IMG_7218 (resized).JPG
IMG_7217 (resized).JPG
IMG_7216 (resized).JPG
IMG_7215 (resized).JPG
IMG_7214 (resized).JPG
IMG_7213 (resized).JPG
IMG_7211 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

i have restored a few games over the years and always try to improve and get better with each restore. i've learned a lot from the info here at Pinside, and i've just finished up a Safe Cracker that was purchased at a auction for cheap. it was non working, heavily routed condition. i have attached some pics of the finished work and would like to know what everyone thinks. the playfield was cleared by HSA, boards done by Coin-op Cauldron. cabinet wasn't too bad, so i left it alone, but redone the inside. i messed up on one of the wing decals, so i'll have to buy another set just to finish the right side wing.

IMG_7210 (resized).JPGIMG_7210 (resized).JPGIMG_7211 (resized).JPGIMG_7211 (resized).JPGIMG_7212 (resized).JPGIMG_7212 (resized).JPGIMG_7213 (resized).JPGIMG_7213 (resized).JPGIMG_7214 (resized).JPGIMG_7214 (resized).JPGIMG_7215 (resized).JPGIMG_7215 (resized).JPGIMG_7216 (resized).JPGIMG_7216 (resized).JPGIMG_7217 (resized).JPGIMG_7217 (resized).JPGIMG_7218 (resized).JPGIMG_7218 (resized).JPGIMG_7219 (resized).JPGIMG_7219 (resized).JPGIMG_7220 (resized).JPGIMG_7220 (resized).JPGIMG_7221 (resized).JPGIMG_7221 (resized).JPGIMG_7222 (resized).JPGIMG_7222 (resized).JPGIMG_7223 (resized).JPGIMG_7223 (resized).JPGIMG_7224 (resized).JPGIMG_7224 (resized).JPGIMG_7225 (resized).JPGIMG_7225 (resized).JPGIMG_7226 (resized).JPGIMG_7226 (resized).JPGIMG_7227 (resized).JPGIMG_7227 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

Really nice job.
It’s amazing how packed in everything is under the playfield

#3 3 years ago

Looks great. Good call on leaving the cabinet alone.

#4 3 years ago

Looks good- nice work. Is that an old HSA of job, or are they back at it?

#5 3 years ago

Great work and a great game!

#6 3 years ago

Wow, there's some time invested in that! Excellent job.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Looks good- nice work. Is that an old HSA of job, or are they back at it?

I was just thinking the same thing. Brian at HSA did a lot of work for me years ago. Just yesterday I looked at his old website and see there’s a link to a new place. They mentioned a connection to the old HSA. Anyone else use these guys?

http://www.lasvegasplayfields.com/?page_id=18

BTW ky-pin , very nice work on the Safe Cracker. Impressive! Are we going to see a for sale as soon?

#8 3 years ago

That looks incredible, great job! How did you get the metal so shiny? The playfield supports look like mirrors.
I’m currently in the middle of my first restoration which is also a Safe Cracker. This will give me some impetus to finish as I’ve been chipping away now for a few months. It won’t be as sparkling as yours underneath but I’ve got a new Mirco playfield and new clear ramps which should look great. I’m also installing Rad Cals as the cabinet was pretty rough.
There’s so much packed into that small playfield!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from amxfc3s:

Looks great. Good call on leaving the cabinet alone.

I agree, that cabinet is pretty nice as is. All around, nice job!

#10 3 years ago

i didn't realize HSA was out of it. playfield was done years ago. i don't get much time to devote to the restore process, so i chip away at it whenever, mostly in the winter months. it takes me about 3 to 5 years to finish one.
the playfield supports was chrome plated by mike chestnut, (that's how long i've been working on this one) they were in bad shape, i tried to buff and polish them, but was better off getting them plated with all the other stuff. anything metal gets tumbled first, if that doesn't work, i replace with new, and if that doesn't work the third option is to have it re-plated.

Dluth, i'm glad safe cracker wasn't my first attempt at a full restore, it would probably be my last. just so much going on in a tiny area, on top and beneath the playfield, then the tokens in the already crowded backbox. i'm glad this is done.

2 months later
#11 3 years ago

Very nice work!!!
Good talking to you today!

1 week later
#12 3 years ago

oh man... that's beautiful (better than NIB). Are there a lot of aftermarket parts for this one. I'm thinking of buying a SC someday. Anything that is just impossible to get? For example, I'm worried about Paul's aftermarket support rails.

1 month later
#13 3 years ago
Quoted from marcmarasco:

oh man... that's beautiful (better than NIB). Are there a lot of aftermarket parts for this one. I'm thinking of buying a SC someday. Anything that is just impossible to get? For example, I'm worried about Paul's aftermarket support rails.

Those support rails are already unobtainuim unless he makes another run.
Seems like the heyday for SC Mods is already past

#14 3 years ago

Love this game, nice job. I can’t find one myself that the seller doesn’t want a crazy amount for it. Beautiful job!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
$ 85.00
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safe-cracker-restored and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.