in a larger collection, but put some plays on it and keep an open mind. There's a lot going on under that little glass.

MV

#14 6 years ago

Can you guess where this is going ...... Damn ..... this is all the money I have ..... apart from that Star Trek thingy
At least, no has said don't buy it
By the way is £5000 about right? Silly question really, as we live in different worlds, but this game will never come up again in the UK, not in my life time

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

Can you guess where this is going ...... Damn ..... this is all the money I have ..... apart from that Star Trek thingy
At least, no has said don't buy it
By the way is £5000 about right? Silly question really, as we live in different worlds, but this game will never come up again in the UK, not in my life time

I've played it and I wouldn't buy it. I've got to know I like a pin before spending thousands on one though. Maybe setup a virtual game to give you a taste of what it's like.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I've played it and I wouldn't buy it. I've got to know I like a pin before spending thousands on one though. Maybe setup a virtual game to give you a taste of what it's like.

Oh dear
Strike 1

#17 6 years ago

I've owned SC for almost 20 years.

It's a great game BUT only works well in a large collection.

My two cents...

#18 6 years ago

Keep in mind that SC was designed to be a redemption game, not a full game with strategy objectives, wizard modes, etc.

Just something to play a quick game, maybe win a token to get a prize or a free beer.

It is very shallow and the game play (while still very challenging) is short and sweet.

If it's your only pin, it will get old FAST!

In a collection of other pins, it will be a breath of fresh air when you don't want to play seriously and just want to bat the ball around.

#19 6 years ago

6000 usd is standard for players SC
7000 for HUO

Not sure what conversion rates are, but that is typical here.

It is a fun game and if you bore of it then you can always sell. they are not super common so price right there are plenty to buy. Also, more and more larger collections like to add them soma plenty supply if you domopt to sell.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I've owned SC for almost 20 years.
It's a great game BUT only works well in a large collection.
My two cents...

Well I did ask for advice
Be careful what you ask for ...... you might just get it
Thats almost strike 2
By the way I have watched on Youtube, but just couldn't get the feel of it

#21 6 years ago

You sound like me my first 4-5 years of collecting and to a degree still today. If my mind is set on a game or a theme, I'll talk myself into it every time. I bought plenty of games without ever putting one play on them. I don't have access to a lot of games locally and usually find games on route don't replicate the same feel in a home environment where you can hear all the sounds and put enough games on it to appreciate the rules. I've bought lots of games online and shipped them to my home.

I also don't like to wait and love instant gratification. Some people can hunt for a game for three years...not me. If I want it, I don't mind paying a small premium or taking a chance on an unfamiliar game that has good reviews from respected Pinsiders with tastes similar to mine.

I would do your best to hold off on getting SC and use that $$ to buy two lower cost , full featured pins.

#22 6 years ago

I agree with the previous comments. I love Lawlor games but Safecracker is a bit different. Only played it a few times and thought it was fun. Goal is to get on the board where it largely turns into a video game. Kind of cool but I rather be flipping throughout the game. If you really want one go for it. Enjoy it until you are ready to move on. You should have no problem selling it since it is a very collectible/rare game.

#23 6 years ago

SC is low on my list of classic Pat Lawlor games:

- TZ
- TAF
- FH
- RS
- NGG
- RBION
- NASCAR
- Roller Coaster Tycoon
- SC

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Goal is to get on the board where it largely turns into a video game.

I keep an eye on the vault and which gates are open. Get the lock lit and try and lock two balls before accidentally entering one of the entrances to the bank. Once all the balls are locked, determine which entrance has the shortest route. If the lower right gate is open I shoot for the roof entrance. Lower left gate open, shoot for the cellar. Upper left or upper right gate open shoot for the main entrance.

The first time on the board game I try and get in the vault. The odd thing is you can only move 1-5 spots but the cop can move 1-6. So If it looks like the cop is going to catch me I cash out and start TNT multiball and get some points and time.

But if you just want to keep the clock going and points going, if you accidentally get to the board game, you can cash out and go to TNT multiball for points and time.

But breaking into the vault to get the token to hopefully play Token Multiball where tokens spit out when you are trying to play is a rush. Also, don't forget to use the token(s) to play Assault on the Vault mode after your game is done.

No other pinball is like this...or ever will be.

#25 6 years ago

It is a great game. Not going to tell you yes or no. Its going to be your option in the end. I will tell you to look for these things before buying.
1. Playfield warp. This is one HEAVY little playfield with a lot on it. Someone does make playfield braces. If it doesnt have them. Get them!
2. Make sure you have working token dispensor mechs in backbox as well as special token mech. Without it you wont be playing the special game.
3. Make sure you get as many tokens as possiable.
4. Topper and both wings to backbox cone with it.
5. Finnally the decals fade easy. See if you have any fade issues.

Jyst my checklist to buying one.
If you need, or have questions. Pm me.
Magicchiz

#26 6 years ago

You can't play this one, or you've never played the game at all? You really have to play it to know. Some people don't care for it, but personally I've found it to play similarly to a full size pin, but with the benefits of more interesting strategies since it's a timed game and the additional vault game. I love mine.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

It is a great game. Not going to tell you yes or no. Its going to be your option in the end. I will tell you to look for these things before buying.
1. Playfield warp. This is one HEAVY little playfield with a lot on it. Someone does make playfield braces. If it doesnt have them. Get them!
2. Make sure you have working token dispensor mechs in backbox as well as special token mech. Without it you wont be playing the special game.
3. Make sure you get as many tokens as possiable.
4. Topper and both wings to backbox cone with it.
5. Finnally the decals fade easy. See if you have any fade issues.
Jyst my checklist to buying one.
If you need, or have questions. Pm me.
Magicchiz

Yes to everything .... except fading. Plus full led conversion plus a rope string and interestingly 1" balls fitted as the owner prefers them but comes with original balls (how/why?) I know if I put smaller balls in a bingo the ball sensors wont work. Smaller balls in a SC? ... maybe thats a whole new topic.
Wow your comments just keep on coming ..... love it

#28 6 years ago

I just picked one up as well. I'm playing the crap out of it, so is everyone else. Even Pat! It's literally in my office next to my desk because...well, because my other personal games are taking up the rest of our lobby. It's a fun game, and I got a prototype (#11), from a former Williams employee's private collection. It's not going anywhere any time soon.

I'm making myself a set of wings, since this game didn't have any when it was in the kitchen at the Williams factory...

photo_2018-02-09_11-41-48 (resized).jpgphoto_2018-02-09_11-41-48 (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

I am amazed how many people commenting have obviously never played the game enough to actually 'get' how to play it.

It is NOT merely a redemption game nor is it a board game, lol.

It is the real deal pinball, great shots, and very well done for the uniqueness of a small pf with small flippers.

So many write it off as novelty and dont ever learn how to play and the strategy like schudel points out.

#30 6 years ago

Personally, I've never understood the attraction of this game. Yes, I've played it multiple times, but the whole small-playfield thing just turns me off. Never owned one, never will.

Then there's my friend that loves the game and has owned it 3 different times, IIRC.

I think if you're having so many reservations about buying it, it's gonna have a tough time living up to those expectations. As you've stated, you're obsessed with "owning" it. That thrill will mostly be gone once it's in your house. You'll need to love the gameplay if it has any chance of staying around.

#31 6 years ago

I owned one for 6 years. It's a fun game, but I wish ATV was incorporated into the main game somehow. I stopped playing it after a while, but it remained a family favorite so I held onto longer than I would have and eventually sold it to fund a different game. Glad I owned one but don't miss it.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

but this game will never come up again in the UK, not in my life time

Yes it will....when you re-list it in a few weeks

In all seriousness, I love SC; it’s a really fun different type game. I could play for hours. But like others have said, in a small 2-3 pin collection, probably not the best choice. Worst case, reread the first line in this post....

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yes it will....when you re-list it in a few weeks

Very funny ..... actually that is very funny
It's all over, struck a deal just now, with 120 tokens wings and everything for £4900
I don't know if there is a close topic button, but I have loved every minuet of reading your replies since starting this post. If I hate this game after a very short while, well so be it, but for the first time in days, I will sleep easy tonight. I didn't need this game, I wanted it more than I can say
Small ball comments would be welcome

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

It's all over, struck a deal just now, with 120 tokens wings and everything for £4900

so 6800usd?

that is in the range and I am guessing it is more rare over there. Likely easy to sell if you do bore of it.

Enjoy the new game.

#35 6 years ago

Post back and let us know how it worked out!

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

so 6800usd?
that is in the range and I am guessing it is more rare over there. Likely easy to sell if you do bore of it.
Enjoy the new game.

Safecracker was part of a two pin purchase that initially got me into the hobby back around 2000. I bought it and a Scared Stiff as a package deal for my first games. I still have Safecracker, I still love it, and it is one of the games I can't imagine selling. That said, I have a large collection. If I had never expanded beyond a couple games, I would have gotten rid of it more than a decade ago.

As much as I love it, there is absolutely zero question you will get tired of it QUICKLY in a 1-2 game collection.

#37 6 years ago

I have 2 people waiting in line to buy mine if I ever sell it. They're going to have a long wait

#38 6 years ago

Yep.

#39 6 years ago

Feel the love...

You will enjoy it. When you are done, let it go to someone else for them to love.

8B6AD0EC-DB76-435C-A66D-7A830DE2DBAB (resized).jpeg8B6AD0EC-DB76-435C-A66D-7A830DE2DBAB (resized).jpeg

#40 6 years ago

Very neat and unique game. Didn't get to play it that much, but looks pretty interesting.

#41 6 years ago

I have one and really like it, but a I have a good size collection, it's a big hit for people that never played it, it can be brutal at times, not like any other pin I have ever owned, which makes it unique, loved it from the first time I played it, but for a small collection I would not recommend it, Great feeling when you break the bank, and play assault the vault it is just crazy fast

#42 6 years ago

Should be with me in about a week
Set on free play, and will need to get coin mech re-programmed to take British coins. I much prefer the experience of dropping coins in to pay for my games, like a giant piggy bank, much more fun
Thanks for all the comments

#43 6 years ago

Guests love getting a token and being able to take it home as a treat.

#44 6 years ago

Congrats, I’m seriously jealous. Figure I’ll own one one day myself.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Congrats, I’m seriously jealous. Figure I’ll own one one day myself.

I genuinely feel bad for you. Is it a matter of none available

Quoted from Nevus:

Guests love getting a token and being able to take it home as a treat.

Are you kidding .... no one will leave the house until all 120 tokens are accounted for

#46 6 years ago

Those tokens sell for ten dollars each on eBay!

#47 6 years ago

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but what was the point of the one and only silver colored token?
Can you plant it in the garden and grow a new pinball??
My guess is that it was worth more when you redeemed it for goods etc.
Hmmm, have I just answered my own question ....?

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but what was the point of the one and only silver colored token?
Can you plant it in the garden and grow a new pinball??
My guess is that it was worth more when you redeemed it for goods etc.
Hmmm, have I just answered my own question ....?

They were either to redeem for prizes or for people to collect. It was just a rarer coin to make it more about the bragging rights to have gotten one. The prototype token is the rarest and it's an antiqued brass color.

I removed all my original tokens and replaced with 30mm pachislo tokens I picked up from ebay for a few cents a piece. That way none of the originals go home in people's pockets.

#49 6 years ago

Personally, I think it’s a really cool game and very unique! Trying to pick one up at the Ohio show this year.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Ballyoldboy:

I have almost struck a deal on this Safe Cracker pinball, outside of ebay and Pay Pal ('my bad) for £5000. Game is supposed to be immaculate in every way, tons of tokens, led's playfield strengthening bars you name it.
My problem is that I have buyers remorse on just about anything I buy. I have no chance to play, as it's a long way off and the courier is going to get big bucks out of me. My last waist of money was a Star Trek 25th anniversary ....... unbelievably boring, I might break even when that sells. I'm not just asking for this advice because I'm too lazy to read all the comments on Pinside, Iv'e been reading for days. I need a kick from you guys one way or another, am I going to have regrets? Will I be bored on day one?
Thanks John in the UK

John - I could be interested in the Star Trek 25th Have sent you a PM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 37.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safe-cracker-will-i-regret-buying-after-1st-day and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.