20220309_105743 (resized).jpg
01917F30-5D3C-4635-A0FE-2D5432E58144 (resized).jpeg
20220308_152414 (resized).jpg
C7E368C2-D152-4737-B5A1-6FBEFB91B63C (resized).jpeg
1D162556-741F-4F2C-8400-61D40CD21509 (resized).jpeg
DAADB7DB-5CF7-4A9B-B9F7-4AE9C50A883C (resized).jpeg
D86D0F35-6F29-4C63-A0FD-AE003E7016B9 (resized).jpeg
5B476B4A-5408-46C6-BFF6-B775FED89A42 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#256 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I was exposed to them in 1980 with permanent waves.
I like to think that many of their style changes came in 3's before finding "their" sound with moving pictures
rush - fly by night - caress of steel
2112 - a farewell to kings - hemispheres
permanent waves - moving pictures - signals
there are so many great deep cuts on all of their albums. tracks that didn't get much (if any) airplay, like:
- in the end (fly by night)
- something for nothing (2112)
- circumstances (hemispheres)
- jacob's ladder (permanent waves)
- witch hunt & vital signs (moving pictures)
and all of the instrumentals are just awesome jams

I saw them 14 times over the years, many memorable shows and songs played. One of the top highlights was seeing Vital Signs played when they did the entire Moving Pictures album. To see a band perform a song better than the studio version takes a lot of things to make it happen. Energy, timing, sound system, trust, cohesion with each other, etc. They made it look easy.

#264 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

You can check out Rush Chronicles (a compilation album from 1990) for a good mix of their music up to that point.

It's missing some of the best work towards the later years as it only goes to 89. So technically, it only covers half of their career, but it's a starting point.

#265 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I seem to be stuck on these albums, I bought Permanent Waves when it first came out in 1978 (red vinyl, still have it in my collection) :
2112 - a farewell to kings - hemispheres
permanent waves - moving pictures - signals
Am I missing much from the later albums? I guess I enjoy the longer more instrumental songs from the earlier albums. Any other albums I should check out after all these years?

Yes. You never listened to Grace Under Pressure or Power Windows? You missed some of their best work.

#280 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

He’s got a point. Everything up to Signals is most likely to be on the machine. I can’t really see anything that could complete with the early years if you only had 12-15 choices.

I would guess the later albums will definitely get some representation on the machine. Far Cry for certain.

#291 2 years ago
Quoted from jpc211245:

Definitely my favorite song.

Mine as well. It's a truly perfect song. Just how the chorus re-arranges itself back into the main riff with Neil's drums is perfection.

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

You guys got me wanting to grab the entire Rush catalog now lol. Shameful, as I should already own it.
Missing some essential shit like Hemispheres and Permanent Waves.

Permanent Waves has the excellent Entre Nous.

#389 2 years ago
Quoted from BigT:I am really fond of Distant Early Warning, but I doubt it will make the cut.

Great freakin song - especially live. I bet Red Sector A will make it.

#395 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Superficial? Sure. But such a GREAT FCKIN VIDEO and track, we all know this.

People marveled all over Neil, and I get it. He was one of the best.

But Geddy played bass (at a high level of musicianship), does all vocals, plays keys, and bass pedals. All in the same song and live too. He's a fucking boss!

#463 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

I stopped with new slbums at Counterparts. Whats special about Far Cry?

It's a freakin great song! Probably one of the better from the latter period.

#464 2 years ago

Was REALLY hoping Red Sector A or Mystic Rhythms would get a slot on there - something from the synth era which is my favorite. Although Big Money made the cut - so all is not lost.

I guess this is like the first true "prog" pin?

#542 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackwolf:

Pretty sure that YYZ is shorthand for the company that owns all the RUSH trademarks. SRO, as stated earlier, is their management company.

I thought YYZ was Morse code for the musical pattern of the song....

#551 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...and you're thinking of ABACAB.

No - Abacab was named after the sections of the song bits Genesis was putting together. Another great band though!

Here is what I found about YYZ....

Title and composition

YYZ is the IATA airport identification code for Toronto Pearson International Airport, of Rush's native area of Toronto. It is common practice for air navigation aids to broadcast their identifier code in Morse code using VHF omnidirectional range (VOR). A plane using VOR equipment would then always know it's tracking the right station. The song's introduction, played in a time signature of 10/8 (not 5/4 as the eighth note clearly is receiving the beat, not the quarter note), repeatedly renders the letters "Y-Y-Z" in Morse Code using various musical arrangements.

#572 2 years ago
Quoted from Ponzie:

A Genesis pin! (the band...) Now that would be my grail pin... But excited to see what Rush looks like. Any day with new pinball is a good day!

You talk about an elite group of musicians that get no respect! Saw a few shows on their recent (last) tour in the states, and I was surprised at the crowd levels for a band that had not released any music for 29 years.

#676 2 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Rush official Facebook finally put the video up three hours ago over 27,000 views already.
I believe they’re going to have lots and lots of assets and footage from the comedy intermissions of the Time Machine tour which is fantastic I can’t wait to see what Stern does with this game I think it’s going to be amazing.
[quoted image]

...and they should. That was some impressive and hilarious material. The best was probably the Alex segments from Snakes and Arrows - bizarre but interesting as well.

#804 2 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

I was there too![quoted image]

Wow! Would have loved to see some of those shows from the 80's! I first saw them on the Presto tour - having missed Hold your Fire. If only I could have seen Hold your Fire or Power Windows (isn't Mystic Rhythms one of the best songs ever?)

#805 2 years ago

I might have missed it - but any word on who is doing the art?

#880 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Billy joined DLR solo along with Steve Vai and Greg Bissonette .That was a great short run .Eat Em and Smile was a gem IMO.

The first DLR album is way better than it ought to be. Some damn fine songs on it.

#909 2 years ago
Quoted from Dobler:

I got to see them for Hold Your Fire and Presto. I always wished I had seen them on earlier tours, but Hold Your Fire was my first real concert. Went with my best friend and our parents dropped us off and picked us up because we couldn’t drive yet. It was in LA too (The Forum in Inglewood) and looking back I’m a bit surprised that they let us go, but I’m more surprised that they were able to find us after the show in those days before cell phones.
I feel so lucky that I was also able to see their very last show which also happened to be at that same venue.

My parents dropped me off as well back when I was 16. There is no way in I would do that today with my kids. Hell - my 20 year old went to a metal show a few weeks back and I was nervous as a dog in a Chinese restaurant. With age, comes experience and the knowledge of how full of shit the world (people) really is.

#1000 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I think this is very possible. 17 is just such a strange number.
I vote for YYZ and Roll the Bones.

I'll take YYZ and Red Sector A.

#1001 2 years ago
Quoted from jpc211245:

The live version of Mystic Rhythms on A Show of Hands is outstanding!

It's a masterpiece.

#1030 2 years ago
Quoted from jpc211245:

If there are a couple of songs to be added I’d be thrilled if any came from this list. No particular order.
The Camera eye
The body electric
Roll the bones
The pass
The enemy within
Mystic rhythms
Vital signs
Finding my way
Something for nothing

Nice list there.

I used to love The Pass when they did it live for a few years back in the late 90's. They also pulled it out for the Vapor Trails tour.

Speaking of Vapor Trails - I forgot how insane this was.....

#1035 2 years ago

I don't think any of their re masters are worth it. Only one I would upgrade on is vapor trails.

#1038 2 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

It would be nice to get a Bluray concert of them during a concert where they all are "on"/ on point.
I stopped going to Rush concerts several years ago when Geddy's voice took away from the Rush experience for me.
Case in point 2011 Time Machine tour Live in Cleveland. Only song where his voice was on point was thankfully *Subdivisions*.
The rest of the band sounded great though especially the instramental tunes of course.

Rush in rio is the best.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1087 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

I think 3 will show up - Roll the Bones, Animate and Driven.

Sounds good to me.

Animate would be kick ass.

#1309 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

blood will be spilled over these LE machines.
Layout is like
a return of the LOTR ring shot, but with a moving ramp!
the side-eject scoop!
Radical-style ramp diverter!
A drop bank with an Xmen-style captive ball physical lock behind it!!!
Geddy Lee and Ed Robertson on callouts????!!!!

And Alex.

#1314 2 years ago

Impressed with what I see so far. Having the band be that involved is a huge bonus. Thanks to Ed for making that happen.

Leaning towards the Premium art package -although the album covers on the cab on the LE are a nice touch.

#1818 2 years ago

While they didn't really have hit singles, their newest videos were played on MTV pretty regularly and they sold out a lot of indoor arenas. Many bands from that era were not single makers, but had deep followings, KISS is another example. Not every video with high airplay was a top ten single and vice versa.

For radio - the classics were always played and the newest single here and there, but the deep cuts never made it. I used to hate Rush - all I heard was Freewill (still hate the song with a passion), Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, etc.

When I was hanging out one day at my friend's house (I was 17), we always listened to music (albums). I heard Distant Early Warning, Afterimage, and Red Sector A together - in a row. Those 15 minutes changed my (musical) life. I was dumbfounded when I found out it was RUSH.

The rest is history as they say.

#1934 2 years ago

Gene and Paul have many times talked about their friendship with Rush - even mentioned in their books a few times, including Neil's books.

There was a photo of Paul and Geddy and Alex on an airport tarmac a few years ago - they were passing through and caught up briefly.

#2465 2 years ago
Quoted from jpc211245:

The game looks absolutely marvelous! Music, lights, concepts, and flow! Bravado!

Bravado is a great song BTW - just sayin.

#2675 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I've gone rick and morty on this title.....
That is, i have looked att all the clips on youtube, wiki it etc.
I'm sorry to say, i'm totally puzzled.
The music(?) Is really terrible. The main char is supercreepy, weird and a spitting image of the sleeze char in the warriors movie.
You know the "come out and play" char.
I was so confused, i even played some of their songs(?) At a get together and none cared for it.
Strange. The game looks nice though.
Anybody care to explain. Puzzled.

In high school - there were two kinds of people. Those who "got" RUSH, and those who didn't.

Don't worry about - just go spend some time on ACDC, GNR, MET, etc. Those bands are much more accessible and easier to digest.

#2725 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Your feelings there are actually not uncommon. Rush did have many different phases they went thru, and depending on the listener some more popular than others. I have several later albums I’m not fond of either. I will say this to all you Terry Brown era Rush fans: listen to 2 of their later albums, Vapor Trails (look for the remixed version) and especially Clockwork Angels. I put Clockwork Angels up there with any of the Terry Brown era albums, and the song Headlong Flight is in my Top 5 ever for them.

It's interesting, we all love the same band but have different tastes. My favorite era is the synth era(79-89), but also love the later period including Presto, RTB, Counterparts, etc. Vapor Trails has some great stuff on it, but Headlong Flight does nothing for me, nor does A Farewell to Kings or Hemispheres. But a lot of people love that era and it's awsome. We don't have to like the same songs - long as we love the composers right?

If you really want to see a civil war, go wander into a Genesis forum some day.

#2727 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well the hall of fame IS a bit of a joke, but all you have to hear is the extensive applause they got when their name was announced at the induction ceremony to know that they earned their place there.
Please...watch this video at the 1:30 mark to understand how much fellow musicians respect and appreciate the work of these guys:

I never saw that before. Beyond words.....

#2836 2 years ago

Ordered a Pro - but one thing that concerns me is what appears to be the constant changing of songs with shots. I need to hear one song or most of one song all the way through, and not have a medley of 20 seconds of each song at a random pace. KISS and MET did this nicely. Hope this isn't an issue.

#2851 2 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

It's probably closer to Maiden, where you can pick a song, but if you enter a specific song mode or multi ball, then it's overridden. Once done w/the mode, it'll return to you to the song you picked.

That's not cool at all. One of the reasons I sold Maiden was because of that.

We're going to get 15 seconds of Cygnus at a time? Hopefully this is changed on a later update. Again - MET and KISS got it perfect. LZ is pretty good too - can totally rock out to the songs, find the rhythm and grove playing pinball.

Speaking of perfection.....

#2932 2 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

I have this DVD set. The SHow of Hands disc has the following:
The Big Money
Marathon
Turn the Page
Prime Mover
Manhattan Project
Closer to the Heart
Red Sector "A"
Force Ten
Mission
Territories
The Rhythm Method - Drum Solo
The SPirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer
The Temples of Syrinx/ La Villa Strangiato/ In the Mood
If you already knew this, then I apologize for taking up the bandwidth.

Not bad at all. The Grace Under Pressure set list is even better.

#2990 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

GREAT pic!!
Picked this up today, honestly can't remember a single track off of this.[quoted image]

Animate is the shit. Many others are good as well. It’s like Sgt Peppers... not many singles but a whole album of great songs.

Between the Sun and the Moon, Cild Fire, lots of great tracks. Best of the pre Vapor Trails/post synth era.

#2993 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Jack, relax… get busy with the facts…

no zodiaks or almanacs or maniacs in polyester slacks...

#3039 2 years ago
Quoted from kool1:

I actually didn't mind Roll the Bones at all, I liked the song too. It was the time and hey, I understand some don't like.
Counterparts just rocks, great songs too. I listened to it beginning to end last week for the first time in a while and Im just amazed how good it really was. I was definitely more of an 80' and 90s Rush fan.

Good points. I love most of their material - each of it has a little bit of something different. They had to change as to do the same type of music over and over and over gets boring as hell.

While I like RTB (the music, not the phiolosophy behind it) as I look back on it, the last of the complete albums were Counterparts and Vapor Trails. Everything else has a few good tracks on it, but a lot of filler.

Someone mentioned Hands Over Fist recently - loved that song!

#3040 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Animate is a helluva an opener.

Listen to this baby. I think it's a federal crime to treat a bass like Geddy is on it.

#3121 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Lot of RUSH fans crap on Roll the Bones album, but it was a huge hit for them, and the tour was continued for three legs, they came through SoCal 3 times.
I love the Album.

It has a few good songs on it, with Bravado being the best which includes his trademark double speed roll at the end. They played Dreamland WAYYYYY to long on tours after the album. They must have liked the song a lot.

I fundamentally disagree with the album's philosophy, but luckily able to separate it from the musical creativity on it.

#3195 2 years ago
Quoted from gsrogers:

Looking at the factory pictures of Rush being assembled I have to ask if these are being built for the international market. Reason is the coindoors have only 1 slot. According to the pics on Sterns website all the games have 2 slots. Hmmm
[quoted image]

Can’t be. We’ve been told RUSH is unknown outside the US.

#3388 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

My latest track obsession:
Between Sun and Moon
CRIKEY!! What an amazing song!
The 1st five tracks on this album rule so hard I really haven't even gotten to side B yet ha.
Can't believe I never picked up this album until recently....shame!

Listen to Cold Fire.

#3458 2 years ago

Pretty cool that Lyman loved Animate. Probably one of my top 5 RUSH songs.

One album not to overlook is Vapor Trails. Yes the original mix was piss poor, but Ghost Rider, Secret Touch, Earthshine, and Peaceable Kingdom are all great songs. Secret Touch and Earthshine were great live tracks with a lot of energy behind them (see Rio).

#3479 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

It is an awesome album, their comeback after their hiatus. The remix is awesome!!

Remix is much better, but find live versions - such as on Rush in Rio, or even R30. Neil gave everything he head on Secret Touch live - the intensity and complexity of the drums is amazing.

1 week later
#3943 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

PSA: if you haven't watched and/or don't own Beyond the Lighted Stage, better watch it now -- just watched it with my son and Netflix warned us it's going away on Feb. 14!
[quoted image]

The Pass, Presto, and Available Light are where it's at for me, absolutely love these three. Handful of other decent ones, and Hand Over Fist is one of my least favorite Rush songs.

Hand Over Fist is my favorite track on that album.

#3959 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

[quoted image]

You don't like Hand Over Fist but like Madonna?

Besides Get Into the Groove, Madonna's music is shit. Just like Culture Club - Just sayin.

#3984 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Methos, buddy, I was absolutely not making fun of you with that post. I've never heard the Rush song, but anytime I hear the phrase "hand over fist" I immediately think of THIS guy: Hanover Fist. From Heavy Metal, 1981.
Just clarifying.
[quoted image]

I can't believe I missed that reference, and I love the movie Heavy Metal. Consider me schooled and I apologize.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 229.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Gameroom Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 42.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

10,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tatamy, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Virginia Beach, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rush-pin-all-the-world-is-indeed-a-stage-and-we-are-merely-players?tu=Methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.