(Topic ID: 273637)

Safe Cracker - Proto/Early Production???

By PinballJeff

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4373 (resized).JPG
20200724_090011 (resized).jpg
IMG_4363 (resized).JPG
IMG_4366 (resized).JPG
IMG_4365 (resized).JPG
IMG_4369 (resized).JPG
IMG_4359 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I recently bought out another collector and one of the games is Safe Cracker. There are a number of boards under the playfield and the light board for the translite that are red boards. All boards in the head are green. While shopping out my SC, I was looking at the newly acquired one and also noticed the Roof plastic is different than my games (see attached photo).

Anyone have any information on early model Safe Crackers?

Thanks,

IMG_4359 (resized).JPGIMG_4359 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

Red boards = prototype

IPDB has some prototype pictures - https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3782

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Anyone have any information on early model Safe Crackers?
Thanks,
[quoted image]

Sometimes you can tell by the serial number and the production date on the large white sticker on the cabinet.

#4 3 years ago

The green boards could be the same as ones used on other games. I have seven tokens that are prototypes.

#5 3 years ago

The last few digits of the serial number will be where it was in production. This game would have started at XX0001 or something around that. Usually a true proto will have red lamp boards and possibly game boards in the back head. These were usually hand built and test games for troubleshooting.
I have a safecracker, actually two right now, both are in the 800's and standard production games.
I would estimate that probably 10-25 true protos might have been built, red boards. Then the next 10-25 or so would have been early production, sometimes called sample games that can also have some of the proto differences.
On this title, I am not completely sure what all the differences were. But if you need to check against a standard, very original, production I have a good example.

#7 3 years ago

Great find!

Generally proto games don't have red boards in the backbox as those are platform-level boards, and were the same across games (they weren't engineered specifically to the title).

The red lamp boards are definitely a prototype indicator (as well as the info others posted above).

Enjoy it, it's definitely rare!

#8 3 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. Snapped a couple of photos for people to see.

IMG_4363 (resized).JPGIMG_4363 (resized).JPGIMG_4365 (resized).JPGIMG_4365 (resized).JPGIMG_4366 (resized).JPGIMG_4366 (resized).JPGIMG_4369 (resized).JPGIMG_4369 (resized).JPG
#9 3 years ago

Here is mine.

20200724_090011 (resized).jpg20200724_090011 (resized).jpg

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballJeff:

Thanks for all the responses. Snapped a couple of photos for people to see.

You have game number 17. Nice.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from athens95:

The last few digits of the serial number will be where it was in production. This game would have started at XX0001 or something around that. Usually a true proto will have red lamp boards and possibly game boards in the back head. These were usually hand built and test games for troubleshooting.
I have a safecracker, actually two right now, both are in the 800's and standard production games.
I would estimate that probably 10-25 true protos might have been built, red boards. Then the next 10-25 or so would have been early production, sometimes called sample games that can also have some of the proto differences.
On this title, I am not completely sure what all the differences were. But if you need to check against a standard, very original, production I have a good example.

Thanks for the offer, but I've got a standard production unit to compare it against. Just wasn't sure if there was already a list of the differences between proto vs production.

Now to find someone who's looking to do a restoration on a proto for their collection or have a decent players game.

IMG_4373 (resized).JPGIMG_4373 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.50
9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safe-cracker-proto-early-production and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.