(Topic ID: 291066)

100 Safe Cracker Tokens - with 2 silver tokens!

By pinghetto

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dluth
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210401_021621537 (resized).jpg
sc (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Selling 100 NOS Safe Cracker tokens. Includes 2 silver tokens....

ebay.com link: itm

#3 3 years ago

Let's try this again. Link updated. Thanks for the heads up LTG

#4 3 years ago

Are the silver ones rare?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

Yes.

LTG : )

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

I might add I don't know the percentage, but they are real silver.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Are they really?? That I didn't know.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

Now you do.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

When the game shipped, it came with a box of 300 tokens. And supposed to be around 6 silver ones included to try and entice players to keep playing and trying to win the silver ones.

Early boxes of 300 when you bought them separately should have some too.

I had the first one from my distributor for test. I opened the factory sealed carton and plastic sleeves of tokens myself, to install in the machine. I didn't have any silver ones included in my set. Williams inquired how my players reacted to the silver ones. I told them there weren't any with my game. I was told there were. I mentioned that I collected coins most of my life and know the difference between brass and silver, and the tubes in the game where they were in are clear lexan, so you could see that all of mine were brass.

I never heard any more about them. No idea if someone at the factory was removing them or what.

So no way of knowing how many are really out there and could be rare like the prototype bronze tokens.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

When the game shipped, it came with a box of 300 tokens. And supposed to be around 6 silver ones included to try and entice players to keep playing and trying to win the silver ones.
Early boxes of 300 when you bought them separately should have some too.
I had the first one from my distributor for test. I opened the factory sealed carton and plastic sleeves of tokens myself, to install in the machine. I didn't have any silver ones included in my set. Williams inquired how my players reacted to the silver ones. I told them there weren't any with my game. I was told there were. I mentioned that I collected coins most of my life and know the difference between brass and silver, and the tubes in the game where they were in are clear lexan, so you could see that all of mine were brass.
I never heard any more about them. No idea if someone at the factory was removing them or what.
So no way of knowing how many are really out there and could be rare like the prototype bronze tokens.

Lloyd,

I remember when we bought Dahlco years and years ago. They literally had burlap money bags FULL of Safe Cracker tokens. Every single one of them went in the dumpster when we cleaned out the warehouse. We had no clue back then... It was just something we didn't have to move to Bloomington.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

I remember when we bought Dahlco years and years ago. They literally had burlap money bags FULL of Safe Cracker tokens. Every single one of them went in the dumpster when we cleaned out the warehouse. We had no clue back then... It was just something we didn't have to move to Bloomington.

There was a time before they were remade that you could get $2 or $3 apiece on Ebay. for the brass ones.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

There was a time before they were remade that you could get $2 or $3 apiece on Ebay. for the brass ones.

There's a guy selling one of the silver ones for $47.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

Quoted from LTG:

Now you do.

Y'all are telling me these things are real silver?

I always considered them a PITA because they won't work in the coinslot when it's adjusted for the brass tokens.

sc (resized).pngsc (resized).png
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Yes. I don't know the quantity, I'm sure it's not a lot. They are worth something.

Quoted from metallik:

I always considered them a PITA because they won't work in the coinslot when it's adjusted for the brass tokens.

There are two different sizes. One for America and a slightly different one for Europe. Otherwise they should work, brass or silver. Unless the different size is the issue.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Weird that yours are all the same design. They came in every design, 27 different ones I think.

I wonder if yours aren't original, but ones that someone made ? That would explain why they don't work in your magic token coin chute.

They should ring like a silver coin when dropped on a table, if silver.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. I don't know the quantity, I'm sure it's not a lot. They are worth something.

There are two different sizes. One for America and a slightly different one for Europe. Otherwise they should work, brass or silver. Unless the different size is the issue.

I wonder if I have a EU mech in my SC. Both silver and brass coins work flawlessly. Never had either jam... I believe it's a Coin Controls brand mech.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Weird that yours are all the same design. They came in every design, 27 different ones I think.
I wonder if yours aren't original, but ones that someone made ? That would explain why they don't work in your magic token coin chute.
They should ring like a silver coin when dropped on a table, if silver.

I've only see the silver ones with the same design as Metallik.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

I wonder if I have a EU mech in my SC. Both silver and brass coins work flawlessly. Never had either jam... I believe it's a Coin Controls brand mech.

Hard to say. You'd need the matching EU tokens or they wouldn't work.

Europe had a coin the same size so for export Williams had to change the size.

Same as normal mechs. You need the right coin or it won't work. It tests bounce, thickness, weight, magnetic properties in some mechs, etc. etc.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

I've only see the silver ones with the same design as Metallik.

I've had others. Cop eating a donut comes to mind. Never paid much attention to them if they actually made a silver one for each of the various designs.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Real silver colored metal also known as nickel or zinc.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Real silver colored metal also known as nickel or zinc.

Williams advertised these as having real silver in them. Again I don't know the percentage.

They were trying to get the players to keep playing and collect them once they discovered them.

#22 3 years ago

I still wish Safe Cracker would have been Monopoly like Lawlor was talking about.

#23 3 years ago

I don't know if we'll ever know for sure what was going on.

Flyer said 10 designs, Bally made 20 and one silver. And at least one prototype. Searching it is also referred to as silver tone ? As in not silver.

And as I posted earlier that when Williams wanted to know how my players reacted to the silver token. Clearly one hand didn't know what the other was doing.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

I still wish Safe Cracker would have been Monopoly like Lawlor was talking about.

The lackluster sales of Safecracker also ended Pat doing other pinball machines with a game in the backbox.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Williams advertised these as having real silver in them. Again I don't know the percentage.
They were trying to get the players to keep playing and collect them once they discovered them.

Don’t recall. Is there a flyer that states that somewhere?

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Is there a flyer that states that somewhere?

IPDB mentions it.

The Williams poster had more on it.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Is there a flyer that states that somewhere?

Flyer doesn't - https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3782&picno=3969&zoom=1

Williams and my distributor claimed it. No idea if Replay or Playmeter ads had anything or not.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Flyer doesn't - https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3782&picno=3969&zoom=1
Williams and my distributor claimed it. No idea if Replay or Playmeter ads had anything or not.

Bummer, was hoping to see how it was marketed. Not sure I would trust a distributor “saying it” they would have pocketed the tokens if they were silver IMO.

I looked on IPDB and didn’t see the reference to silver other than 19 Gold and 1 silver token, which is obviously describing the color of the tokens and not real gold and silver, right?.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3782

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

Not sure I would trust a distributor “saying it” they would have pocketed the tokens if they were silver IMO.

The box of 300 tokens was sealed and packed up inside the game. I uncrated my game myself, and there were no silver ones in my package.

Being you'd have to uncrate each game. I'm not sure how many distributors would go to all that work. Real silver or not.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The box of 300 tokens was sealed and packed up inside the game. I uncrated my game myself, and there were no silver ones in my package.
Being you'd have to uncrate each game. I'm not sure how many distributors would go to all that work. Real silver or not.

Good point

#31 3 years ago

There were some antiqued ones as well. Not sure when or why those were done, but I got these from a WMS designer. They all seem to be the same design except the 3 on the right. The prototype is the lower right.

PXL_20210401_021621537 (resized).jpgPXL_20210401_021621537 (resized).jpg

#32 3 years ago

Guessing that this thread will bring out the token experts so I'll pose this question in hopes of an answer. What a full set of international tokens worth now a days?

Thanks,

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballJeff:

What a full set of international tokens worth now a days?

No idea. They and the domestic ones were remade at least once.

Maybe completed auctions of any sold on Ebay would provide a clue ?

#34 3 years ago

There’s a few ways that are non destructive that you can test these to figure out the composition.
The first would be specific gravity.
Weigh the token on a balance scale, then weigh it suspended in water.
Take the actual weight of the token and divide it by the suspended weight and this will give you a number that is the specific gravity of the token.
From there, look it up on a chart of published specific gravities and it will give you the composition within a range.

The other nondestructive method would be X-ray refraction. I own a coin business and we have an XRF machine if someone wants one of these tested.
I can send the token back afterwards.
With this method I call tell you what the composition including trace metals is within one hundredth of a percent of alloys with about a 1.5% margin of error.

#35 3 years ago

I bought a set of seven prototype tokens about 15 years ago. I haven’t looked at them since.

2 weeks later
#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

There’s a few ways that are non destructive that you can test these to figure out the composition.
The first would be specific gravity.
Weigh the token on a balance scale, then weigh it suspended in water.
Take the actual weight of the token and divide it by the suspended weight and this will give you a number that is the specific gravity of the token.
From there, look it up on a chart of published specific gravities and it will give you the composition within a range.
The other nondestructive method would be X-ray refraction. I own a coin business and we have an XRF machine if someone wants one of these tested.
I can send the token back afterwards.
With this method I call tell you what the composition including trace metals is within one hundredth of a percent of alloys with about a 1.5% margin of error.

Interesting stuff. I can see where you get your handle from!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safe-cracker-tokens-with-2-silver-tokens and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.