(Topic ID: 63535)

Rust Remover for Legs (Discussed on a Podcast)

By Rush1169

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_7385.JPG
    100_7387.JPG
    100_7383.JPG
    100_7376.JPG
    100_7374.JPG
    100_7373.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

There was a podcast where the speakers told of some gallon of stuff, I think from Harbor Freight, that was reported to be a great product to make legs look new again.

The story as told was that you'd take a 3" PVC pipe cut long enough to hold some legs. You'd cap one end to keep in the liquid. Put one or more legs into the pipe and fill with the chemical so the leg(s) are submersed. Wait a day or two and the legs come out nice.

Does anyone remember the name of the product? Was it Evapo-Rust? Any personal results to report?

TY,
    Dan

#2 10 years ago

It was Evapo rust, I also want to try it. It was on gameroom junkies, they seemed to really love the results, have not tried it yet myself. At 30$ a gallon not super cheap, but if you had a bunch of legs may be worth it. I believe it is reusable as long as you keep a cap on it so it does not evaporate. I would love to see some before and after pics if anyone chimes in.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96431.html

Post edited by practicalsteve : added link to Harbor freight

#3 10 years ago

I love some evapo-rust.

#4 10 years ago

Evapo rust, also I used an SOS pad and a drimmel and that worked fine.

#5 10 years ago

Also pickup a gallon of Evapo-rubber-smell to get that stank off you once you leave Harbor Freight.

#6 10 years ago

didn't someone post that the PVC pipe soaking trick could use Coca-Cola too?

We always used to get Naval Jelly for taking the rust and pitting off chromed fenders and stuff, but I haven't seen it at the parts stores lately.

I find that just buying Metal polish for mag wheels works good on legs and other metal parts.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the confirmation - I have prolly 100 legs I'm going to treat so anything that involves too much labor isn't going to make me smile. Hopefully this stuff does the trick - I'll post my results

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

Thanks for the confirmation - I have prolly 100 legs I'm going to treat so anything that involves too much labor isn't going to make me smile. Hopefully this stuff does the trick - I'll post my results

Please do, if you have that many legs I can see why you don't want to scrub them with tinfoil and coke! That would take forever!

#10 10 years ago

Evaporust is amazing stuff, you won't be disappointed.

I used to be a naval jelly kind of guy, but evaporust changed all of that. I didn't take any pictures of before/after unfortunately, but I've since used evaporust on a lot of rusty stuff (not just pinball) and it's become my go to for removing rust.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Evaporust is amazing stuff, you won't be disappointed.
    I used to be a naval jelly kind of guy, but evaporust changed all of that. I didn't take any pictures of before/after unfortunately, but I've since used evaporust on a lot of rusty stuff (not just pinball) and it's become my go to for removing rust.

Definitely would like to see some pictures!

#12 10 years ago

Evaporust is awesome.

Don't forget to give the legs a little scrub with fine steel wool after soaking overnight. Also, make sure you don't forget about your soaking, especially if the container you're using isn't sealed (like a wallpaper tray); it will evaporate quickly. The stuff is reusable too.

I was planning to find 3" transparent plumbing tube that would fit 4 legs and seal it off with a cap. But I don't de-rust legs that often. If you do use a plastic wallpaper tray, make sure there aren't mold 'pimples' that can leak. Happened to me and very disappointed to open my garage in the morning to find a mess. The stuff isn't cheap either.

But it's supposed to be non-toxic, which is great, especially if you have wandering, curious kids.

100_7373.JPG100_7373.JPG 100_7374.JPG100_7374.JPG 100_7376.JPG100_7376.JPG 100_7383.JPG100_7383.JPG 100_7387.JPG100_7387.JPG 100_7385.JPG100_7385.JPG

#13 10 years ago

Lightning Rust Remover works great too. It's pretty disgusting to work with, though, and you still have to polish the parts afterward. In general I've found just putting in the time with steel wool and a metal polish is more pleasant.

#14 10 years ago

+1 on the Lightning Rust Remover! Locally at HD I tried A Must for Rust which worked pretty good, but slower than the Lightning. Lotsa' options as you see.

#15 10 years ago

Great Job with the pics of Rust Removal!! OTTOgd

I find that many times I expect that the chrome finish will still shine, or I can do all that work thinking they will be like new. In the end result, like the pics, I find myself priming the inside, and then spray painting it with a textured Black, (or other color) the two tone finish, polished chromed metal with a darker interior is a great look, and saves time trying to make the inside of legs look presentable.

#16 10 years ago

I have a set of legs in CLR currently (in a PVC pipe method). I am doing 20% CLR and the rest is water. I put them in yesterday after work and plan to take them out when I get home today. I can report back at that time.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Great Job with the pics of Rust Removal!! OTTOgd
    I find that many times I expect that the chrome finish will still shine, or I can do all that work thinking they will be like new. In the end result, like the pics, I find myself priming the inside, and then spray painting it with a textured Black, (or other color) the two tone finish, polished chromed metal with a darker interior is a great look, and saves time trying to make the inside of legs look presentable.

Thanks!

Priming the inside is a great idea. It has also been suggested to me in the past to wax the legs afterwards to frustrate the rusties.

#18 10 years ago

A great follow up, wax them!! CLR is great too.

When I restore old slot machines with rusty parts, Id soak in CLR, ( just cause it was cheaper) and after cleaning thoroughly with alcohol, would re soak them in a mixture of petroleum products, and they would restore to a nice aged Patina, then I'd buff the tops, if exposed bolts etc.
    I found this better then tumbling, with threaded parts.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have a set of legs in CLR currently (in a PVC pipe method). I am doing 20% CLR and the rest is water. I put them in yesterday after work and plan to take them out when I get home today. I can report back at that time.

Interested to see that, would be cheaper. Please post results.

#20 10 years ago

CLR worked liked a champ. Sorry I did not take before pics so not much point in after pics.

Just have to trust me that is worked excpetionally well! 20% CLR 80% regular tap water. Soak for 24hours then remove and use fine SOS pad and rinse very well mutpile times.

Standard old medium to badly surface rusted B/W legs now look brand new and shiny.

I dried and wiped down with novus 1 and wiped down with clean cloth after that. I am wax them just to seal them up but I don't think it is needed.

#21 10 years ago

would you guys use this on Gold Legs as well?

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

would you guys use this on Gold Legs as well?

Not at all....any and all of these chemicals will destroy any brass plating.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rust-remover-for-legs-discussed-on-a-podcast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.