fit.jpg
coil_mounting.jpg
mounting.jpg
coil.jpg
profile.jpg
ArmoredTruck.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Hi all,

I've had a Safe Cracker for a few years and have been following mods for it. Seems like there aren't many mods available other than the coil covers. I decided to take a shot at my own coil cover mod that was more in theme with the rest of the game.

I collect the tokens as well, so those gave me some ideas. Two obvious themes on the tokens that could possible work as token covers were the two trucks. The Getaway truck, however, is already in the artwork, and what happens during the game regarding the getaway truck didn't really match with the location of the coil cover. So I chose the armored truck.

Here's what I had to start with:

ArmoredTruck.jpgArmoredTruck.jpg

Here's what I came up with:

profile.jpgprofile.jpg

I couldn't figure out what the top thing was, but with the limited clearance I decided to just leave it off.

#2 9 years ago

So here's what the mod is supposed to cover: a fully exposed coil mechanism in the upper right of the playfield:

coil.jpgcoil.jpg

Instead of mounting to where the coil mechanism bracket attaches to the backboard, I decided to mount it using the coil stop bracket screws:

mounting.jpgmounting.jpg

coil_mounting.jpgcoil_mounting.jpg

#3 9 years ago

The mod is taller than the other coil cover mods I've seen. I was concerned it would be a problem, but it fit in just fine. Pulling out the playfield does require you to bring out the playfield as far forward as possible before tilting up. You can see in the picture that the truck fits nicely between the precut area.

fit.jpgfit.jpg

I put on a decal sign that matches what's seen on the token for now.

mounted.jpgmounted.jpg

There's still a few other things I'd like to do with it, like paint the wheels black, and come up with some cartoonish pictures of someone driving the truck (either burglars or the donut eating cop) that can be placed in the windshields. Also I noticed that it's kind of dark in that corner, with only the one flasher next to it providing light for it. There are some opportunities for putting LEDs in the truck or maybe just adding some GI to that area.

mounted2.jpgmounted2.jpg

#4 9 years ago

Pretty Cool. Nice Job

#6 9 years ago

very cool idea. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

#8 9 years ago

Rig the headlights to that flasher next to it? Might be cool.

#9 9 years ago

That's great!
I really like the look of it.
I also look forward to see how you finish it up!

#10 9 years ago

Nice to see a mod for Safecracker.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Rig the headlights to that flasher next to it? Might be cool.

I like you mod and Pinstym's headlight idea.

If you make it, I'll buy it!

#13 9 years ago

This is really cool! I bought one of the black coil covers, but if you were to sell this, I would definitely use yours instead. Add some paint and some LEDs and this will be stellar!

#14 9 years ago

Buid it! I'll buy it! Add lights too!

3 years later
#15 5 years ago

Would these happen to still be available?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safe-cracker-armored-truck-coil-cover-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.