6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4934 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4763 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4659 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4251 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4236 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4207 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4204 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4201 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4184 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4182 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4179 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4177 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Recently, I stumbled onto a youtube video where the car guys are using a molasses/water mix to remove rust from car parts. I had to try this. It works!

A jar of molasses from the store for $3.59

IMG_4177 (resized).JPGIMG_4177 (resized).JPG

Pinball legs before soaking

IMG_4179 (resized).JPGIMG_4179 (resized).JPG

IMG_4176 (resized).JPGIMG_4176 (resized).JPG

I read where you are to use nine parts water to one part molasses. I went with about 1-to-5.

IMG_4182 (resized).JPGIMG_4182 (resized).JPG

IMG_4184 (resized).JPGIMG_4184 (resized).JPG

My 4" PVC tube tank. A chemical reaction with the molasses and the rust cause a bubbling effect.

IMG_4201 (resized).JPGIMG_4201 (resized).JPG

Legs fresh out of the tank.

IMG_4204 (resized).JPGIMG_4204 (resized).JPG

After a wash and scrub down for 3 legs. One rusty leg is untouched for comparison. I brought them in and scrubbed with dish detergent and hot water. They cleaned up nice. Before you go out and spend $20.00 on some Evaporust, for less than $4.00 it is worth your time to try some molasses water.

IMG_4207 (resized).JPGIMG_4207 (resized).JPG

Here are some youtube vids.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=remove+rust+with+molasses

#2 6 years ago

Wait for it, here it comes...

It must work, I never have rust on my biscuits.

#3 6 years ago

It would be pretty slow in January, I hear.

2 weeks later
    #4 6 years ago

All jokes aside, I am impressed with how well the water/molasses mix removes rust.

The first pic is after soaking one half of a coin door insert for 3 days.

IMG_4236 (resized).JPGIMG_4236 (resized).JPG

After this I let the part soak for about 10 days. Result: All of the rust is gone. You can see the damaged area where the chrome was eaten away but there is no rust. When the last of my Evapo-rust is used up I'll continue with using the molasses since it seems to work well and is super cheap. Not too mention it is not a hazardous chemical and will not pollute.

IMG_4251 (resized).JPGIMG_4251 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

Very cool. I'll try it out on my Fire Power

#6 6 years ago

That is a pretty SWEET tip!

I hope it sticks in my head.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The first pic is after soaking one half of a coin door insert for 3 days.

Three days? Why, that's as slow as.....as.....hmmmm, what's a good simile here?

2 months later
    #8 6 years ago

Here is another set of legs I have been soaking to remove the rust . This pic was taken on Sept. 20.

IMG_4659 (resized).JPGIMG_4659 (resized).JPG

This pic is of the two legs in the back. This pic was taken on Oct. 5. So, this soak was for 15 days.

IMG_4763 (resized).JPGIMG_4763 (resized).JPG

Here are the same two legs. This pic was taken yesterday (Oct. 21). This was another 15 day soak.

IMG_4934 (resized).JPGIMG_4934 (resized).JPG

I have put the last leg in the pic back in to soak because there is still rust on the bottom.

I'm still using the same mix of molasses that I mixed up 3 months ago. The water evaporates from my dip tube so I just add more water. Since it is sugar and sweet tasting, flies and moths have flown in and got trapped. So it does stink but it is still getting at the rust.

I don't even use my Evaporust, anymore.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rust-removal-with-molasses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.