• Dirty Harry 52 votes
    60%

(86 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181211_211339 (resized).jpg
20181211_211352 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I’m going to see someone who has both of these for sale tomorrow. Both are nice and same owner for 20+ years.

SC is 6k complete with wings topper and tokens (not sure how many).

DH is 3500 and nice Playfield and cab.

SC seems like the better deal? Both have zero mods and appear to have low plays. I’d like to grab them both but don’t have the space or funds to do so. I’ve played both titles before but just limited amounts of time spent on them.

#2 5 years ago

I've only played Safe Cracker before so I say get Dirty Harry, even if both games were the same price.

#3 5 years ago

That is a tough one, both are really fun games. Safecracker is one heavy b*^ch, so for that reason alone I'm taking DH. You really can't lose either way.

#4 5 years ago

Dirty Harry all day long, safe cracker is timed rather than “turn based”. Safe cracker always seemed weird because of that. Got feeling it wasn’t really pinball.

#5 5 years ago

DH is the better deal. You can still get a decent 2nd pin for the cash you'll have left over, as opposed to spending it all on Safe Cracker.

#6 5 years ago

Where is the Safe Cracker? I’m looking for a nice one.

#7 5 years ago

How big is the collection, if you have more than 3 pins I would go SC if fewer I would go DH,

#8 5 years ago

SC is more unique, interesting, quirky and a ton of fun to play. No other game is quite like it especially playing Assault on the Vault with a token. It's not a particularly good game to use for tournaments though, so keep that in mind. The multiplayer game can get confusing especially when a couple players are eliminated because they ran out of time. They didn't make very many SCs so it's a tougher game to find.

DH is a great game too and quite a bit cheaper mainly because they made quite a few. Great tournament game if that is any consolation. A lot of good modes and Crime Wave which is a very tough wizard mode. Oh and midnight madness too.

Tough call.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Where is the Safe Cracker? I’m looking for a nice one.

hey you got my addams gold, not my safe cracker too LOL. I'd probably trade it towards your addams if you ever get tired of it!!

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

How big is the collection, if you have more than 3 pins I would go SC if fewer I would go DH,

I have 10 pins currently and a couple arcades

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

hey you got my addams gold, not my safe cracker too LOL

Haha that’s right! I forgot!

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Haha that’s right! I forgot!

you've got a good taste in pins! don't forget me when you get bored of it! haha

#13 5 years ago

DH all day!

#14 5 years ago

I've owned both.
Safecracker by a mile.
Chalk and cheese.

#15 5 years ago

DH as a one-three pin collection or
SC as a fun novelty game to add if you have 3 or more.

#16 5 years ago

Safecracker

#17 5 years ago

That is a good price if the SC is really HUO. You will need to add the color DMD. It is a very different game. Keeping mine although I sold my DH after a year.
DH is a great game too, but SC is unique.

#18 5 years ago
#19 5 years ago

Safe cracker is a fun rare novelty game but Dirty Harry is a super fun game great theme and a really fun layout so i would go with DH.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

This^^^

Safecracker is a bit of a novelty game with shrunken playfield and cabinet.

Dirty Harry has a great layout and is fun to play.

Although 6K for a nice Safecracker is a good deal and you could re-sale easier down the road.

Really Apples and Oranges when it comes to gameplay, I would recommend playing five games on both titles and see what one grabs you more. Both are good games.

I have always wanted a Safecracker to put in my bedroom because it is so small-I could shove it in a corner. My wife says hell no-that aint happening-lol

#21 5 years ago

Safe Cracker adds variety to your collection and is popular with pinheads and non-pinheads alike. Dirty Harry is a good game, but not really very different from many other games.

#22 5 years ago
#23 5 years ago

Safe Cracker.....both are good pins, but if SC is within your reach - take it.....I like the unique qualities of it...

#24 5 years ago

I've played SC a few times. Fun for a little while but just doesn't seem like pinball. You spend a lot of time looking up at the backboard playing basically a board game. I can see getting one if you are a true collector but not if you plan on playing it a lot. I cannot get into DH but it's definitely a better playing game for half the cost.

#25 5 years ago

DH for play, SC for oddity

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Fun for a little while but just doesn't seem like pinball. You spend a lot of time looking up at the backboard playing basically a board game.

That's what makes it unique and a novelty game. It really adds some fun to a larger collection to add variety. I compare it to my WOF which is a bit of a novelty game. I would never own one if I did not own several games, but it helps add to the diversification of a larger collection-if that makes sense? Same would go for Pinball Circus which would be awesome to own.

#27 5 years ago

If I were you I would get the SC and then trade one of your games for my DH-Win Win

#28 5 years ago

I own both. Safecracker is by far the better game, longer keeper, and just so damn unique.

DH is fun, but SC is better (esp if nice as your sounds, with coins, etc...)

#29 5 years ago

Is there any other game out there where you can get whacked in the nutz with a coin? SC has that going for it...

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

That's what makes it unique and a novelty game. It really adds some fun to a larger collection to add variety. I compare it to my WOF which is a bit of a novelty game. I would never own one if I did not own several games, but it helps add to the diversification of a larger collection-if that makes sense? Same would go for Pinball Circus which would be awesome to own.

I get that if you have a large collection and like the rare stuff. Even if I had space for a large collection, I would still prefer games more traditional games you can play all day. It just doesn't make sense to me to pay a premium for a novelty game that you will only play once in a while. You could get a brand new game or save thousands by getting a solid classic instead.

#31 5 years ago

DH. Shots and music/callouts are dynamic.

#32 5 years ago

A lot of people are quick to dismiss Safe Cracker because of its size, but it's actually a really good game with one of the best rulesets of the 90's. In my opinion, it's a MUCH better game than DH, and I happen to really like DH.

#33 5 years ago

SC doesn't come up that often. I have never seen one for sale locally, but have seen Dirty Harry at least three times.

If the SC is nice, 6K is a decent deal. DH at 3.5K seems pretty average to me.

I also really enjoy the novelty, but not everyone seems to. If it doesn't connect with you, should be easier to get your money back on that one too.

I'd go for the SC.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

It just doesn't make sense to me to pay a premium for a novelty game that you will only play once in a while.

I am guessing you have not explored SC much? It is smaller size but definitely far from a novelty game.

#35 5 years ago

I set out originally to find a DH because I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan. The seller happened to have a SC as well, and I was already interested in that title so it had me stumped... I do see DH come up fairly often, but SC not so much as mentioned.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

I do see DH come up fairly often, but SC not so much as mentioned.

Looks like that could be your determining factor. Assuming you're ready to spend that extra money, grab the SC while it's convenient, and then down the road when you're ready again, grab a DH. That would be the path of least resistance.

#37 5 years ago

Well decided on the SC. It was in great shape, cab and playfield looked new. He said he owned for 20 yrs. Only had a handful of tokens so he knocked 100 off. I'm satisfied at 5900 and may grab his DH if it's still for sale later. Cool guy whose been in the hobby since 94.

20181211_211339 (resized).jpg20181211_211339 (resized).jpg20181211_211352 (resized).jpg20181211_211352 (resized).jpg
#38 5 years ago

Good call! Sounds like you got a great deal on that SC. Congrats!

#39 5 years ago

Nice pick up man, enjoy it

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

Well decided on the SC. It was in great shape, cab and playfield looked new. He said he owned for 20 yrs. Only had a handful of tokens so he knocked 100 off. I'm satisfied at 5900 and may grab his DH if it's still for sale later. Cool guy whose been in the hobby since 94.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice deal and with those stickers surviving on top the backbox id bet the rest of the machine is also top notch. If hes had for over 20 years it may have never seen route work and if it did very very short time
Good deal on a mint sc

#41 5 years ago

I've got a Dirty Harry coming in soon if you decide you want to add it later

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from sc93cobra:

I've got a Dirty Harry coming in soon if you decide you want to add it later

thanks Chris keep me posted bud!

#43 5 years ago

This just in....,dh doubles in value after studio says it will make a new movie in the saga.lol

#44 5 years ago

Nice bed rug. Makes moving pins so nice. You got that SC for a great price! Enjoy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safe-cracker-or-dirty-harry?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.