Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
cellar.jpg
SC.jpg
saf2.JPG
safetop.JPG
rawleys-baby.jpg
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Any cool mods for Safe Cracker?

Just ordered the cointaker LED kit and will obviously order both Cliffy's. Any must have mods for this game? Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Don't do it!

#3 10 years ago

LOL. Need more info on what I shouldn't do? LED'ing the machine? What's the downside to it?

#4 10 years ago

Modding it. LEDs I like just fine, But safecracker is aboot as wacky of a machine as there ever was. You don't need to stick little plastic safes and robbers inside of it man! If you are going to do it at least get some old school Hamburgler dolls *Robble Robble*

EDIT: Unless you just mean protecting it

#6 10 years ago

Ah, gotcha. Yea, I wasn't going to put any figures in it. It's got a pretty packet playfield already. I was thinking more along the line of special mirror blades cut special for the game (if any were made). I really wish they made PDI or Invisiglass for the game . . . that would be awesome!

#7 10 years ago

Hmm, heat shrink tubing. Good idea. Will absolutely do this. Thanks gweem!!!!

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I really wish they made PDI or Invisiglass for the game . . . that would be awesome!

I have a sheet of PDI glass on mine. It was custom made.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I really wish they made PDI or Invisiglass for the game . . . that would be awesome!

Pretty sure they do. I think PDI was having a sale here the other day that got kinda dicey, but they said something aboot Safecracker...let me find it

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I have a sheet of PDI glass on mine. It was custom made.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Pretty sure they do. I think PDI was having a sale here the other day that got kinda dicey, but they said something aboot Safecracker...let me find it

Oh man, link me to where I press the buy now button . . . please!!!!

I'm going to start googling right now myself. Never ordered PDI glass before; only Invisiglass. Would love to give PDI glass a shot.

#11 10 years ago

Well I dont know aboot the sale, it's old, but they mention SC glass so it can be made
"Also can discount just (1) sheet of safecracker size to $275."

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pdi-optical-non-glare-glass-widebody-size-glass-sale

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I dont know aboot the sale, but they mention SC glass so it can be made
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pdi-optical-non-glare-glass-widebody-size-glass-sale

Thanks for digging that up for me. You da man!!!!!

#13 10 years ago

They had it! My wife may quickly convert me to a tiger skin rug for it . . . but I've just gotta have that glass and some LEDs.

Thanks again guys!!!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They had it! My wife may quickly convert me to a tiger skin rug for it . . . but I've just gotta have that glass and some LEDs.

Thanks again guys!!!

Awesome! I completely missed that thread. Glad you grabbed a piece while it was still available. Joey is a good guy. A lot of people knock him for his prices, but I have never had anything but good dealings with him. You're gonna love the PDI glass on that game, and a fine example such as yours certainly deserves it.

#15 10 years ago

Local guy did mirror blades in his and pdi glass..

#16 10 years ago

If you can find the underplayfield supports Id install them. HUO or not a SC playfield is poorly designed to hold the weight of all those mechs.

Install a Cliffy on the ramp and a Mantis in the bank kickout hole if not already done.

You can also substitute in 1" pinballs which will make the game wicked fast.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

If you can find the underplayfield supports Id install them. HUO or not a SC playfield is poorly designed to hold the weight of all those mechs.

I'll have to look for the supports. I'm not sure if I have seen them.

Quoted from lllvjr:

Local guy did mirror blades in his

Thanks! How did they look? Did he say who made the blades? I suppose I will PM pinsider Drano and see if he does them.

#18 10 years ago

I put lift-off hinges on mine so I could adjust the wing angle.

Edit: here's the link where I got the idea http://www.audihere.com/scstuff/

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Install a Cliffy on the ramp and a Mantis in the bank kickout hole if not already done.

This is a must do

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

If you can find the underplayfield supports, I'd install them. HUO or not, a SC playfield is poorly designed to hold the weight of all those mechs.

Yes. The support rails are an absolute must. All SC playfields warp to one degree or another. It's just a matter of time. The support rails will keep it nice and flat, and the game will play much truer.

I just PM'd you the contact information for the guy who makes them.

#21 10 years ago

Yes a Cliffy on the "crotch" of the ramp at the right side of the game.

Also, the ramp is not designed right just below that crotch (where the kickback is located). The ramp is 1/4" too wide in that area. On mine (because that ramp is too wide in that area) when the ball would get kicked to the ball lock, the ball would rattle around between the sides and 8 times out of 10 never make it to the lock. This is also the reason why that "crotch" in the ramp gets hit by the ball. I know it's going to sound hokey, but I added a piece of self adhesive weather strip foam along the left inside of the ramp from below the crotch to where the kickback is. About a 3 or 4" long piece IIRC. This gives the ball narrower area to guide the ball. 100% of all balls now are sent to the lock.

I saw your game and it's awesome, so I can understand any hesitation you may have to do this; but maybe there's another solution. To be honest you can't really see it if you use a dark foam. Play the game and see if you have this issue, maybe you'll find you don't...but I did.

#22 10 years ago

not a mod, but be careful when you slide out the pf on this game. The right ramp might want to catch on the hinge bolt and snap.

#23 10 years ago

What do you guys think about clear ramps in this game. I have a brand new set of clear repros that I've been thinking about installing. I'm pretty sure you can't even buy the clear ones any more. The original red ramps in my game are in good shape, but it would give the whole game a very different look with the clear ramps. The reason I haven't swapped them out yet is because I'm not sure I want to mess with the stock look.

#24 10 years ago

As others have said, support rails, support rails, support rails. Did I mention the support rails?

Here is a link to my support rail (damn, there it is again) installation.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safe-cracker-support-rails-installed-with-pics

#25 10 years ago

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the advice and links. Support rails will be installed the day the game arrives.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What do you guys think about clear ramps in this game. I have a brand new set of clear repros that I've been thinking about installing. I'm pretty sure you can't even buy the clear ones any more. The original red ramps in my game are in good shape, but it would give the whole game a very different look with the clear ramps. The reason I haven't swapped them out yet is because I'm not sure I want to mess with the stock look.

This had me thinking, are there any replacement items I should buy now like ramps that might not be available in the future?

Quoted from Erik:

not a mod, but be careful when you slide out the pf on this game. The right ramp might want to catch on the hinge bolt and snap.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

You can also substitute in 1" pinballs which will make the game wicked fast.

Are there any downsides to the 1" pinballs being installed?

#27 10 years ago

I thought pinball inc was making clear ramps, but I don't see them. To me that would be a great mod.

I used to sell a coil cover mod. I don't sell them any more. I sold around 200 of them so there is a good chance your game already has one. Here is the website. Once again please don't ask me for one of these. I have not made them in a couple of years.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/coilcov.htm

Post edited by PT : forgot link

#28 10 years ago

I put a piece of red paper (cut to shape) at the bottom of the right ramp above the kickback coil. It nicely hides the coil. Don't have picture here to show.

In the past someone made a nice black plastic abs box to fit over the lock coil at the top right of the playfield. With these 2 coils more hidden the games looks more finished..

And I was thinking of making some kind of decal to put underneath the ramp entry of the left ramp..

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I thought pinball inc was making clear ramps, but I don't see them. To me that would be a great mod.

Yeah, I think they stopped making the clear ones and only make the red ones now.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

This had me thinking, are there any replacement items I should buy now like ramps that might not be available in the future?

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Are there any downsides to the 1" pinballs being installed?

Ball can sometimes be too fast for the optos at the coil at the y in the ramp where the ball gets shot to the lock.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yeah, I think they stopped making the clear ones and only make the red ones now.

IIRC, Pinball Inc made a (one time) limited run of clear ramps to satisfy customer requests. The clear ramps allow the artwork under the ramps to be seen.

As others have stated, Cliffy and Mantis protectors, playfield supports, and coil cover are must do mods if you can find them.

SC is a unique game that will most likely NEVER leaving our collection.

Steve (in Escalon, CA)

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Once again please don't ask me for one of these. I have not made them in a couple of years.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/coilcov.htm

That is a very nice mod you made. I will look around and see what I can find; in the pics my game does not have this mod. My game is shipping on Monday; can't wait to add it to the family.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I put lift-off hinges on mine so I could adjust the wing angle.
Edit: here's the link where I got the idea http://www.audihere.com/scstuff/

Pics Erik! I wanna see pics of my baby! >_<

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That is a very nice mod you made. I will look around and see what I can find; in the pics my game does not have this mod. My game is shipping on Monday; can't wait to add it to the family.

It's in ur game. I got one of his last ones!!!

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Great! I am too busy to re-tool to try and make more. I lost everything in a fire last December including the original forms that I used for shaping the covers.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Pics Erik! I wanna see pics of my baby! >_<

rawleys-baby.jpgrawleys-baby.jpg

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Sweet! I didn't see it in the photo! You are the man and I can't wait for the game to arrive!

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Rawley's Baby

Psshhhh , you know what I meant.
I wanna see pics of YOUR new baby, with the wings!

BTW, I broke the Vault crankshaft on Addams last week. Too much bookcase pounding.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yes. The support rails are an absolute must. All SC playfields warp to one degree or another. It's just a matter of time. The support rails will keep it nice and flat, and the game will play much truer.

I just PM'd you the contact information for the guy who makes them.

Shot him an email last night. Haven't heard back from the gentleman yet. Will give him another shot tomorrow. Thanks again everyone for all the feedback.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Shot him an email last night. Haven't heard back from the gentleman yet. Will give him another shot tomorrow. Thanks again everyone for all the feedback.

Hopefully he has some available. I bought a set last October, and he claimed to have very few sets left, Good luck.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Hopefully he has some available. I bought a set last October, and he claimed to have very few sets left, Good luck.

Thanks! Any other options that anyone can think of if the gentleman is sold out?

#42 10 years ago

Does yours come with the topper?

Factory is cheap cardboard. Someone made a nice hard plastic one.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Does yours come with the topper?
Factory is cheap cardboard. Someone made a nice hard plastic one.

Yes, it has a topper. I am assuming it is factory. Will know in a little over a week.

#44 10 years ago

Yes , the topper in plastic is more beatiful than the original.

I like this lock for Safe Craker

safetop.JPGsafetop.JPG saf2.JPGsaf2.JPG

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Thanks! Any other options that anyone can think of if the gentleman is sold out?

Just make them yourself.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Psshhhh , you know what I meant.
I wanna see pics of YOUR new baby, with the wings!
BTW, I broke the Vault crankshaft on Addams last week. Too much bookcase pounding.

That stinks! Hope that part is available. Here's some pics for you http://s151.photobucket.com/user/nitrozoom/library/pinball/Safecracker?sort=6&page=1

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Just make them yourself.

That would be challenging for me to do. I'm hoping the gentleman whose contact info ya'll gave me is on vacation or something.

#48 10 years ago

Years ago, someone on RGP had a token place make speciallized tokens for him.

They had the name of his gameroom on them, etc.

This way, he never worried about guests that decided to keep the token and not play it.

#49 10 years ago

So beautiful! What a game! I miss it dearly. Thanks for the pics Erik!

Yeah the crankshaft is available, very cheap part.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I have an unused one if you're interested Tiger. LMK.

Todd

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Royal Oak, MI
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 85.00
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

8,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safe-cracker-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.