6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I have known of scams for parts but it amazes me that I renew my ad for a backglass and I get this text from who knows where. The person sent in a text that they had the backglass. I knew to be skeptical because backglasses are hard to come by. I asked this person to send me a picture via email so I could check the image with google images. My friend showed me how to do this. Very helpful! I asked the guy to call me which he did. He was foreign. I asked him some questions about the backglass and he sounded strange. He said he was out of Texas. I told him I had a carrier coming through his town and could pick up the backglass and he hung up on me immediately. I knew it was a scam that is why I said this to him. It is sad when those of us who are looking for parts now have to deal with this garbage in the United States weeding out who is legit and who is a scam. Be careful!

#2 6 years ago

I have an ad up for a Ghostbusters, I've got at least 5 scammers so far. At this point I just like to mess with them. So easy to tell who is scamming. They will never allow you to come pick anything up or pay in person, normally foreign (in my case almost all have been Hispanic) and have weird grammatical errors. I would always make them Facetime / Skype or whatever and show me the product in hand. Scammers will always exist unfortunately.

Good luck finding your backglass man!

#3 6 years ago

I would recommend that you not put your phone number in your ads if you're getting scammers contacting you. We have had several reports of scammers reaching out to people who have phone numbers listed in their ads.

Just use the PM system and check out the profile of someone who messages you. If they have a posting history, that's usually an indication that they're active in the hobby and likely aren't a scammer.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sad-state-of-affairs-for-those-of-us-that-are-legit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.