Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B37FF901-9A91-4345-8886-D031A52FAE1B (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Marco (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manny65.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Unfortunately, the UK government is driving international sellers away from the UK marketplace.
    It is bad enough that I have to collect sales taxes for local sales but to collect sales taxes for foreign countries is a bit over the top.
    I do not have the means or time to keep track of foreign VAT taxes.
    As a result of their enforcing foreign sellers to collect VAT and send money to the UK - I will have to either enforce a $190 minimum buy or suspend sales to the UK.
    For our UK customers - I apologize in advance, I will not be able to sell to you for the time being.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-directly-to-customers-in-the-uk
    Ed Krzycki
    Great Plains Electronics
    www.GreatPlainsElectronics.com

Australia has done a similar thing 2 (??) years ago however only companies doing more than a certain revenue turnover need to collect the tax. It's to protect local retailers because if I purchase from them I have to pay a 10% Goods and Services Tax (GST), but previously if I went direct to the US supplier I could bring it in without the tax and it'd be cheaper for me. So by taxing anybody bringing in parcels means that the price I pay for goods whether from overseas or local will be similar and the local guys will be able to fulfill the order quicker. Oh and the government picks up more tax revenue

Given the horrendous shipping costs to Australia, I use a shipping forwarder (as per bluespin post) that can consolidate multiple items and ship me a single parcel saving on shipping multiple items. I have to declare all the goods and value to the shipping forwarder and they collect the tax on behalf of the Australian Government. So if I were to purchase via ebay.com or even Marco (I think) and put in an Australia delivery address they automatically add the Aust tax. Smaller foreign companies don't collect the tax but those items are typically picked up coming into Australia and we are contacted locally to pay the tax.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

To Manny in post #6 -- Australia is like everybody else and collects VAT at time of entry, not time of sale. In 20 years, I have never once pre-collected VAT for Australian orders and there has been no change during past couple years.

As I understand it, it only applies to those foreign traders doing more than a certain revenue turnover. Here's an example of the tax Marco would collect

Marco (resized).JPGMarco (resized).JPG
    #17 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

As a foreign seller to Australia, you only have to worry about Australian taxes if you sell $75K-AU per year. I have some pretty good customers in Australia but collectively, I don't do $58K-US to Australia per year.

Yep that's what I meant by "it only applies to those foreign traders doing more than a certain revenue turnover"

Quoted from G-P-E:

The weird thing about UK is they expect foreign sellers to only collect on values *less* than £135 which seems backwards.

This is weird, it's like they don't want to deal with all the low value imports so they'll put the onus onto the foreign seller

#41 3 years ago

How do they differentiate parcels coming into the UK between gifts (eg birthday presents etc) and goods being purchased?

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

At least with Australia I know what's going to happen. Packages almost always arrive within 48 hours of the first email asking "Hey, where's my package?". Never fails.
    -Hans

Haha yep this is so true! Recently had some parcels arriving within 3 weeks yet received an envelope yesterday that took over 6 weeks - the longest was almost 3 months but this was mid-last year when there were very few international flights. The good thing is at least they arrive!

1 week later
    #79 3 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

ColourDMD is about the only one I know collecting GST for Australia. If I ship internally and then ship to Australia I avoid this anyway. None of the other places I buy from attempt to collect GST that I’m aware of.

Hey JP - who do you use as a freight forwarder? I use Shipito and they definitely collect the GST

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manny65.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sad-day-for-our-uk-customers-?tu=manny65 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.