Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by G-P-E
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B37FF901-9A91-4345-8886-D031A52FAE1B (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Marco (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 3 years ago

Oh lord. I didn't know about this one at all until just yesterday. This is a pile of awful that I can't possibly comply with. I really hate to say it, but unless something changes, I'm going to have to do the same.

If it hits the EU too..... that's going to hurt even more, and I'm going to have to probably find an alternate system for the website. I don't do a huge amount of sales into the UK and the EU, but I do make some sales.

Ugh.

-Hans

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

What work is now involved states side? The store has to detect U.K. buyers and automatically charge the 20% vat? Then you have to sign up for a VAT number and do some sort or yearly VAT return to HMRC directly? (like a VAT registered company in the U.K. would do)

Pretty accurate summary from what I’ve been able to determine

#51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

and all the pay places support the buyers.
    I'm still wondering how something coming into customs the guy checking it is going to know if the tax was collected...

Easy. They open the package and look to see that VAT was collected as a separate line item, and they verify the sellers VAT account number. The onus is on the seller to make sure the correct documentation is provided. Trust me, they do look at these things all the time, based on customer complaints about how much the tax is or that it delayed delivery.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-records-invoices-and-credit-notes/invoices/what-information-is-required-on-a-vat-invoice.aspx

-Hans

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Yes, they most certainly do check these. They (Germany, if I remember correctly) even emailed me a nastygram stating that the declared amount on the customs form did not match the value given by my website.. They actually checked values against my website! OK, yes, there may have been a bit of a 'rounding error' on the customs form... Fortunately, it was only a nastygram.

Oh god, don't bring up shipping to Germany. Talk about Prussian attention to detail. I cringe whenever I have to ship there because I just know there will be one issue or another that'll either delay things or cost somebody an extra fee.

At least with Australia I know what's going to happen. Packages almost always arrive within 48 hours of the first email asking "Hey, where's my package?". Never fails.

-Hans

#62 3 years ago

But does the rule "go away" if you go over the limit? Or do additional regulations kick in?

-Hans

4 months later
    #91 2 years ago

Not unexpected, but still unfortunate. I miss the days when I was trading scale model kits with a couple internet acquaintances in the UK, I could send two kits for $10-$15 total without any customs fee's. Now the same box would cost me $50-75 to send plus all the duty and tariff and whatnot.

I'll have to look into the IOSS platform. On the surface it sure sounds easier than the UK requirement of establishing a full sales tax account and having to do regular financial disclosures. It also looks like people using UPS and similar services really won't see as much of an impact, mainly just collecting the VAT from the customer and paying it through to UPS. Only guys like me who use the postal service currently with have a drastic change.

On the flip side, now that Marco carries nearly all of my stuff (albeit at a higher pricing than myself) I may just transition all my EU sales over to Marco starting on July 1st. This was my original plan anyway.

-Hans

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sad-day-for-our-uk-customers-?tu=HHaase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.